Cafe Racer Forum banner

81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Don't let it put you off. He seems to sneak in the backdoor every couple of years. There has got to be a lot of people, who don't deal well with being alone, that are hurting now. Hopefully he's off to deal with his demons and we can talk about the bike.
I would encourage you to stick around. There are some very knowledgeable, respected and experienced folks on this forum, who
are willing to share. BS answers to legitimate questions posed, are usually corrected by those who truly know whereof they speak.

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
What bike is that ? sounds like a 2 stroke maybe a gt 750 I guess ?
Sure sounds just like 3 suzuki 250 cylinders bolted together to me.
... and possibly lacking in gear ranges to keep it cooking in the power band.

GT was the street version, Suzuki built the TR models to race.
Just like Honda and Yamaha, they built race bikes with better frames motors and brakes to sell street bikes that did not have anywhere near the same features.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
TR complied (more or less) with the idea that the race bike should be based on the street bike which is where the rules were at that time. The TR made reasonable HP for the time with old technology. As a purpose built race bike, it would have been a different proposition.

That said, there are a lot of TR replicas around now making more HP than Suzuki managed back in the day. What is most surprising about the TR750 is how good they were for the time and that pipe is still among the best around for that motor in a reasonable state of tune.

For teh treet, 100hp is probably the upper limit and 80 is much easier to achieve and that's a heck of an increase over the stock 48 -50 at the rear wheel.

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
When I was into Suzuki, their race bikes were pretty unique and built from unobtanium
Race bikes were Suzuki development platform for years to come and they excelled at it,
and then they tried to build almost too much mass production economy and longevity into their consumer products.

Yamaha was way more open with selling tons of race bikes out of your local Yamaha shop.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Fuck you and fuck your beliefs.
All you do is spam threads with your insane ramblings.

The shit that you spout would be enough to turn the pope into an atheist.

Suck a dick and die.
I dont even care if i get banned for this.
Any decent thread is ruined by your cunty account.

Fuck you very much.
So here's what you do. Report every post. The three dots at the upper right corner of each post, click there, hit report, and put in your comment.

The powers that be don't hang out here so don't see any of this. I think they get an email every time a post is reported though, and on some sites after a certain number of reports the post is hidden.

Anywhos... I think the admins just got about 50 emails reporting posts here... feel free to add one or three or 50 more.

On the chance the admis get pissed I just sent them 50 emails, well, see ya guys around. If someone else reports 50 posts, then they might ban both of us. If a third person reports 50 posts, well, then it's an organization...

·
Registered
751 Posts
I do really like the GT750's,in fact any three cylinder 2 strokes are a thing of beauty, unfortunately this one looks like it was dredged out of a canal.

My uncle has one with a Sheene, Dunstall fairing kit. They were called kettles over here as they regularly boiled water if ridden hard or even tuned. He bought a TR engine to go in it but after pulling it apart it got left on the shelf, think he's now sold the TR engine and other race bits but it still isn't together as he has too many projects, mosty old brit bikes.

Best bet is make a nice street ride out of it go back to stock where possible and add better features. Originally the frame and suspension was just too weak, you might improve the suspension but that can wreak havoc on the noodle frame if over sprung. Again, go stock street bike and then look to improve it. Don't make a racer, especially if you've never raced before. If you do want to race, buy a track bike that's ready to learn on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Thank you Anyshep,

I unfortunately don't know how to do stock. I like to splice and dice to much. Yes, this bike does look like it came out of a swamp. I am still deciding on the frame. I have a GS1100 frame but not sure it will fit. Right now I am mostly working on the engine getting everything cleaned up. I will be having new bearings put on to the crank and balanced. Also getting the cylinders bored. The engine,
radiator and few other parts may be the only original parts used.

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
... I will be having new bearings put on to the crank and balanced. Also getting the cylinders bored. The engine,
radiator and few other parts may be the only original parts used.
:/ crank balanced? You going to weld the pins in place? You're spinning your wheels there unless the crankshaft has already twisted on the pins.
The bottom end bearing seals are far more likely to be shot before the main bearings turn to trash. That's the nature of a 2-stroke, you can't keep it running long enough to destroy the bearing if the bottom seal can't keep making the motor scavenge. If there was water in the bottom end, then yes, everything steel inside your motor that was touched by water will be prone to rust, including the roller bearings.

You bore out a 2-stroke when the cylinders are damaged, you don't do that because you are going for a displacement advantage or you are just spinning your wheels again.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Forgot to mention the brakes, even by the standards of the day they weren't great but can be improved slightly or replaced.

Tinkering is fine but it's much easier to do it on a bike that is together and running and it's easier to do that stock.

Why are you boring cylinders?

Why are you tearing it apart?
Does it need it? When did it last run?

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
GT brakes are worse than useless for fast street work, but fortunately they can be upgraded to modern disks and calipers and even more modern forks without too much pain. I used SV7650 calipers and CBR600F3 rotors. save a ton of weight and improve braking.

Frame is heavy and not very stiff, but OK for a Sunday ride. It can be braced but it's fine as long as it has decent forks and rear suspension.

Andyshep, I also have Dunstall GT750. Beautiful bikes but the bodywork exacerbates the low speed shakes.

Cranks can be balanced but rarely need it. Fortunately rods and bearings are all available should they be needed. Seals dry up and stick to the cranks and then leak, but easy to source and fit. Porting isn't hard but takes a huge amount of time to get it right.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I'm really tempted to see if my uncle will part with his, he's owned it since new but been sat in various stages of restoration for probably 25 years.

That, with improved brakes, suspension and stiffened frame would be a class and true to the name cafe racer.

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
You can lay down a nice smoke screen for the environmental people to follow :unsure:
... even if a cop didn't nail you, they have a government phone number here for people to anonymously report a smoking vehicle.
Track racing you could get away with it no problem. ymmv.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Our laws are set at the time so although you'd struggle to get a new two-stroke of any calibre through emissions, if it was legal, in decent nick and you're not a twat, you're fine.
Our MOT (yearly test) doesn't include emissions tests on bikes, yet.

We seemingly have more cameras than traffic cops anyway, so should be fine.

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
I can't understand why all these young wana be motorcycle builders are not building electrics, it would be so much easier. It's not like they are building them to wear them out riding them and build them up again.

Leave the old rare bikes for the experienced motorcycle enthusiasts.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Aye, buy a motor, speed controller and battery, then build yourself a frame with USD forks, single sided swing arm. You could fab your own brackets for whatever fairing or not you want.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
One great advantage of young guys "building" old bikes is that most of them actually learn something about bikes and how they work. Arguably none of that is needed with modern reliable, disposable bikes, but I think it's useful knowledge for life in general and it connects people which has to be good.

As for electric bikes, who needs to sit on a short range electric lawn mower? I know they are fast and the race bikes are fun to watch, but they are missing something - maybe it's that elusive soul thing. They are just not natural....

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Speaking about learning...
I was told by a crankshaft company you couldn't really balance a triples crankshaft.
I tried looking into it and got into info that was quickly over my head.
Seems as though for an inline 3 the pistons are balanced internally? but the engine has a marked rocking moment.
If thats the case, why the heavy cranks?

81 - 100 of 108 Posts