Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
All that smoke will be your RHS exhaust clearing itself of all the unburnt fuel that's been dumped in there.

Take it for a ride.

·
Registered
5,962 Posts
Is that exhaust smoke coming out of your crankcase vent pipe? … that's not a good, it's a breather pipe not an exhaust pipe unless you have a holy piston or ring failure.
I'm thinking that if you took out your oil filler plug you'd see exhaust coming out of there too.

Time to do a compression check. My expectation would be on #2 failing badly.

Might be a very short ride Hillsy :|

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Is that exhaust smoke coming out of your crankcase vent pipe? … that's not a good, it's a breather pipe not an exhaust pipe unless you have a holy piston or ring failure.
I'm thinking that if you took out your oil filler plug you'd see exhaust coming out of there too.

Time to do a compression check. My expectation would be on #2 failing badly.

Might be a very short ride Hillsy :|
My Compression is fine, I had this problem last year with smoke coming out of the breather tube , found out that there was a little bit of gas in my oil. Ill drain the oil and fill er back up and see what it gives me

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
In the mean time...Heres a picture of My bike, and my brothers bike! thoughts?

View attachment 19562
Nice, good to see people fighting the urge to "do something" to these bikes. Fix'm ride'm smile. I have nowhere near the skill level of most posters here but - getting fuel in the oil? Yay, storytime. My old Triumph would do that on occasion, always on the cylinder on the side stand side. If I left the fuel on when it was parked I'd occasionally end up with fuel in the oil. . Old carbs, floats sticking, neglect, bad fuel bla bla.... It would eventually foul the plug on that side as well. May have nothing to do with your issue but thought i was worth mentioning. Cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Nice, good to see people fighting the urge to "do something" to these bikes. Fix'm ride'm smile. I have nowhere near the skill level of most posters here but - getting fuel in the oil? Yay, storytime. My old Triumph would do that on occasion, always on the cylinder on the side stand side. If I left the fuel on when it was parked I'd occasionally end up with fuel in the oil. . Old carbs, floats sticking, neglect, bad fuel bla bla.... It would eventually foul the plug on that side as well. May have nothing to do with your issue but thought i was worth mentioning. Cheers
There a blast and get looks / people talking about them all the time when there out and about together! Just a matter of time of getting it tuned in right. And yeah I have the same issue but with the right side, Might just be the old floats, this bike was total trash when I picked her up, and brought it back to life so maybe its just the floats sticking sometimes, no idea.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
You might want to talk to the guys at hondatwins.net, they're dealing with these bikes all the time.
Yeah I had posted a thread over there last year and got most of my problems figured out from them, I posted my current issue here and over there and havent had a response yet from them, hopefully soon though ^^

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Might just be the old floats.
What sort of floats are they? Brass or plastic? Have you checked if they actually float? Sometimes they don't and your engine will flood. Take them out and drop them in a cup full of gas to see if they float.

Are you running a fuel filter? If not, you might be getting gunk under the float valves. It's surprising how little gunk needs to be there to disrupt the valve closing.

How are the float pins? Do the floats move smoothly without any restriction?

Aftermarket float bowl gaskets? They can sometimes impede the floats' movement.

And if your oil smells like gas, then change your oil.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
What sort of floats are they? Brass or plastic? Have you checked if they actually float? Sometimes they don't and your engine will flood. Take them out and drop them in a cup full of gas to see if they float.

Are you running a fuel filter? If not, you might be getting gunk under the float valves. It's surprising how little gunk needs to be there to disrupt the valve closing.

How are the float pins? Do the floats move smoothly without any restriction?

Aftermarket float bowl gaskets? They can sometimes impede the floats' movement.

And if your oil smells like gas, then change your oil.
Everything is stock on the carbs, besides a carb rebuild kit from bikebandit.com. the 360's have plastic floats, brass on the 200's, I do run fuel filters and they seem dirty ( installed last season), the last time I had the carbs apart, which was last fall they were in great condition, I'll change oil tomorrow

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Update: Changed the oil today with a fresh set of plugs, stop smoking out of the right side and breather tube, road around town for about 7 miles and was fine until I came back and let her idle while looking around the bike and noticed the smoke had started back up from the breather tube and right side again..is it possible I fouled the right spark plug that quick?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts