Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think would be a good thread for people just getting into the hobby as there are a lot of different thoughts on how and what to do. My thoughts are things are only original once, I would rather have a bone stock survivor then a bright gleaming over restored better than when it left factory car or bike. Don't get me wrong I love hot rods, restored cars and bikes, some choppers, bobbers and so on but to go and cut up a very nice car or bike to do it drives me nuts. Believe me I have cut up my share of bikes but never one that should be saved, I picked up two bikes this week and I will be going through both of them in this build thread. First the 1972 S2

One owner, 2497 miles, parked in 1972. Unfortunately it was stored in an open 2 sided shed with a dirt floor and a blanket on it, I think the blanket saved it because if it was under a tarp it would have been a pile of rust When I first saw this bike come out from under the cover I knew it was never going to be cut, painted polished or anything. Unfortunately the tank was rusted through on the bottom and the owner changed it out about 6years ago when he had big dreams of riding it again. Well he put gas in it and could not get it to start (big shock). Here's my point this bike has almost everything it left the factory with down to the plugs and the tires. All I have to do is find an original tank with factory paint it does not have to be perfect because the bike in not perfect but it has managed to remain unmolested for 44 years. I brought it home on Wednesday morning, went through the electrical system when I had lights, brakes and power to the points (very late night) I pulled the carbs and off to bed. The next morning cleaned the tank and carbs set the points next fuel. Well after kicking and kicking the bike teasing us with a sputter here and there than it ran for 5 sec. Kick kick kick 10 secs, 20,30, at around 40 or 50 I was happy that I had a solid motor, pulled the carbs cleaned them out pulled the exhaust to clean the crap that was blowing out of them fogged the motor and that is the way it will stay until I find a tank. This bike will never see the road again because it is sitting on 44 year old rubber and I think that is fucking badass. It would be a crime to cut this bike up or restore it. I would be all for putting new rubber on it and riding it now and then but that is not what I'm going to do with it.

When this bike is cleaned up and a tank that matches is found IMO is a true survivor. Later I will follow up with the KH500.
This thread could take a while as I look for parts and such

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ok here is the KH500 that I picked up Thursday morning, non running parked in 82 or 83 7600 showing on the odometer

There was fresh fuel in the tank, no air box and two side covers missing. The owner told me it would start but only for a few seconds. Well he went to spray starting fluid in it when I stopped him and asked how many times he did that and said one other time, I pulled a plug shot some half ass oil gas mix kicked it it sputtered smoked like a mother fer. He wanted 1500, I told him I thought 800. was more than fair, he told me he had a couple of kids coming and he was going to wait on them, long story short I told him the kids were probably going to give him full price cut it the fuck up and it will never see the road again, we shook hands at 1000.00 and I was very nervous. For god sakes the bike would not even roll to the truck

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I first drove up to the house and saw the KH sitting under the carport this flashed in my head and why not I already have the the tank, seat pan, belly pan and other goodies from Airtech sitting in my storage locker. Green Meanie was all I was thinking about.

I was so excited to find this bike I went right to my buddy Dave's shop. In the day Dave was a Kawasaki mechanic, ran two racing teams and his own team of Kwai triples then on to four strokes and he has been a great help to me with my Kawasaki addiction over the years. He was so excited when I showed up with the S2 the day before but when he saw the H1 he told me he did not want that "chunk of shit in his shop" I was at a loss, I'm home on vacation all my shit is packed up in storage so I cut a deal; if I take my Z1 and the S2 out of the shop can we at least take a look at the H1. He softened up a bit when I told him the plan of the Green Meanie

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok the first thing before we did any thing was check for spark, hook up a gas bottle and to our shock it started. So the next step was to strip all the crap off

All of a sudden she's not looking too bad

And surprises I love surprises. Under one of the braces to the fairing is one of the original factory keys

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm starting to like this bike more and more. Found these under the seat,

And now after about eighty pounds of crap gone we moved on to step 2 the electrics.

The blinkers stay as I'm not really sure what is going to happen with this bike yet, when I first laid me eyes on it I thought it might have been to far gone to save but I'm not so sure now and the sealed beam goes to the storage bin

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Here is a update on the S2. I thought the baffle was missing from on of the pipes. Nope it was inside the pipe as a pile of rust
Awesome. It would have make a good video blowing the dead baffle bones out, in a cloud of smoke.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Ok getting ready to go through the electrics and another nice little find

The extra plug holder and it is all there, we checked the blinkers before they were pulled off with the bags and fairings, hooked up the headlight, got the neutral light working. Now we are going through the harness cleaning up the fuses and every connector we can get to, The horn sounded a little sad but a shot of penetrating oil took care of that

The charging system checked out ok and everything is working. Next we'll get on to the brakes.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not a good pic but I found the correct tank for the S1, its not perfect but then again the rest of the bike is not either. I think they will go good together, now I just need to replace one pipe and that bike will almost be done since this is a preservation and not a restoration or a cafe build. I'm till not sure what I'm going to do with the KH500 yet, but I can tell you this it will have nothing to do with a sawsall or a grinder.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hey Jruff5585, nice projects you got going. Quick question.... are those hard bags in decent shape and would you be looking to get rid of them?? I would be interested.

Hardbags.jpg

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ok I'm pulling the back tire while Dave pulls the front caliper and cleans and flushes the system. Please don't give me crap about the pods, there was no air box on the bike, they will only be there for startup. I already found a replacement

Cleaning up the grease and gunk and checking the bearings

The Cush drive rubbers are in great shape

Hit the rim with some compound , not bad

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Ring - a - Ding - ah - Ding - Dong.

What will the neighbors think?

They might all come from smoke - free homes!

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok we put on a set of plates on it and ran it a little over 40 miles. I now have a bike that with a set of new tires will pass inspection and it runs great. I have invested 3 hours of time and $5.00 in brake fluid, rags, WD-40 and penetrating fluid. I have bought a lot of non running bikes and if you'er smart about it you can limit your risk. I took a bigger risk on this bike then normal as my multimeter and compression gauge was in storage and could not check the charging system or compression. I knew I could part it out if it was too bad, but everything worked out. I have done a lot of bikes like this, go through one system at a time, try to complete each one as you go if possible. Now the big question for me is what to do with it. I already found the air box and two side covers with original paint so I have a complete bike for $280.00 in parts plus the bike. The way I see it I have three choices.
1. Find a very nice original tank and do a preservation on the bike. When I first saw it that never entered my mind but it has been growing on me.
2. Find an original tank, take the bike apart, store all the parts and build this
since I have almost everything to do this but the expansion chambers. The only thing about this option I don't like is striping and painting the frame.
3. Do the same as 2. leave the frame with the original paint and do a distressed paint job on the bike.
I have time to sit and think about this since I'm back in Ireland till December. I really wish the bike was a piece of shit, that would make this decision very easy.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts