Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1975 Honda 400f

I'm a new member in Memphis and this my newest find. A 1975 Honda 400f.
The first picture is as I bought it and the second is as it sits as of 9/12/08.

The current "seat" in the pics is just a rug I placed on it to move it around. I'm working on a permanent tail light and seat setup and also still removing red paint AND looking for clip-ons.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
glad to read the red is being removed

that's beyond vulgarly abusive

·
Registered
50 Posts
quote:Originally posted by HackAsaw

glad to read the red is being removed

that's beyond vulgarly abusive
+1

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha! Ya' want that sissy bar?

Yes, the vulgar red is on it's way out and that seat.... gross.

More pics of progress coming soon.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chop The Seat Up

Cutting up that seat to see if I can make something of it.

The seat as it came on the bike:

Drilling out the rivets that hold the cover on:

Peeling back the layers:

Everything apart:

Cutting some off the back:

About two inches removed to match the length of the frame extensions:

The tail light housing sitting about in place to see how it looks:

Placed the tail section on temporarily to see what direction to head next.

I cut some more off the pan, about 4" or more total:

Turns out I took a little too much off. I should have made it even with the rear of the frame support but I'll make it work:

Now the old foam placed back on to see where to cut:

After cutting the foam to match the back of the pan I drew a cut line about an inch off where the tail light housing will be placed:

I decided to cut the foam flat since I've never made a seat before and a flat seat will be easier to make look nice. I'll work out a transition into the tail section that will look nice later:

I used a handsaw since I don't have a bread knife. It's not too bad and cuts best on the back stroke actually:

Back to the tail section. I cut off the long "ears" back to the second hole and I think it looks a lot better:

I need a metal mounting surface so the fastener won't crack the plastic when I tighten it so I went to a hardware store and found washers that fit perfectly inside the existing hole:

For each side I stacked three washers and used epoxy for glue:

Then used the epoxy around the outside surface to set them in the holes. Now when I tighten down it will be on metal and not plastic:

More to oome soon. :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Drag Bars Arrived

The new chrome drag bars came in yesterday and were wrapped with a protective cotton sock. I left the sock on for these pics since it made them much easier to see. I'm going to finish the seat before starting on the handlebar swap.

Here's a couple pictures with the drag bars just laying across the tank to give an idea of what this swap will do for this bike.

Front:

Rear:

Oh, and more red has been turned into black. I got the bottom of the front footpegs painted the other day and the handlebar swap will be the perfect opportunity to change the triple tree and headlight bucket from red to black also.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You're on the right track Mitch.[8D][8D]
Where in Memphis do you live?
I'm in the Bartlett area.
Jim

·
Registered
30 Posts
mitch damn get these on i want to come and see it.im trying to find another job right now so im putting things together slowly at the moment.

*cough*i need a gasket kit*cough*

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
the wheels are just murder to my eyes

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
inline4 - I'm in the Clark Tower area. Thats a great looking bike you have. I just recently sold a near mint '75 550f just like that to a guy in the UK off eBay.

Mikey - I'm trying, I can't wait to get them on :). Hey I found another 350 up in Illinois (but no title) and plan to pick it up this weekend. I'm thinking of letting the 750 go to make room but I really like it's brute rudeness.

Hackasaw - Ya, I know... but the spokes and hubs are gonna stay that way for now since it'd be a real pain to get it off them. I'm hoping that once all the rest of the red is changed to black it won't be so shockingly abusive.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
nawww.... that's horrible

if the spokes, nipples, and hubs have actually been powdered

which would mean either the wheels were disassembled for the bits to be powdered

OR

the rims were masked off for the hubs and spokes to be powdered

AND

if you ever need to adjust a spoke you'll break the powder

NOT

to mention that if the nipples have been completely powdered they will damned sure loosen as the nipples take a seat and this means they will require lots of attention and will also result at breaks in the powder on the spokes at some point where the threads meet the spokes

that's really horrible and won't work out well

AND IF

they have merely been rattle canned

it won't last long and won't even hold up to one inattentive blast from a misdirected squirt gun at the car wash much less road deris

so you'll be touching them up often if you actually use it

black em out dude

besides, a nice pair of wheels for one of those are pretty damned cheap

those wheels are the ugliest part of the whole thing and I'm thinking about reporting you the the Society Against CB400F Abuse ;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The red is paint from a paint gun by the previous owner.

I'd prefer that they weren't red but they are. I think that once the tank, triple tree, headlight, and everything else is black the wheels will be fine until I can afford some nice alloy wheels.

Fortunately building a bike doesn't have to be done all at one time and I'm convinced that doing so is the reason so many unfinished projects go up for sale. We can pick our battles and the spokes/hubs are in line for attention but not the highest priority today.

The red is unsightly and I'm working on it.
The seat was grotesque and I'm working on that.
The handlebars are unthinkable and I have some drag bars ready to go on after the seat is addressed.
Turn signals are on the way.

I'll gladly accept donations for replacement wheels to move them up the list :)

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Looking good!

I'd use paint remover or bead blast the spokes/hubs and clear coat them.

If the spokes are chrome and in good shape then you could get away with Air craft paint remover and just polish them up.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
coolatula - thanks! I actually bought some aircraft paint remover a few weeks back just for that purpose but was afraid it would make a bigger mess than I wanted to deal with at the time. This bike has the same size wheels as a 350f so I'm keeping my eyes open.

I have family in the Paris, IL area kinda near you. Maybe you'd allow me to drive to the land of covered bridges and check out that killer Hodaka sometime when I'm up there.

·
Registered
326 Posts
quote:Originally posted by mitchellsk

coolatula - thanks! I actually bought some aircraft paint remover a few weeks back just for that purpose but was afraid it would make a bigger mess than I wanted to deal with at the time. This bike has the same size wheels as a 350f so I'm keeping my eyes open.

I have family in the Paris, IL area kinda near you. Maybe you'd allow me to drive to the land of covered bridges and check out that killer Hodaka sometime when I'm up there.
Come over anytime,as long as I'm not stuck at work,which seems like all the time!:(

I can show you a Honda(mostly)motorcycle salvage yard(Budda's?) not too far(25mi.Wilber,In.) that should make you happy. The guy that runs it seems to be a really good guy and he LOVES Hondas!

He has a SUPER sweet,low mileage,metallic green CB350F he's restoring/rebuilding to sell(about $1,200). It's a beautiful looking machine in one of my favorite Honda color(s)/paint schemes.

The Hodaka Ace is actually at a friends house in little pieces as I slowly work on it bit by bit.

My garage is a total mess,so I have the bike there until I do some Fall clean-up and get room at my place again.

I have the rear set mounts on,some grinding/Bondo works done and the frame/swing arm is coated with black,spray on bed liner material.

That stuff is SUPER easy to apply,doesn't RUN,looks great and hopefully will be rugged and somewhat maintenance free(warm water and soap!). I'm letting it cure for about a week,since I can't get out there due to work anyway.

If the coating is good stuff then I may do the shock springs,lower triple tree etc. with the stuff.

I'll post pics when I can get out there(next Monday?)and get some of the frame/swing arm. I have some pics of the rear set mounts and seat/rear fender mods I've been working on as well.

After that then I'll start cleaning and putting a brushed,raw aluminum finish on all the bare aluminum pieces and polish up the chrome bits(tank,upper T-tree,fork legs etc.).

I'm going to rebuild the forks with thicker oil,stiffer springs and new seals.

Basically,I want the chassis done and ready to go before this winter so all I need to worry about on this bike is getting the engine modified and rebuilt before next spring.

I have a much more time consuming and expensive custom Harley 883(Sportster engine),Pro Street chopper build in the garage that I HAVE to complete by next season. I will then have to decide if I will keep it or sell it.

I'm stoked today though because I scored a factory,17",polished,FORGED aluminum(dealer installed upgrade)complete rear wheel(with 12 MILES on it!) off e-bay for my Harley project!:D

I got it for around $310.00 shipped(heavy item!). This is a steal for this item. The front/rear UPGRADE option is over $500 at the dealer.

The tire alone would cost $150.00+,not to mention I got the brake rotor and pulley with it as well.

I will need to get the tire turned around(my bike is right side drive)have 1" bearings installed(I think the soft tails still use 3/4"? 25MM?),get a longer 1"(or maybe even 25MM?)axle(mine is too short for the custom frame),find out what I need to change to fit the right size drive belt/front pulley etc..

Then have a fab/bike builder buddy of mine square up the powertrain and fab up some motor/trans mounts. THAT will be a great day when the motor is mounted so,I can worry about the SMALL stuff like tank,foot control,brake,oil tank mounts etc.!

I will have one of the few if not ONLY(?)RUBBER MOUNT,custom framed Sporsters in the state(Midwest?).

If I REALLY like the feel of the Harley and like riding it I'll try my best to hold on to it,but if it just doesn't float my boat I'll sell/trade it next Spring.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
rattle can or squirted out of a good gun

I'd lay odds the high pressure wand at the car wash would remove quite a bit of it

it's really tough to prep those spokes to actually hold paint

and you have to prime them with that zinc stuff if the spokes or nipples are actually chrome

doubtful the hubs were seriously prepped to hang onto the paint as well

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hackasaw - Thanks for the input.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts