Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking at a very, excellent shape cl 360 w/ the single right lowside exhaust. super low miles at less than 5000. runs, but on one cyl., left carb is of concern, shop is cleaning it now... stored well for many years. i know very little about the cl, and a little about the cb (only cosmetic differences right?) so, i ask

- what are/ were the major issues w/ these bikes?
- is there a source for new or oem parts that are obsolete (especially electrical, never had luck w/ that area)
- are there as vast an array of cafe parts for this model as compared to the cb750 sohc.... (most all i see is for the 750)
- anyone on here an expert on them?? (u may have a new best friend, hehehe)
thanx, doctor jones

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
difficult questions?? nobody knows about this style of bike?? maybe a similar bike out there??

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
The exhaust you describe is a CJ360T, not a CB or CL. CBs had twin low pipes and CL's had twin high pipes, CJ's were the only ones to come from the factory with a 2 into 1 lowside header. Does it have a cowl attached to the rear of the seat?

The cb360 is a six speed, kick and electric motorcycle. It is a "standard" style bike and is really fun to ride. Big seat small tank and chrome fenders

The CL360 is the scrambler version (kinda like an early enduro without the suspension). It should be Kick only and have a 6 speed tranny. big seat, chrome fenders, small tank.

The CJ is like a mini-supersport or a factory cafe racer. It was also the cheapest bike they made and only made for 76-77. I used to have a 76. 2 into 1 exhaust, 5 SPEED tranny, kick start only. Breadbox style tank (long and squarish), cowl section, and plastic front fender. The frames on these are slightly reinforced as to the other 360s and the cost reductions (like the missing 6th gear) makes them lighter and a little quicker.

check the usual stuff. rust in the tank. popping out the exhaust, etc. Inspect all rubber carefully.

·
Registered
687 Posts
the 360's other than the cj are fairly common and parts aren't impossible to locate in addition the cb/cl/sl350's are similar but not the same as the 360's and many of the parts will be interchangeable though not engine or carbs.

unfortunately there are not many (none that i have seen) performance parts for these bikes. you could get a set of direct linkage mikuni carbs just make sure they are jetted for a 360. again you are looking at $300. it's a long shot but there are several companies that make electronic ignition systems for the 350 you may contact one of them and see if there is a chance for compatibility but be prepared to spend $250 or more, infact if you do look it up let me know because i have been wondering myself.

the frames are similar in size but not in design, many of the cafe style parts such as seats that fit a 350 will fit but both frames usually require some modification.

...connoisseur of slack...

·
Registered
3,453 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well the owner was asking 1000 w/ the bike missing on one cyl. he works at a dealership and it should be running before i pay him the other half. all in all i will have a grand in it so no big loss. i plan on turning it into a cafe so i'll be asking alot from u all. please be patient since my experience on bikes is little general and alot specific, nothing older than 1996 and mostly italian race bikes. so i'll know some but i always ask twice.... thanx

03 rsv Tuono custom
81 cb750f (stolen)

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I think $1000 sounds fair, provided it runs pretty damn near perfect. It's no bargain at that price, but you're not getting ripped off either.

I have a '74 cb360. I had a bit of left cylinder trouble with mine also, which was a pretty easy fix. Geeto's right - the bike is a blast.
I haven't had to do much to mine; Bought it with 4000-ish miles on it. Like new. But I paid $300 for mine - with no title.

Edited by - judeyramone on Sep 29 2007 7:49:42 PM

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Judy,

That is a nice looking CB360. I have a 74 also and it is my favorite bike to bang around the back roads on.

Do you know where I could get some OEM air cleaners? My elements are toast. I see them on ebay once in a while but they are NOT correct for my bike--on the back they have a round hole for the pipe between the two cleaners, and mine have a 1/2 circle.

Thanks,
Jack

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I don't know if they're still available, but you might try your local dealer. I needed a points cover gasket, and even though it's a part no longer available from Honda, the dealer in town had 3 in stock (I bought all 3).
Never bought from these guys, but you might give them a try:

http://www.mrcycles.com/default.asp

Their site seems to have 'em, but almost $40/ea.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
seems like around here a running bike (w/ title...required in NC!!!) will almost guarantee a sale price over 1000. all in all i got a free cb360t in like 1995 and it was totally trashed, i rode it till it fell apart-glued it all back together and rode it some more. it was gr8. now i want one to tinker w/ (my aprilia's don't require much!) and here i find one. it is actually a cl w/ the cj exhaust, is orange and has a silly luggage rack/ back rest on it. my plan is to take the original stuff off (save it) and tinker w/ some used stuff from u ppl and off ebay.
-baby steps: wrap cj exhaust or acquire cl exhaust in fair shape. clip-ons or clubman bars. reconfigure seat w/ cowl or carpy style seat. fork "gators". and then follow procedure of said cb360 from youth.
-so..... if u have any of the above parts or can point me in that direction i'd be appreciative. and FIY i'd rather buy from u ppl and pay a little more than ebay and take a chance, plus i keep the $ in the forum circle!!!..thanx

03 rsv Tuono custom
81 cb750f (stolen)

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
quote:81 cb750f (stolen)
Ha! That's funny. A title is required here in MI, also. My bike was said to have come from a towng co. auction 2 owners previous, which explained the lack of a title. When I tried to title it, it turned out it was stolen, and the state police were very interested to know what I was doing in possession of it. Explains the low price.

I did end up getting the bike back, with paperwork.

I might have some fork gaiters. Cl350s seem to use the same forks as a cb360, but with gaiters on them I imagime they would work. I'll have to look & see how they mount up.

Good luck. It's a fun bike. Post pics.

Edited by - judeyramone on Sep 29 2007 10:21:02 PM

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
will try the pic after reading instructions. the "gators" are only a cosmetic cover over an already functioning fork seal right? i only want them for the cosmetics not out of an actual function.

03 rsv Tuono custom
81 cb750f (stolen)

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Nice lookin' bike! Looks worth a grand. Side covers are all over eBay, if you decide not to go with high pipes.

The gaiters go on in place of your dust caps. The seal is inside the fork lower. I'm pretty sure what I've got will work for you, but I don't know how they attach at the lower tree. I also don't know what condition they're in. I have 2 cb350 parts bikes with gaiters that should work. Lemme see what I have & I'll post back tomorrow. I might be interested in that luggage rack if the backrest is removable & you want to sell it.

Edited by - judeyramone on Sep 29 2007 11:10:55 PM

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
cl360 had no fork gaiters. cl350 had gaiters which attacched to top of fork lowers & bottom of chrome fork ears. The fork ears should fit onto your forks, but the ears I have which would work are trashed & rusted thru. I think I have a good set of gaiters, but my other parts bike is a '68 & the forks are different. The ears are usable, but won't fit your forks. If you can find the proper parts (kinda rare), putting gaiters on that thing would be little trouble. Once again, I'll have to see what I have.

This is exactly what you need:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-1972-CL350-cb350-headlight-bracket-excellent_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35583QQihZ015QQitemZ250169331970QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Edited by - judeyramone on Sep 29 2007 11:40:53 PM

·
Registered
687 Posts
i'm not so sure the 350 forks really are compatible. i am pretty confident they are the same diameter but the trees and, depending on the year, legs are different. the gaiters on my cl350 are there to protect the springs that are exposed rather than in the fork lower. in addition the 350 forks are a smaller diameter at the top and fit into the trees and held in by the end cap rather than being squeezed by the upper tree. the last thing i can think of is that neither of the two sets of 350 forks i have are chromed beneath the ears or shrouds, they have a heavy grease to keep them from rusting and will turn red as soon as you strip that layer off unless you paint them.

all of this may be solved if you put the entire front end from a 350 trees and all on the bike but if you are going to that trouble why not step up to 35mm from a 450?

...connoisseur of slack...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
as far as i can tell if i just want the look of the "gators" i could install a slightly oversized set and put them on attaching them to the lower fork housing. at the upper most reach of the "gator" i could find a slightly oversized dust cover and attache the two peices together. giving me the look, a little bit of protection, and the upper dust cover should be large enough that under full load/ compression it will not stick to the upper and detach the whole contraption. with your input i feel that this is a low priority at the time and i will focus on other more simple jobs so i can ride the bike...... instant gratification stuff, ya know.
-oh what is the width, and length of an appropriate cafe seat? i haven't found many directly made for the cl/cb 360 or 350 so i think i'll make my own. a measurement from the back of tank to the back cross brace is good for length, and a width right behind the tank and at the widest would suffice for width. thanx

03 rsv Tuono custom
81 cb750f (stolen)

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Yes, and no. Cb/cl350 forks are different from those on the 360 models, until 1973, when the cb350 had a disc brake. Those fork tubes are the same diameter all the way to the top, have internal springs, and slide into a pinch type top clamp. These trees are slightly wider than the old type 350 trees, but once again, it's the same tree used on the cb360. They both use the same wheel hub (on drum brake modes), and the width difference is made up with different spacers. These later fok legs are also chromed all the way to the top. The eBay link I posted will slide right onto the cb/cl360 forks. I've been plaing mix-n-match with these parts on my cb350 project. Furthermore, I have examples of both bikes in my garage. Like I said, I'll post pics later today.

Also, my '68/'69 cl350 has a completely different style headlight ear and I haven't yet figured out how the gaiters fit against the bottom tree. However, it looks like it's yet another completely different arrangement, which also might work on a cl360, albeit with a little more work.

Edited by - judeyramone on Sep 30 2007 11:07:14 AM

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
don't forget....the cj360t has completely different forks from the other 360s. The CJ runs the old cb350 drum brake front right down to the same stinkin' drum. There are no disc lugs on the CJ forks.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Only 3 hrs left on that auction. If you plan to put gaiters on that thing ever, those are, so far, at a ridiculous low price.

I know, I still haven't put up pictures. Trust me, they'll fit. I'm almost tempted to bid on 'em myself.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts