Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
There seems to be a common thread on all these 'cafe racers' on craigslist and ebay,-
"The whole bike was torn down completely except for the
motor" .
It's incredible.

·
Registered
551 Posts
There seems to be a common thread on all these 'cafe racers' on craigslist and ebay,-
"The whole bike was torn down completely except for the
motor" .
It's incredible.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
He says it pumped 180psi on compression test.

Probably because that is where things start to cost more than the bike is worth retail.
Head job replace all valves fix bad sparker hole, cam guides chain tensioner, pistons + bore, gasket kit, source good cam + rockers if yours are pitted worn or send to megacycle who by the way do very nice work.

I am sure I missed something.

The thing that really gets me is none of them have nice racer closed cell foam on the seats.

Whats a tire kicker? Is that someone that did not buy a correctly calibrated tire pressure gauge forcing them to kick the tires to test pressure and risk knocking the bike over damaging the nice paint?

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
He says it pumped 180psi on compression test.

Probably because that is where things start to cost more than the bike is worth retail.
Head job replace all valves fix bad sparker hole, cam guides chain tensioner, pistons + bore, gasket kit, source good cam + rockers if yours are pitted worn or send to megacycle who by the way do very nice work.

I am sure I missed something.

The thing that really gets me is none of them have nice racer closed cell foam on the seats.

Whats a tire kicker? Is that someone that did not buy a correctly calibrated tire pressure gauge forcing them to kick the tires to test pressure and risk knocking the bike over damaging the nice paint?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I think you're being too hard on it. There are some issues, but there are also lots of nice parts and upgrades there, and he did a leak down test as well as compression. If the Dyno sheets are recent, I don't think I'd have qualms. $2600 is too much, though, that's true.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I think you're being too hard on it. There are some issues, but there are also lots of nice parts and upgrades there, and he did a leak down test as well as compression. If the Dyno sheets are recent, I don't think I'd have qualms. $2600 is too much, though, that's true.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I was not getting down on the bike, just explaining why most CL cafe bikes get purely cosmetic attention, This guy did put bits on this. 180psi is over factory spec compression also if I recall the factory service manual specs 160psi? and i have yet to see over 120psi on any of these I have looked at, could be my tester needs testing. But where is the exhaust?

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I was not getting down on the bike, just explaining why most CL cafe bikes get purely cosmetic attention, This guy did put bits on this. 180psi is over factory spec compression also if I recall the factory service manual specs 160psi? and i have yet to see over 120psi on any of these I have looked at, could be my tester needs testing. But where is the exhaust?

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
24 horse.....maybe because it is using 34mm mikuni carbs. i got 34mm on my henning spec motor. hi comp pistons, x5 megacycle cam, ti valves & keepers, and a SERIOUS porting job. dunno....but 34mm carbs on a stocker is OVERKILL, as it is OVERKILLING the motor and aiding a 24hp dyno run. betcha if he through the stock CV carbs back on it would make closer to the 28hp stock spec.

other than that....nice upgrades. wonder why the owner didn't do a front brake upgrade?

like bj sez.....race the bitch!

see you in T1!

tex

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
24 horse.....maybe because it is using 34mm mikuni carbs. i got 34mm on my henning spec motor. hi comp pistons, x5 megacycle cam, ti valves & keepers, and a SERIOUS porting job. dunno....but 34mm carbs on a stocker is OVERKILL, as it is OVERKILLING the motor and aiding a 24hp dyno run. betcha if he through the stock CV carbs back on it would make closer to the 28hp stock spec.

other than that....nice upgrades. wonder why the owner didn't do a front brake upgrade?

like bj sez.....race the bitch!

see you in T1!

tex

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
and fill out your bio jeremy.....jeez!

first post is a classified and you can't follow the basic protocol.

you got a lot to learn!

tex

1 - 20 of 25 Posts