Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey first time posting on here. My name is Mike and I'm 21. I'm located in VA(NOVA) and would like any suggestions/help from you guys. Just getting into building/rebuilding motorcycles, so I have little knowledge about it right now, but been looking up/researching alot. Hoping to build this by spring of next year, so I can take her out on the road. Bought a 74' Honda 360 for what I thought was a reasonably good price. The good: Run decently well(start first time), all lights work, tank has been resealed/cleaned, clean carbs, new battery(but electric start won't work), brake and tires are in good condition. The bad: In rough shape(rust on forks, exhaust, handlebars, spokes,and anywhere I can imagine), leakage in exhaust(causing to backfire and smoke a little, but nothing that effects how the engine runs),horn doesn't work, need mirrors, electric start won't work, gas tank has some rust and dents. I'll be taking apart all the things one day at a time. Here is the progress so far. Will update as much as I can and hello to all.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Interesting cactus seat.

Riding experience, and skill sets? Know when tight is too tight? Etc.

Any other bikes? Nothing worse than a bike in a million pieces and you want to go for a ride.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, still got some thorns on my ass. and as for riding experience, I started to ride about 7 months ago. my first bike was a suzuki gz250 and I'm still learning.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Wrenching experience?

My advice, seriously, service it to the 9's. Get everything working as well as possible. Make sure nothing has seized or will cause a mechanical failure.

Buy some avon road runners or the ditch finder bridgestone BT45's then ride it until you have learned how to ride it well. Your suspension is only holding the bike up now and will be next to usless by the way.

THEN rip it apart. You will find the guys here are extremely knowledgeable. Looks over function? Doesn't fly here.

PJ here, amongst others, knows everything about this model specifically.

Get a manual. Read it 10 times. Fix her up. Take her out. Have a ball.

·
Registered
569 Posts
quote:Originally posted by JackC

What are those Blue/white things hanging on the fence that look like octopus tentacles??
com'n Jack...massage hula-hoops....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the suggestions/help guys. I will make sure to read that manual and get to know the bike better. Not very familiar with wrenching and what not... Thinking about taking it to a local bike mechanic for them to take a look at it if theres any problems pretty soon, just gotta find a good mechanic. I took it for a ride around my neighbor and it ran pretty decent, but we'll see what the mechanic says. Gonna have to sandblast all that rust and clean out all the parts which will cost me a pretty penny. And although I want my bike to look nice, I think performance is more important for a cafe racer. I'd like some suggestions from you guys on how to boost her up and getting the most juice out of her ;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I think I found what is causing the exhaust to leak. Gonna replace the gasket o-ring and see if that stops the leak. I'd say couple small drops (5-10) after a run around the neighbor (10-15 min). Any help/suggestion is much appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The exhuast smokes sometimes and this is causing to backfire a little. Any suggestion with this? Should I take a look at the cylinder/pistons? Thanks again

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
backfiring often means air leak or lean condition on intake side - can be exhaust too.

Have you set the timing? Done basic tune up?

As far as the smoking - white smoke, blue smoke? Does it smell like gas describe or take photos of the plugs. Compression tests would potentially help reveal issues. But it can also be general running issue - smoke can be unburned fuel thanks to very bad timing etc.

Tell us what you have done in terms of basic maintenance etc.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven't done any maintenance as of yet. I'm gonna test ride couple more times then do them one at a time due to limited time to work on the bike. And the smoke appears to be white and it smells like gas, I will take pictures real soon. I took it out for a ride last night and realized there is a clicking noice coming from the right side of the bike by the exhuast?, but I cannot find out where exactly is coming from. Any suggestions and help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just looked into adjusting valves and tightening them would make the clicking sound gone? Can someone tell me what exactly is causing this noise? Thanks

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
quote:Originally posted by wtfbbq
Can someone tell me what exactly is causing this noise?
No someone can't. Wanna know why? because none of us are standing in your fucking driveway hearing the "clicking" noise. The best we can do is guess based on what small amount of information you can impart. This is the internet, not a magic solve it box.

You are learning the process by which people become mechanics. It is called "diagnosing shit" (and yes I believe that is the technical term). It comes from 2 things 1) experience (which you don't have), and 2) the process of elimination and testing things.

you will get #1 in time, a good substitute is someone who actually knows what they are doing comes and looks at the bike (and this doesn't mean your buddy who happens to ride motorcycles - it means a real mechanic). #2 you can do yourself by starting with the easy stuff and moving up to the hard stuff.

What's the easy stuff?

- ok, when was the last time this bike had an oil change? If never give it a hot oil change (meaning change the oil after you have warmed up the bike, wear gloves)

- go through the basic maintenance checks. This means adjusting both the timing chain and doing the valve adjustment.

- if it persists start to check for leaks from the head to the tail of the muffler. plus any you find.

if it persists after this, call in the expert.

people did this for a hundred years before the internet existed. You aren't special and you aren't going to magically get the advice you need instantly. You will get as much bad advice out of the computer as you will good. So stop being a pussy, man up, grab you manual and give the bike a goddamn tune up.

sheesh.....

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
p.p.s. don't post something like, I need to fix the exhaust leak that's causing the backfiring... you don't know what's causing the backfiring, it's okay to not know anything and just ask lots of "dumb" questions, what'll get you in trouble is not knowing anything (which is okay) and then asking questions but rejecting the info provided because you came at it with some preconception that you have an idea what's wrong with it... it's time to surrender to the zen masters on here, of which I am not one, but they will provide their knowledge if the student is ready

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys I appreciate all the comments/suggestions, I'll keep them in mind. Finally going to have some time to work on the bike tomorrow. I'll snap some pics and post em up tomorrow.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Plan was to adjust the valves today, but I couldn't open the generator cover because it was so beat up... I think the top one got worse bc I got so frustrated. Right one was easy and the left one didn't budge either. Any suggestions on this? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
681 Posts
You need a hand impact driver, that'll make short work of those pesky screws. Also, get new bolts/screws to go back in their place.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts