Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is my first build and first time here. Super stoked so just posting what I got. Thanks everyone please leave any feed back or input, I am new and would appreciate it. This is my first bike build, I have done cars and trucks. I have rejet and got the engine all tuned. I created a custom aerogel starting systeming that replaces the battery but will still use electric start. I will be replacing the back shocks and resealed the front. Not sure what the tank is from by is self banged and molded to shape. The head light is an old navy spot light and I have wired in a 25w led into it. I have removed the front turn signals and wiring in a custom ones in back. It's stock exhaust the twin exhaust. ....I do have a question if anyone can help, my tank will not have a petcock(. Know bummer and stupid but I can't find a way and its just a short distance bike) so going to run a fuel line from each side of the tank to each carb so two lines from tank, will that work fine being as it is gravity fed? Thanks again everyone. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am about to finish all welds for the new mounts then I will be bring her to my paint booth to prime it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You will definitely regret having no petcocks. No doubt about it.
Do you say that because I won't have a res tank? Or another reason? I wish I could but how the tank needed to be mounted I could not fit it and I have no idea what the tank is from so can't find a replacement petcock for it

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
You can buy in-line taps. You need them because your carbs will eventually leak and fuel will piss out everywhere.

Yes - they will.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got fuel cut off lines on both of them, because ya no doubt they would overflow the carbs. Thanks for all the input everyone I really appreciate it

·
Registered
477 Posts
A lot of potential here, the 450 can make a really stunning cafe bike. Yeah...you want to fit some kind of fuel shut off cocks...and get used to using them. I have a friend who didn't and he would up regretting it big time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ya I got my self these to clips that I just clip down and cuts off fuel, but a big question I have is my two fuel lines. My gas tank has to output on each side of the tank near the rear( the ones to usually balance out the fuel in the tank), would it work if I ran a fuel line from left side straight to left carb and right side to right carb? Have you guys ever heard of anyone doing this? My fear is that it will have uneven flow but as long as the tank is pretty full it should not matter, and the tank will always be full.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Does not matter - even if left or right side had different level the float level inside the carb will stay the same. So yes one side could run outbearlier, thats about it as far as I can think of.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
Are you going to undo those clips every time you park your bike? Can't see them lasting too long.

In-line fuel taps. Check them out.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
clips on a fuel line? fail. fuel line is rubber (or neoprene). Constantly pinching and un-pinching them will cause them to fail very fast. It is all the most bullshit hackery I can think of. you want a no muss fuel cock? get a vacuum operated one like the gs series bikes used.

what on earth possessed you to pound knee dents into that tank? and what did you use, a claw hammer?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i did the knee dents to it becuase i like the tanks that have them, i think it looks good, just my personal opinion and it made it a one of a kind, there is no tank out there that is identicle to mine. i think if your making a cafe racer make it they way you want that is you, and i used a body tapping kit to do it. i agree maybe the clips wont work and i will have to switch to a inline valve but that is all testing and experimenting, if it fails is not the end of the world.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
what are your goals for this bike?

strip out all the bullshit TV chopper lingo like "make it your own" and "one of a kind" and tell me in 2 sentences what you want your bike to do.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Man I don't have a plan, it's not a race bike or a daily driver or show bike, it's just building a bike how I want with what I have access to. It will be used just to cruise every once in awhile. I bought a project bike got the engine running nice now tearing it down and building it back up how ever I want.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
it's not building a bike it's throwing shit against a wall.

you need a plan. great works come from those who can see the finish line before the race starts. unfinished projects sold cheap on CL come from schmucks doing it the way you are doing it.

you use the word "want" an awful lot for someone who has no idea what he actually "wants".

if you just want something to "cruise" every once in a while buy a harley and be done with it. I hear they have good deals on financing for nightsters.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I like your work so far, of course I have a soft spot for bikes that look like they've re-entered earth's atmosphere. Geets' right about a plan. If you have a long term vision of what you want the bike to look like and perform like then you aren't bastardizing your way into something that is strictly a conversation piece and isn't really fun to ride. Having a plan dosen't mean that you cant change along the way, it just means that you prioritize your efforts and pause before you start going off on some different direction that dosen't help the end product.

I like that your putting emphasis on suspension and engine health early. When you go for figuring out what's comfortable to you then the bike will hopefully need minor tweaks. Keep an eye out for a CB450 gas tank. it may solve some of your issues and be a relief. Take care of the exhaust- even if you don't like them they are valuable.

Where the hell is "Slo?"

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
It's far from saying I have not planned what I am doing when I said I don't have a plan, as I don't have a plan what this bike will be used for if I end up keeping it or not ect but I have pages and pages of designs, calculation, code, colors ect. I just have to use most of the parts I acquired already can't go out and buy a fiberglass cafe tank. I tested the compression, rejet, bored, regasketed, sand blasted frame, everything was on a list and set up to hopefully finish by the planned date( usually doesn't work that way). But there are always problems that I had to solve like my tank fuel issue, I don't have a concrete plan, but I already had the tank so was going to use it. I have created a mirco computer that displays mph, rpm, temp, gear that is displayed on a led display that is kind of hidden between tank and fork to keep vintage look, I created a battery eliminator system out of aerogel capacitors that can still use electric start. I have planned to we wire and almost done doing it for most of the harness. I may not have every issue solved but I have always had a plan, all the basics like what I am doing to engine and what it will look like have all been planed

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I will post some of my designs and wiring schematic and fabrication designs from solid works if it will let me, you guys can see and give me some input on any other mods to my fab before I prime. Thanks again everyone I do like the advice

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Couple other questions, any advice on re installing engine after being polished and ect into a freshly painted and wet sanded frame with out scratching it? Also I was not planning on having front turn signal primarily for looks, I have high powered led ones in rear, what's your guys opinion?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts