Cafe Racer Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Maybe somebody on this forum will have a carb laying around and will send it to you. I looked through my stuff, but don’t. 20 years and a few moves ago, had several. I will ask around and let you know if I come up with something.
Do you live near a M/C salvage yard? I am pretty sure that the carb from a CB/CL/SL/XL 100 is the same.
Be careful when buying side covers. The ones used on 1976(?) or 1977(?) and later 100s and 125s are different than those used in 1975 and earlier.
You can find the shop manual online. Check out DTT.
Thank you.....much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thank you

just out of habit took carb off......clean as can be. No jet size stamped. Everything blew out ok.....to be honest I was expecting nothing less. I'll probably wait for something to pop up on ebay or something....a used stock carb.

Automotive lighting Amber Circuit component Jewellery Font

Office supplies Wood Jewellery Gun accessory Metal

Also it leaks out the top of the float bowl.....not out the overflow. I'll check the float level just to pass the time...maybe it's flooding ...I don't know.

Ordered a new air filter.....the entire airbox needs a good cleaning and a new filter.

Cuisine Metal Font Auto part Fashion accessory

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
While waiting on some parts to come in decided to start toying around with the electrical.

I also used my Harbor freight compression tester........ that works great on my cars but not so much on small displacement motorcycle engines, lawn mower engines, etc......especially since it has around 3 feet of hose.

I got the full 80psi (which is probably at least 140psi). Then added a little oil to the cylinder and bumped it up to nearly 85psi after a few kicks.

Watch White Motor vehicle Gauge Automotive tire

White Blue Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
After playing around with carb settings and installing the new air filter it pleasantly starts in only about 8-10 kicks....much improvement over the 20 kicks of the past....but still not correct. After a more careful inspection I found it doesn't have the o-ring at the carburetor base...just that old paper gasket. I can't believe I didn't notice that before. It was idling a little higher but I found that the throttle cable was getting hung up underneath the gas tank somewhere. When I re routed it no more hanging problems….. Other than after you rev it the idle will hang high a little and then settle back down…. I'm assuming because of all the air leaks in the intake track.

So I ordered all the gaskets, a new isolator, an o-ring, new fuel line and fuel filter...... together when all this is done it should run as good as I can get it with the Chinese carburetor…. until I source a used one somewhere.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Vehicle brake Automotive exterior

Door Grey Audio equipment Lock Security

There's a couple of power draws I've found so far....one is the wiring somewhere for the brake light and the rear tail light assembly all together. I'm sure there will be more everywhere but for now those are the ones. I'm still contemplating whether to purchase some new knock off wire harness or go through one by one. I already purchased a new aftermarket tail light assembly...just to make things easy. The wiring harness is so hard and brittle in some places…. with corrosive connectors that I'm leaning towards an aftermarket knock off. When hooked up to an outside 6 V power source all the lights and the horn with the exception of the headlight and taillight are bright . When the tail light is hooked up to an outside 6 volt source it still remains dim and lac luster….. But the headlight gets really bright connected independently to 6v.

I hate electrical

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I have done nothing on this bike except wait for parts to come in..........but was really impressed with these little side covers. 1.........they came from Indonesia in 5 days and 2........ The quality, fit and finish, and the paint was very nice...... All for $44 shipped and in 5 days. I'm waiting longer for stuff to come in from New Jersey!

The seller had all different colors and what not but I figured white is good enough for now……… just in case I want to refinish later.

Sports equipment Font Composite material Carmine Electric blue

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

I purchased this Honda 200X that is taking a lot of my time right now from a family member for the same price I paid for this little CB125…. And it isn't running and it isn't titled and it isn't registered and I can barely move it with those flat tires.

Good news is I just got an offer on it for $1600 right now….. as it sits. Tempting.......that would fund some new shocks and springs for the XR1200.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
I love the side covers... though they remind me of bowling pins

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice project. Just joined the Forum. I just purchased a 1972 Honda cb100. Needs a lot of TLC. Think I'm in the same boat you were when you first started this post.
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Nice project. Just joined the Forum. I just purchased a 1972 Honda cb100. Needs a lot of TLC. Think I'm in the same boat you were when you first started this post.
If mine ended up looking like yours does now I would feel happy....clean bike you have there.

Just adding up the parts I've purchased so far I'm probably close to $200. Still waiting for a carburetor isolator from Thailand but most is here. I need more but I have some new cables from other projects that looks like it would work on this. A lot of it is nickel and dime stuff but it adds up quick. Not counting registration ....... so far into this $700 and it still looks like it was ran over with a truck and abandoned. The time spent working on it is fun and therapeutic but costs can rise to what you can get one online or locally for in great shape. Still....even clean ones don't have titles so for that I feel fortunate.

Hood Automotive lighting Requiem shark Bumper Shark

Another looming issue but not a problem now is the gas tank.

It looks like it was lined with POR-15 over a rusty tank. Now I understand some liners may if not tolerate prefer "not a smooth" surface....maybe por-15 is one.... but even if it did I would still have removed all the rust inside of the tank before lining it. I haven't had the tank off yet to see if there was evidence of gas leaking out of it. Aside from the cap not fitting properly on the tank due to the gunked up por-15 on it there's no issues with it leaking or not flowing properly.

Colorfulness Wood Gas Circle Tints and shades

Food Tableware Dishware Ingredient Wood

I'm not knocking the previous owner and God-bless her for trying because we all learned somewhere…. But it looks like they tried to fix the carburation and fuel issues then probably threw in the towel when faced with electrical and brake issues and everything else. But they still did the right thing and tried to learn on some old Honda beater.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts