Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey fellow enthusiasts, this is my first time posting a thread, so please be patient with my slow posting times and responses. This thread is about the first and only two motorcycles i own, and how i am building a cafe racer type bike out of them.

A bit about the bikes; My dad bought the two Suzuki TS185s a few years back. One bike slightly ran and the other has been sitting out of commission for quite some time, at least 8 years! Most of my family, (including my mom) has ridden or learned to how to ride on the working bike. So family ties are already strong. The running bike was being fed an oil/fuel mixture for as long as i can remember, and was mostly held together with duct tape... Now, the broken bike, all indications lead me to believe someone tried jumping it, and the landing didn't work out for them too well( collapsed the front forks, smashed up the tank, etc.) About 3 months ago i purchased the two bikes for $200 from my dad. I wanted a good summer project, and i love riding, but have never had my own motorcycle. I'm also a fan of vintage cars and bikes, which is where the cafe influence came from. After inspection of both bikes, i determined the non running bike would be the frame for my build, since both motor and tank were in better condition. So here's my build, i hope you all enjoy! I will be putting up as many photos as possible, here goes.

MotorcycleBuild15_zps86a82009.jpg MotorcycleBuild30_zps023e861c.jpg MotorcycleBuild27_zps0628a48c.jpg MotorcycleBuild25_zps300f0b20.jpg MotorcycleBuild24_zps905b6efd.jpg MotorcycleBuild22_zpsdb4642b1.jpg MotorcycleBuild21_zpsd3fd76a0.jpg MotorcycleBuild20_zpseee1080d.jpg MotorcycleBuild19_zpsda0bb285.jpg MotorcycleBuild18_zpsd892c26f.jpg MotorcycleBuild14_zps15201708.jpg MotorcycleBuild13_zps45d0ea0b.jpg MotorcycleBuild12_zpsf0736855.jpg MotorcycleBuild32_zps6125ad6b.jpg

So what we are seeing here is the original two bikes, the frame and motor after being scrubbed clean and what most of the original parts looked like before being sent to powder coat.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MotorcycleBuild35_zpse37ed379.jpg MotorcycleBuild37_zps64e70736.jpg MotorcycleBuild41_zpsb15605ae.jpg MotorcycleBuild44_zps6a187540.jpg

Painting the front shock absorbers. Box of powder coated parts. Including swing arm, battery cage, steering stem etc. I have lots more detailed photos, that may end up being linked to my replies since the files are so large.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes, the crashed frame and tank are in better condition. when you have a large family of boys it tends to tear up the working vehicles rather than the ones sitting around in the garage

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
not too lazy, the first images seemed to be smaller file sizes. I continue to get the "error: Remote file is too large" message even after resizing images on PB. so i must be doing something incorrect.

I will work on resizing these images for the ease of use for other members

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So this is about all i have done for the time being, again only about three months into the build. I already have a nice color picked out for the tank but ill save the surprise for the pictures. Obviously ill be getting new tires, fixing the steering stem and a few other things. Basically everything on this bike has been cleaned rebuilt or replaced. Id love to hear what you guys think thus far

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So, since you have so much to say, let me tell you about my "turn signals" again this is my FIRST motorcycle, and they are not turn signals. They are extremely bright dual intensity LED brake lights that are custom built and custom wired through the frame. In none of the pictures are they lit up. The reflection you see in the TAILLIGHT is from the flash of my phone. is there anything else you want to say to this first time builder, blogger, and visitor to this site?

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
So, since you have so much to say, let me tell you about my "turn signals" again this is my FIRST motorcycle, and they are not turn signals. They are extremely bright dual intensity LED brake lights that are custom built and custom wired through the frame. In none of the pictures are they lit up. The reflection you see in the TAILLIGHT is from the flash of my phone. is there anything else you want to say to this first time builder, blogger, and visitor to this site?
Yes, don't cop an attitude when you ask peoples opinion and it doesn't agree with yours, this isn't Do the ton. The posters here will be brutally honest when their opinion is asked for. I merely expressed my opinion with almost 40 years of experience. It's your bike and it's your decision to listen to those with experience or not

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You called me lazy, and gave me crap for not having your precious little images on the page, god forbid you have to open another tab. If this is a representation of how the senior members of this site act you can bet I won't be a member very long. Bummer I had respect for this site because I thought it would be a none "brutal" way to share my thoughts projects and ideas considering this is the first bike I have ever worked on. And from every other member I have seen, people share thoughts, not dog on a beginner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts