Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, New to the forum and the world of motorcycle ownership. I got a 1972 Honda CL100 Rolling Chassis for $150.00. With the CL I got the full frame, engine, transmission, Showa rear shocks and forks and some sort of Honda wheels I have yet to identify. I have been ordering parts as I can afford them off E-bay. Today I found a 1970 SL100 Enduro, I was planning on using it as a parts bike, I know not everything is interchangeable I was wondering if anyone had any info on what is interchangeable. I will link to my pics in another post on the same thread. I will also be posting pics on my progress as I go. I would really appreciate any pointers and hints you more experienced owners can provide. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I like little toy bikes... Here is my '70 CL100 I restored:

Just use an online fiche site to identify and cross reference parts.

The little Hondas are simple and easy to work with as long as you have $$, time, some mechanical experience, (JIS) tools, a good factory service manual, patience, a multimeter, common sense, a sense of humor.....etc... etc...

Also, I recommend you read this book:

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
First use the IMG link form photobucket

Thats mine

Wholly holes batman! what did you buy?
These bikes SUCK as cafe racers or what ever you think cafes are. I had one and it was almost unrideable. They are just to small and hard to do the mods necessary to make work.
The dragon tattoo bike has a few newbie bandwagon jumping fails on it. Read up around here and get an idea what they are.
That said its not the worst thing to build to.

Personally I would take that SL frame and build up a mini baja bike out of it. Much more useable every day and I think more fun

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Do us all a favor and go kill yourself. Ok maybe not kill yourself but something to knock some sense into you.

Jag, the 125 motorsport is a different bike. It may be the same engine but IIRC it is physically bigger than the cb/cl 125.

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
The SL bikes (100, 125, 350) all had the word motorsport listed near them. Kinda like a CBXXX*F always had super sport near by

He has the parts and can build a bike like that article, way cooler then a ghey cafe out of one

Dean,
I love the rack, its so helpful.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice CL jag. I know, the holes. The guy I bought it from bought it from someone who was using it as a flat tracker. Why they thought making swiss cheeses out of any available surface would really help them on the track I have no clue.

The dragon tattoo bike was the first bike I saw in a long time that I liked. I am so used to seeing mid life crisis Harleys, I forgot bikes could be cool. And as far as I understand a "Cafe" is a bike stripped of non essentials and comfort items. I know speed is the object with a Cafe, but with my budget and lack of experience I thought I would start small. As for the "fails", I would love to see an honest critique of what is wrong with it.
The frame for the Enduro is something I have not thought about, getting the Enduro was only a development that came about this afternoon. I might just have to sell it to fund this build.
Holy shit! Nader wrote a follow up? What a sense of humor on that guy!

Geeto, you know killing myself is not as easy as it sounds? Jumping a Geo Prizim through a house, and Congestive heart failure were just not enough. Maybe a motorcycle will finish the job nature could not. An honest critique may help me see the error of my ways faster than a concussion or death.

Having a bike exactly like the article is not that important, right now speed is not either. Just something I like to look at, and ride. A REAL mans cafe bike can always come later. I need to learn how to ride something more powerful than a moped or scooter without ending up in a wheel chair, again.

Thanks for the advice guys, I really do appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Pay no attention to these nay sayers. Little bikes are a blast! Like the old cliche "its more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow". I know all about slow, I race a pushrod 50....well, I did for 1/4 lap until it blew up, but it will be ready for the August races!

Dean, is that a real book it your post or something you made up? The picture and the authors name match up, and I know he has been published in the past.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
quote:It's la Bellisima Motocicleta alla Deano! In Lancia red, and with a real Made in Italia fuel tank.
See it here:http://xs500.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=bom&action=display&thread=275
I see that bike, drool, and forget my name for 3 seconds. What did it start out looking like being a $200 CL find?

quote:Just use an online fiche site to identify and cross reference parts.
Can you recommend a good fiche? I have been using Buymotorcycleparts.com

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
Selling the Sl to fund the bike with the holes is a mistake. That thing is scrap.
Dont want an enduro? fine, but I still maintain that the cafe look is a bad idea on a single honda
Even on a budget things can be improved, cafes are not just about making hte bike uncomfortable, its about improving.

Run the drum off a CB160 or any bike that would be larger, swap forks from a cb350, again anything would be better then whats there
You can score a few stock CB350 parts from the FCB racers here cheap I bet.
Motorsports bike is the way to go

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
quote:Originally posted by wasp

quote:It's la Bellisima Motocicleta alla Deano! In Lancia red, and with a real Made in Italia fuel tank.
See it here:http://xs500.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=bom&action=display&thread=275
I see that bike, drool, and forget my name for 3 seconds. What did it start out looking like being a $200 CL find?
It looked like this, however before you continue to drool... keep in mind that it was a budget build theme bike, a daily rider, not a racer

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
quote:Originally posted by JackC

Dean, is that a real book it your post or something you made up? The picture and the authors name match up, and I know he has been published in the past.
it's on the internet... so it might be real
..if not , it should be

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
After 2 weeks of dicking around with this CL I am totally abandoning the Cl build. I have managed to part the bike out and sold the frame to some guy who is going to chop it up and make some kind of Rickshaw for Burning man. I stopped listening after the words Burning man came out of his mouth, so I have no clue what the hell he meant by Rickshaw.
I managed to pick up A CB160 for half of what I sold the other bikes for, and ended up making $200.00 more than I put in, great success. I will start a new thread with the CB160. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts