Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ever since I bought my Electra Glide I have lost all interest in wrenching and working on stuff. We find ourselves wanting to ride everywhere and explore new things so wrenching and working on stuff seems to be a thing of the past for me. I'm slowly selling off everything that requires my "love" or "attention" and focusing on things that require no "love & attention". ...ideally I would like just an HD, Honda Goldwing and an Africa Twin...that's it.

I just pulled my old CB out from the corner of the garage...where it has been sitting for years with loads of "stuff" stacked on top of it. It literally feels like a Craigslist find in that it is not running but "ran when parked"......which was like 2012 or 13... something like that. Based on the appearance it looks like a lost and forgotten project but it really isn't or wasn't. I've owned this bike since 2006. It started out for me as an old F that had a Quicksilver fairing for touring. I purchased it from a gentleman from the east coast. I used it for awhile in that state (about 2 years) before it's first cafe transformation. It had a small cafe/bump seat, clip ons and a stock tank.....not the tail on it now.....the usual. It ran like the dickens and a blast to ride but I was never really fond of all aspects of the cafe racer theme at the time..... just some aspects. I was always a Superbike fan so for its next recreation I used the longer CR tank, a different tail (still not the one pictured) and drag bars. I ran it like that for a while then decided to change more things. I went with Superbike bars, different tail, dropped the clip ons and went to proper mirrors, added the little front fairing and a few,other things, went to Daytona orange for the paint......and never finished it. A lot has been done to it. Complete motor overhaul, fork internals...just everything. But now it suffers from neglect. It is a kinda of cafe/Superbike style which I like. Everyone has different tastes and this one's mine.

My intention is to get it up and running, cleaned up, sorted out, use it for a while then sell it. I know it looks like crap now but this was a stunning ride to look at at a time and it road fabulous.....classic CB. And that's another thing...I never really liked modern running gear on older rides. I just wanted to improve era stuff the best I could while maintaining that original feel. It started out for me as burgendy, then a white pearl, and now it's current orange state. Back in the olden days everybody took off everything and drilled stuff out. Some stuff I regret but most not and most can be done right. I want blinkers back on...and not some flush mount crap but some proper ones....like ones off my DR or an Ascot or something 80s like that..I don't know.

Here's a couple of pictures of its current neglected state and ones from its original purchased state. In a lot of ways I loved that quick silver, king and queen seats with the pulled back bars. I wish sometimes I just left it alone like that and road it like I owned the 80s!

20190715_135824.jpg

20190715_135829.jpg

20190715_135948.jpg

20190715_145113.jpg

20190715_145143.jpg

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
You know your gonna ride it again and wonder why the hell you want to sell it. If I had the money I'd add it to my garage.

Reactions: knappyfeet

·
Registered
181 Posts
Lotsa good, lotsa bad there in my opinion. Not really much Superbike there, as that has always been a "stock appearing bodywork" class, and by the time it was sanctioned the Honda single cam was largely uncompetitive with the dohc's and big twins.

Here is how I have mine, maybe give you some idea's. Kind of a "what if" the Honda's had enough grunt...
KIMG0114 by Sean Barney, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
She'll get a bath tomorrow....kinda clean it up and see what I want to attack first.

Aside from the longer reach to the bars..which can be solved...it is a cafe themed bike that you could ride to Vegas and not feel exhausted and has the ability to accommodate some sizeable bags for an overnighter. Of course that was with its previous seat pan. Although it sips fuel it's fuel capacity will require more frequent stops than a goldwing but I can't remember a ride with fellow cafe customs where a longer jolt than say an hour and a half was the limit of everyone's bodies. This could take you much further.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Glad to see you back on it. Put a seat on it, get it up and running, and ride it and see what things you want to change. I love F bikes, always solid sporting cb750s.

If I can make 2 suggestions - dual disc upfront, and the 77-78 cb750F carbs make a world of difference in the ride-ability.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
She'll get a bath tomorrow....kinda clean it up and see what I want to attack first.

Aside from the longer reach to the bars..which can be solved...it is a cafe themed bike that you could ride to Vegas and not feel exhausted and has the ability to accommodate some sizeable bags for an overnighter. Of course that was with its previous seat pan. Although it sips fuel it's fuel capacity will require more frequent stops than a goldwing but I can't remember a ride with fellow cafe customs where a longer jolt than say an hour and a half was the limit of everyone's bodies. This could take you much further.
I’m assuming that is the CR7503M tank from Airtech? (don’t see the sump at the back). If so, and you happen to have it off at some point.... any chance you could do a few tunnel measurements?

If you need a countershaft sprocket, I’m pretty sure I have a new OEM one. Only CB750 part I have, so no good to me unless I modify it or use it for a yard art project.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Hope you plan on cleaning up the wiring on the right side. Seem's like a bit of a hazard. I can just imagine catching that with a boot and losing power in a corner or something

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad to see you back on it. Put a seat on it, get it up and running, and ride it and see what things you want to change. I love F bikes, always solid sporting cb750s.

If I can make 2 suggestions - dual disc upfront, and the 77-78 cb750F carbs make a world of difference in the ride-ability.
That's great advice. I'm already cruising the Ebay

I’m assuming that is the CR7503M tank from Airtech? (don’t see the sump at the back). If so, and you happen to have it off at some point.... any chance you could do a few tunnel measurements?

If you need a countershaft sprocket, I’m pretty sure I have a new OEM one. Only CB750 part I have, so no good to me unless I modify it or use it for a yard art project.
You got it. The tank and rear tail are both airtech

What was done to the front forks?
The forks got a complete overhaul with bushings new, progressive springs and racetech emulators.......fork seals with new fluid. I can't really remember the preload but the feel is great yet still that old CB feel

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hope you plan on cleaning up the wiring on the right side. Seem's like a bit of a hazard. I can just imagine catching that with a boot and losing power in a corner or something
Yea the wiring is dangling all over. That may be to the rear tail light.

Back in the day when accent lighting was just coming out I had that on the bike.....along with some markers here and there.....wiring may be hanging around from that as well

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Yea the wiring is dangling all over. That may be to the rear tail light.

Back in the day when accent lighting was just coming out I had that on the bike.....along with some markers here and there.....wiring may be hanging around from that as well
Cool. I just see stuff like that and cringe. Having spent much of my adult life working in I.T. and high end A/V, wire management is a big OCD thing for me

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
My understanding was that progressive springs didnt work with emulators, hence why the racetech springs are a standard winding. Am I mistaken?

·
Registered
181 Posts
gonna have to disagree with Geeto on the 77/78 carbs as there are few tuning parts available, the accel. pump is very expensive (and difficult!) to get working, and even more difficult to keep working in the ethanol age. Without the accel. pump, they are lean burn emissions era garbage.

The stock 75-76 use the same parts as all other years of sohc 750. They are stone axe simple and contain no o-rings to constantly need replacing. They can be torn down, cleaned, and adjusted dozens of times without needing a single replacement part. Many services don't even require removal, as the float bowls pop right off with just a spring clip holding the bowls on.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My understanding was that progressive springs didnt work with emulators, hence why the racetech springs are a standard winding. Am I mistaken?
Progressive spring winding doesn't work well with the emulators...standard winding much better. Your spot on on that.

I've purchased racetech springs a handful of times. It's always progressive for me but it very well may have racetech standard winding springs in it. It looks as if one of the fork seals is leaking so when I tear into it to repair I will know!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
gonna have to disagree with Geeto on the 77/78 carbs as there are few tuning parts available, the accel. pump is very expensive (and difficult!) to get working, and even more difficult to keep working in the ethanol age. Without the accel. pump, they are lean burn emissions era garbage.

The stock 75-76 use the same parts as all other years of sohc 750. They are stone axe simple and contain no o-rings to constantly need replacing. They can be torn down, cleaned, and adjusted dozens of times without needing a single replacement part. Many services don't even require removal, as the float bowls pop right off with just a spring clip holding the bowls on.
I dunno, my 1978 F always rode better than any of my round top cb750's specifically because of the accelerator pump. The secret to keep it working in the ethanol era is to ride the bike and not let it sit longer than a week. then again most of my riding was in a city environment with lots of part throttle and sudden bursts of acceleration. YMMV. I like the accel pump 77-78 carbs, others value the simplicity of the round tops. Personally I'd shitcan both for a set of kehin CR's but $500-700 is a lot to spend on carbs these days.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Personally I'd shitcan both for a set of kehin CR's but $500-700 is a lot to spend on carbs these days.
but is it really? once you get past the cost of entry and the cost of setting them up, They're an amazing value

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
The secret to keep it working in the ethanol era is to ride the bike and not let it sit longer than a week.
Or spend the time searching for gas stations that sell non-ethanol premium, avoid the ones in shity parts of town and pay the extra $$ for it. Honestly I hate ethanol, I have yet to see any real benefits aside from keeping the environmentalists happy'ish. I notice worse MPG and decreased performance. So with the lesser MPG, I am at the pump more often and spending more money in the long run. I did the math once, at the time it saved me like $400 a year to use non-ethanol premium in my truck instead of regular.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
lol i have a set of the sohc full rack carbs such as gee t oh speaks of
in sweet condition
also lol a set of sohc ready crspecials never had there bowels wet neither
we are motivated to sell its my job now
ebay links and a pic of my office 054.JPG 057.JPG
i got a million dollars in parts and parts bikes to move,and some really sought after vintage iron
like 350 desmo sebring jelly mold tank tz 4 cam anchor in front lol

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254262320149

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264365125019

if you want any of our parts that are being ebayed ill pull the listing and take off 15% right off the top and some more discviount kicked in as well
i cant be falling in love with a jillion parts
but you can bet i am gathering a collection of cool bits to build some tricked out scooters
i want to build a 2 t twin,in design similar to a rotax tandem

but a a 375cc usung a 125 and a 250 geared together
dont be a fool and say it wont work fact is it will work spectacularly well
the 2 disimilar power bands will complement each oither and wont it sound lovely ?
especially with the lashup being not one tgo one but geared logically the c125 spinning maybe 10% faster maybe even varible pitch fluid coupling with loickup clutch or a very close ration 2 or 3 speed geared couplng with programable lockup and overun clutches
right then 2 gearboxes final drive and a coupling gearbox
why has this not been done ?
oh yeah with variabkle crank fazing as well
big bang lag bang bing bang bong

1 - 20 of 26 Posts