Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm trying to find these tabs for the side covers. I have side covers but no tabs or plugs whatever you call them. I cannot find them anywhere on the Internet or I don't know th
Product Font Bicycle part Material property Gas
e right name for them. Also not opposed to a work around anything I can do to get these side covers attached. Already have the grommets. Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean.
The side covers have the three prongs on them moulded into the plastic as part of the side covrr

Those prongs sit in specific grommets in the frame.

So are you saying you don't have the grommets that go in the frame or you don't have side covers with prongs on?

If you have side covers without the prongs then you have either cheap repros or damaged standard side covers.

Let us know what is what

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have the side cover prongs. When I got the motorcycle the side covers were off of it and the prongs are missing.

·
Registered
1979 XS750
129 Posts
I’m always willing to try zip-ties on about anything. I’d bet that’s the ticket to your “work around”

·
Registered
154 Posts
You have one in that cover already. To use for reference.

Make a cylinder of epoxy with some glass fire mat mixed in. Could use a shot glass as an initial mould to get your cylinder.

The get on the sanding wheel (or lathe if you're lucky enough to have one) and whittle it down to the desired dimensions and then epoxy into the holes. Use the one you have for reference.

Either that or buy complete covers.

Pretty sure the prongs aren't available as an item to purchase separately

·
Administrator
319 Posts
Miniman2's advice is sound. But if you want just a really simple and easy fix - get a piece of wood dowel the same size as the hole and cut/shape it to size with a Stanley/utility knife and then glue in place. Should take you all of 10 minutes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found a solution. I think it'll be a pretty good one will post pictures when I'm finished. No paint these are the old covers. Will paint later

1 - 14 of 14 Posts