Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One here, a camper spared of all but minor rust by having been kept inside all of it's 39000 actual miles.....

The lower rail of this camper's sliding door needs help.... is that metal available?

I didn't actually believe the 39k until I got into it. Original rear braje shoes and pads, rotors and drums never machined, zero wear inside the cvj's, spotless tight engine that uses no oil....

I'm digging it and will likely have a few other questions if my local old codger is tied up and this hanes manual falls short.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sure.... I've snapped a few and will take more today....

I want it to do the tweety bird exhaust thing..... not sure what that will take but the straight thru cherry bomb won't make it happen

if the original resonator with what appears to be the rest of the orignal exhaust will..... so be it as long as its rea$onable

if not.... maybe I'll be hunting a semi hashed decible that's not completely burnt out

anyone have such a beast?

I'm digging the weber two barrel but like the idea of two weber or dellorto twin throats

Bore and venturi sizes that are appropriate? I don't know yet if its been ported or cammed.... possible and maybe lijely. I'll know on the cams in about an hour.

·
Registered
585 Posts

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This one came with the twin solex carbs

Now with long twin runners on each side with a honkin twin throat weber in the middle on a plenum

I was thinking two twin throats on each side.

Maybe if I like it enough I'll put two pairs of cross rammed cb450 cv's on it or something equally funky

If I had three more Reece Fishies here... I'd be on that today.

Cam has been changed..... mild upgrade.

·
Registered
585 Posts
"two pairs of cross rammed cb450 cv's"

Ha, got you beat on carb mod madness. I managed to split a VFR750 rack and install each pair on either side of the dual port engine for my Bus. One off manifolds, blah blah blah. Poor little bastard actually ran! Something like 10 mpg and the CHT would spike rather quickly. But, boy, it had some go. Would raise the front end(no wheel stand) when you got into it. I don't think that engine ever really forgave me.
Next step was a more sedate pair of Corvair carbs. Worked, but iced up like a pair of witches panties. Then I got smart and put a Kadron kit on it.

NE

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll stick with the twin throat weber before I do solexes.

This long runner bastard grunts like an oliver tractor. Breaks 40 mpg and I've yet to get jiggy with the ignition.

What's the hot ticket on electronic ignition? Magneto?

I have a Mallory 4cylinder mag here that will induce cardiac arrest

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm thinking much over 30mm would be overkill and kill everything but top end

Aren't those 750 carbs like 38mm?

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
....iced up like a pair of witches panties......

HAHA Pure fucking gold there!

I like the Kadrons, had a pair on my 63 bug, 1915ccwith 041s and the usual goodies.
That was a deceptive but unfortunately fragile car. I miss that one! Crappy 70's flaired glass fenders, a stinger out the back (minimally baffled of course!) and built in airconditioning by way of a badly rusted floorpan!

·
Registered
183 Posts
It's been awhile since I screwed around with the aircooled's, but I do seem to recall that those single 2bbl webers weren't exactly the hot ticket on the type 4 motors; everybody I knew with one was running dual Solex's/Weber IDF's/Kadron's/etc.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got this one very crisp and can't grumble about the mileage. Seems to have more precision left but good enough until it gets hotter spark.

The weber was completely whacked when I got the rig yet brand new.

Just needed some love.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Btw.... why did they ice up? Wrong shaped butterfly?

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
On single carb, heat riser pipes rusted or otherwise blocked.
Twin carb, the fan shroud/cooling system seals missing (or rotted away)
The ones around spark plugs are always missing
Check heater pipes, if they are missing/damaged heat exchangers can run 'cold'
If it's got auxiliary heating, you probably don't want to use it as its petrol powered, gets down to 5~6mpg (neat concept when gas was 'cheap' you always had fuel)
JC Whitney carries some parts but pretty much everything is available (at a price)

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A carb that freezes has a problem other than needing heat plumbed to it. Ask Mr Reece, maybe he figured out why his amazing little carbs froze. Easy enough to fix.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
There's normally a hot air intake as well with thermostat off right heat exchanger.
Don't remember ever having a problem with stock set up if all the parts were in place

PJ

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm running unheated runners straight to the ports. No carb freezing but the runners get nice and chilly.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Again, it's been awhile, but I think the type 1 motors were more prone the manifolds icing up; I don't recall the type 4's having (or needing) the pre-heat tubes.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've done several things thus far

New selector shaft seal...... caveman design & pita job

Replaced the stamped metal cage with plastic/rubber damnits.... crudish

Disassemble and correctly assemble the new starter.... grind the leading edges of the driven gears teeth..... weld up a shoulder on the upper horse shoe headed stud and machine to 12 mm since the hole in the starter wanted a dowel but the block did not

Right rear wheel bearing..... somewhat crude and a pita..... I don't think the roller is a superblend.... bleh

Brakes on all fours

Adjust the valves, points, gap plugs, test ignition reserve and benchmark max outa

Comp test

Brakes on all four corners

Still had original pads and shoes all the way around... ten thou wear on drums and 25 on rotors

Cut fresh rubber gimmicks to couple runners to plenum

A bit more to do before I decide if it goes to the shiny shop

Everyone smiles, waves, peace signs, and tries to buy it

I gotta go camping in it and justify some sharpied piece signs on it

Crazy rig

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Starts well and everytime now

Shroom Struedels.... wtf? that 10 buck seal doesn't come installed in that frail sleeve and that whole shifter rod biz....

they should have consluted me first

No bellows to be had right now and to h with that stubborn frail sleeve..pecked it in and squuezed the cage gimmick until those plastic blocks had virtually no play

New the are quite loose

New bearings and brakes. Hate the brakes, must have self adjusting units from watercooled model

1 - 20 of 45 Posts