Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1977 Honda Cb550 Cafe racer. selling to fund the next cafe build! This bike has been 100% torn down and rebuilt by ME. 13,000 miles Runs perfect! It starts as soon as you hit the button and sounds awesome. The donor bike came from New Hampshire so no title, just a bill of sale. Too many things to list but here are a few:

-Frame fabrications (rear end, center triangle)
-Electronics and battery re-located under the seat
-Hand shaped and fiberglassed seat
-new rear shocks with 2 inch booster blocks
-new tires
-restored rims
-MAC 4-1 chrome exhaust
-loaded gun rear-sets
-pod air filters
-rebuilt and re-jetted carbs
-shorty front fender
-clip on handlebars
powder coated frame
-custom paint job
-Mini tachometer
-hidden key ignition
-customized top crown

Im forgetting a few things. Come and check it out, you wont find another like it. Lots of hours, money and hard work put into this bike. I want to see it go to a good home. $3500 firm 978-290-0913
IMG_3984.jpg
IMG_3978.jpg
IMG_3985.jpg

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
Lots of cheap parts and the price reflects it. The only part I am worried about are the shock "lift blocks"?!?!?! have you guys zoomed in on that nonsense? that is some janky shit. I mean, it's a good start for someone to put real parts into it and fix the other nonsense.

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
This one is so bad they even were making fun of it on DTT!

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
I kinda like the color. I don't totally want to shit on this guy. but still, maybe the reason he's not happy with it is because so many corners were cut to deliver a less than fun riding experience.

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
The color is kind different.
Rest is cookie cutter at best.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I kinda like the color. I don't totally want to shit on this guy. but still, maybe the reason he's not happy with it is because so many corners were cut to deliver a less than fun riding experience.
Thanks. I got the idea for the color scheme from the Ducati sport classic Paul Smart edition. I am very happy with the bike, I just like to build, ride then sell to build another. This is not my daily rider. Thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
10,458 Posts
Thanks. I got the idea for the color scheme from the Ducati sport classic Paul Smart edition. I am very happy with the bike, I just like to build, ride then sell to build another. This is not my daily rider. Thanks for the feedback
It was kinda obvious you patterned off he PS bike.

An plans to be a contributing member of this site?
You did read other threads here right?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It was kinda obvious you patterned off he PS bike.

An plans to be a contributing member of this site?
You did read other threads here right?
Yes of course. I just recently learned of this website and made a membership. Looking forward to contributing to the different threads for sure

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
ok so you are responding to this thread, I have to know - why the lift blocks? that just seems counter intuitive to me because it required you to spend more money on something that delivers less than optimal shock performance, when properly sized shocks with the correct spring rate are readily available. Why?

BTW, the paulsmart is itself a homage to the original ducati 750 SS that Paul Smart won Imola with in 1972. The early street 750SS's carried this same scheme (called green frames because the actual color in real life is closer to a seafoam green than a blue). just sayin'

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok so you are responding to this thread, I have to know - why the lift blocks? that just seems counter intuitive to me because it required you to spend more money on something that delivers less than optimal shock performance, when properly sized shocks with the correct spring rate are readily available. Why?

BTW, the paulsmart is itself a homage to the original ducati 750 SS that Paul Smart won Imola with in 1972. The early street 750SS's carried this same scheme (called green frames because the actual color in real life is closer to a seafoam green than a blue). just sayin'
haha I have actually received a lot of questions regarding the rear shock blocks. I know they are a bit unnecessary, but luckily i didn't spend a penny on them. I kinda liked to unique look of the larger wheel-to-seat gap, so I CNC'd exact replicas of the boosters they sell at DCC just to try it out. Turned out to be ok. The frame is powder coated the actual "seafoam green" color. I special ordered it from Ducati (I own a Ducati) it just looks for turquoise in the picture.

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
you know, just because DCC sells it, doesn't mean it is a) safe, b) good, c) worth doing, d) a suspension upgrade. It was a pretty big assumption you made that just because somebody sells it means it isn't snake oil.

I was just wondering why you put so much effort into a short cut instead of meaningful modification.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'm confused by something in the seller's write-up. Is the bike for sale not licensed or titled or is there a second donor bike that is not titled or licensed. Also has there been engine work done?

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
I'm confused by something in the seller's write-up. Is the bike for sale not licensed or titled or is there a second donor bike that is not titled or licensed. Also has there been engine work done?
I was kind of wondering about that too. In NH vehicles of a certain age are only transferrable registration (NY has this practice as well) which means you transfer the registration and give the buyer a bill of sale. Some states abide by this practice, though their laws differ (In NY you could do this only with bikes 1972 and older so you couldn't buy this in NY and register it without a NH transferrable registration document). Some don't do this at all. In Ohio, if the seller is unable to provide a transferrable registration document, or some other form of ownership papers then there is no way to title or road register it - a bill of sale is not enough.

So does the bike have a transferrable registration? or did the builder just build it and then never register it?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I'm going to take a little different tack - it is clean looking and I think someone will buy it and enjoy it. I really don't see enough on the bike to beat it up. I think the guy did a good job as a build. There's nothing on the bike that makes me go gee wow but it is clean. I'd have a beer with this guy.

·
Registered
179 Posts
As Geeto said , registration can be expensive, impossible, or no problem depending what state you live in, without current title and license tags paid up to date.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If the shock lift blocks were laid backwards, they would resemble the lowering kits sold in the 70s, at the Honda dealerships. Not endorsing them now or then.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The bike does not have a title, just a transferable registration and a bill of sale. I rebuilt the top end on the motor, re-timed it, and replaced gaskets. Tuned and jetted the carbs to the pod filters

1 - 20 of 77 Posts