Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my co-workers has a 1976 Kawasaki KZ900 LTD, he says he bought it for $2500 in the mid-80s. I'm not sure how long its been since he last rode it, and I haven't taken a look at it yet so I'm unsure of its exact condition, which I can't imagine is TOO bad.

He has lots of extras, like a full fairing, 4-1 header, sissy bar, drag bars, saddle bags, flatside carbs with velocity stacks, and some other things.

What would you say this bike is worth? He was told by a guy last year he could get 8-9k for it from a Japanese exporter, but seeing what they're going for on ebay I'm not sure about this figure. I'd like to help him sell it, or even buy it myself seeing as how he doesn't ride it. You think it would be a bad idea for a second bike? My current ride is a '78 XS400, so ya that would be a BIG change.

--------------------------

1978 Yamaha XS400. Stock for now.

Edited by - ZMan on Oct 31 2007 10:45:15 PM

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
The LTD models are way different than standard kz900s and not worth nearly as much as the standard kz900s (although some people think they are).

Pics would be nice or at least a really good description. At 1976 it is no longer a z1 which is where the $8K-$9K figure really would come into play, even standard 76 kz900s aren't going for that. the LTDs don't have the iconic z1/kz bodywork and seat which is part of the appeal and the high price.

Still it had a lot of neat mods and a lot of crap you would need to get rid of (flatslides stay, sissy bar goes). I would say $2500 is a fair price if the bike is in good condition. Less if it has been sitting for a while and still less if it needs cosmetics.

All the kz bikes 900ccs and up are heavy road rockets. You don;t ride them so much as you point and fire. Coming from cb750s, my buddys standard kz900 felt like a locomotive and pulled twice as hard. There is a reason why the kz is still one of the most used drag bike platforms there is. I love the sound of those motors too.

if your buddy needs convincing that his pricing would be out of wack, NADA (the standard value guide for all dealers and insurance companies) lists the top value of the bike as $2550 in excellent condition which I am sure his is not:

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.a...&m=0022&d=1500004076&y=1976&ml=K&gc=AM&gtc=MC

even the standard kz900 has a price listing of about the same:

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.a...&m=0022&d=1500004075&y=1976&ml=K&gc=AM&gtc=MC

show him the nada guide printouts and then offer him $1750 and see where it goes.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so basically its not a handling bike? I'll definatly let him know about prices.

--------------------------

1978 Yamaha XS400. Stock for now.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The big KZ's are not the best handling bikes at speed, but they have a feel that is all their own that you can really fall for. My dad has a mint '77 KZ1000 that I grew up drooling over. When you crack the throttle things in the mirrors dissapear very fast. They don't handle like other bikes I have ridden, but once you get used to the point and shoot riding style there isn't much that compares. My favorite part is how well balanced they are at low speeds. My dad's KZ is the only bike I can pull up to a stop and sit for a while without putting my feet down. The LTD may not be as sporty as the Z1 or the other Kz's but your ass will thank you for the nicer seat if you put any miles on her.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
moriwaki and kawasaki did very well in road racing with the big KZeds, but it took a lot of money to get there. It could be a handling bike if you upgraded a few things but you are defiantly at a disadvantage starting with an LTD. However if you can get the bike cheap enough pull the trigger as there is nothing faster or scarier from the 70's than a hopped up kz at WFO. Plus they are actually comfy two up for a superbike, atleast more comfortable than a cb750.

I made a mistake earlier. The KZ LTD for 1976 did have a different seat but it had the same fender as the other KZ900s. It was the kz1000 LTD that got the rear chrome fender that you couldn't convert to fastback styling. The other big change is the 16" rear wheel, as the other kzs had an 18", it also has mag wheels instead of spokes (the 77 kzs got mags all around). The big sissy bar/grab rail and higher handlebars don't help either. The bike was built in the states only and was built for this one year.

These bikes are uniquely american (they were only built in America) since the chopper craze was happening over here, and honda, suzuki, yamaha and kawasaki all pitched in to make chopper-ish conversions of their superbikes. For kawi's are LTDs, Yamaha uses Special, Suzuki often used the "L" designation on the name (e.g. gs850L), and honda's were all "customs". I have heard that the japanese love these bikes and do buy them from time to time for export but I would not bank your money on a japanese collector banging down your buddy's door.

If you are going to buy it I say do it and try to get it as cheap as you can. Otherwise tell him to put it on ebay and see where she goes. If he is holding out for anything above $2000 he is going to probably be disappointed.

Here is what an kz900 LTD looks like:

Edited by - geeto67 on Nov 01 2007 3:16:08 PM

Edited by - geeto67 on Nov 01 2007 3:21:20 PM

·
Registered
326 Posts
As the others have said the real nice low mileage original 1973 Z1 ,Z1R Turbo,a pristine factory Eddie Lawson Replica or fuel injected Z1000 may
bring big bucks to collectors.

Unless they are the first one or one of the first off the assembly line they STILL have to be in the kind of condition that warrants that kind of money. Collectors buy up the GOOD stuff FIRST and when they can't get it THEN that's when they lower their sites and start buying not so pristine(worn/used)and/or more common examples.

Just like everything else where prime examples of collectibles dry up the ragged out one will be worth more and more due to supply and demand of the better examples,but that time hasn't come to pass as of yet.

Check this article out. By 1975 5,000 Z1s were being produced per MONTH!
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/flashback/122_9610_kawasaki_903_z1/

Personally,I just want a plain Jane CSR1000 modified to resemble a Cafe style bike to play around on. Nothing special but to me the CSRs are the models that epitomizes what the "Z/KZ" bike should be. They are a kind of LTD "Lite" if you will.

Edited by - coolatula on Nov 01 2007 5:49:56 PM

1 - 7 of 7 Posts