Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moving the posts from general to here since I've made something that seems like progress.

The bike was dropped off a couple of days ago. Two flat tires and a locked rear wheel.

The first thing I had to do was get the rear wheel unstuck so I could move the dang thing. That has since been done.

I ended up removing the brake pads. The shoes were catching and preventing the wheel from turning. Since the comstocks will be replaced if the rest of the bike is ever working, I'm not concerned right now.

I went over the electrical... some previous owner hacked it up, but everything appears to work.

The motor turns over, obviously not starting.

At this point, I'll drain the fuel and fluids, check the plugs, and work on getting it fired up. Any suggestions, comments, or flames are appreciated!

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
At least take the bowls off the carbs and have a look at what crap is in there. If the bike has been sitting that long that the rear brake has seized there's no way it's going to fire up by just adding some fuel and crossing your fingers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup! I'm doing exactly that. I put the rear wheel back on so I could get the bike moved (it was at work and I need it at my house shop)

Once back, I started all the fluids off, drained em.

The gas tank poured out chocolate milk.... grossness. I've got that sitting on my workbench to work on in a few days.

Pulled the carbs... they are pretty nasty.

This is going to be my first experience cleaning and reconditioning carbs. Any suggestions, let me know, otherwise I'll be pouring through the boards and my tech manual for the next couple of weeks figuring out what steps are next.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright! Progress. I ordered carb rebuild kits for the carbs (Carb Rebuild Kit - Made in Japan - 16100-300-034) Carb Rebuild Kits, Gaskets - Fuel System - Products - CB750 Supply - Honda CB750 SOHC 1969-78 Parts.
Scrubbed the carbs inside and out, used wire, cotton, and anything else to get absolutely every surface I could get to cleaned out. Dipped them in a chemical bath, and now I'm waiting to reassemble till I get the kits in. Time consuming, but not difficult. Marked everything so I can put it back together like I found it.
Started cleaning out the tank. I ended up shaking it for about 6 hours to get the rust out. When it was done, the inside looked new. I put on some Red Kote, it's drying. In another 24 hours I'll do one more coat. That stuff is super easy to use! A 1/3 of a quart is about all it took.

I'm not worried about the dents in the tank. I'm going to rip all the paint off of it and laquer it. Does anyone have a recommendation for lacquering a tank? I have done wood floors, furniture, etc... but I don't know what will hold up to gas and weather.

http://s185.photobucket.com/user/Kalenth/media/4B40B495-3B39-4089-85AE-76EE4E52CF91-3317-000002297957D661_zpsd7196447.mp4.html

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
actually those don't look too bad.

you are still missing the o-rings for the fuel rails that go between the carb bodies. The kits won't have those.

also make sure you note the jet size of all the jets currently in your carbs. reference it against the kit size, if they are different re-use your old jets (after you clean them of course).

make sure you test your floats in gasoline to insure that they actually float. Sometimes stale gas can ruin them and cause them to lose buoyancy. cut a coke can in half, fill it with gasoline, drop the float in. If it sinks to the bottom throw it away and buy another.
redkote is awesome stuff.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I need help finding a part! The Fuel "T" that connects the carbs broke. I can't braze it back together, and I can't find a specific part number. Any ideas?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Its NLA from honda so you are boned. time to buy a second set of carbs for parts. How did you break it anyway? were you using a hammer or pliers in a way you shouldn't have been? It's not usually a fragile piece.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
lacquering a tank? - I don't think you will find that type of paint anymore - you more than likely will use an enamel type paint. This paint will hold up well to gas and such. You can apply it either as a one-stage (just paint) or two-stage (paint & clear coat). I'd recommend the two-stage paint.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fixed. I figured that I could replace the "O" rings easily, so I did some research on welding, went to the local shop, got a rod of SSF-6 silver for $1.00, and brazed the bastard. It's currently cooling in the shed, stronger than ever. (ugly as shit, but I can deal with ugly)

It's weird, it came off the bike and just separated. I could see where the original weld had just let go... maybe it got knocked around some time ago while on the bike? I dunno. So now I just need to clean it, replace the o-rings, and get the carbs back on the bike. Them maybe I'll stare at it for a month before I figure out what I'm doing.

I'll take the small victories. Something else will kick my ass on this bike before I'm done, so I gotta enjoy the small stuff.

Before:

After:

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Hey, if it works...

Nobody is going to see that anyway.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lacquering a tank? - I don't think you will find that type of paint anymore - you more than likely will use an enamel type paint. This paint will hold up well to gas and such. You can apply it either as a one-stage (just paint) or two-stage (paint & clear coat). I'd recommend the two-stage paint.
Thanks for the HU Bob. I'll take a look around and see what might work best. I just met an moto-painter in town, he'll have some advice I'm sure.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Colorrite sells an epoxy urethane clear that I swear by (they call it KK7). They sell it in a 1 pint size (with catalyst container) and it comes with an aerosol attachment which is only good for taking up space in the trash can. But you can spray the clear un-reduced in an HVLP spray gun pretty well. It was developed for gas tanks and resists gasoline very well.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
It is amazing what can be done with a rattle can. And with a bit of buffing, it can be fantastic. I have not seen the 2 part in a can, but that is the same idea as the stuff I was talking about. I'll have to keep that in mind next time I paint a tank!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts