Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
23,288 Posts
You are unbelievable. You figured out my plan I've been sitting here trying to figure out how to surprise a new audience, you have got to be kidding. I should get whatever is lodged up my ass. You posted 5 times slamming my project after my first post. I was trying to share something that I am proud of with more like minded motorcycle people. As far as details about checking the engine out... Sorry I didn't give you enough details. I am just giving a overview of my build not trying to write a tech manual on how to check and rebuild a engine. As far as cosmetics I not only did made the bike look good I made the rearsets, I cut the original hoop off the back of the bike and bent and welded a new hoop, I rebuilt the forks, I rebuild the brake calipers, replaced all the bearings in the neck and wheels. I relaced both front and rear wheels with stainless steel spokes, I did some rewiring, the list goes on. As far as the engine here a list of what I did since your so interested.I removed the bolt that is just in front of the left cylinder, as you sit on the bike. This is the restrictor for the oil feed to the cylinder head and makes sure that the oil pressure is backed up to the crank. I took off the alternator cover. Below the alternator you will find the oil pressure relief valve, this takes the form of a steel tube with a ball and spring up it I took it out cleaned it up and then put back with loctite and then wire lock it. I checked that your oil pressure warning light was properly working. The Cam chain do stretch and flap, because the tensioner is not very good. I pulled the rocker cover off and checked the tension. I checked the depth of the recesses to take the O rings that seal the main oil galleries between the two crankcase halves. If they are not recessed it will cause weepage out through the gasket. I took the bungs out of the crank for the big end sludge traps these traps were full of muck and would have starved the big end shells of oil flow. On the camshafts, which are in two parts, Ducati saw fit to block off the hole for the oil feed to the cam lobes with a dished washer like a water jacket core plug. These were never designed to take the pressure of cold 20/50 oil on them and can blow out, leaving you with no oil feed to the top end! The solution was to put the cam in a lathe and bore the end to take an aluminum bung and fit that bung with loctite and face off, so that they press together and can't go anywhere. I also checked the end float on the crankshaft for slop. This is adjusted by placing shims behind the LH main bearing, This stops sideways movement of the crank across the face of the main bearings and will reduce wear.
I have never had anyone jump on anything I have ever posted before in such a negative way. I have no interest in defending myself about a project that I built or where I posted it first. Talk about relaxing you should take your own advise. I'm done on this board don't need the aggravation.

That was very informative. Thank you.

Its only negative if you take it that way. While it is a nice bike and you should be proud of it you can't pretend you didn't start with a bike with the worst reputation in motorcycling.
You realize that you have now written more technical stuff here than you have anywhere else on the Internet about the bike. All because someone said it was probably bad form to post something you wrote almost 6 months ago on another forum as your introduction (and by the way it is).

·
Registered
10,449 Posts
Meh. Geeto is just pissed his Ducati hates him.

now this bike is the worst? Though a CX or hawk was?

the OP didn't really offer much here, or put in any effort.
kind of a shame as it seems he has something to add.
bike is mildly stock, but seems to have some well thought out albeit not race mods, but mods nonetheless.

the shocks are a fail though.

but would really rather save the full hate for someone way more deserving.

·
Registered
23,288 Posts
The cx or hawk are at least good reliable transport if you don't mod them. A duc para twin is designed to eat itself. His is the first one I have ever heard about with more than 5k miles.

If you want to see mean, google 500 GTL and then read every Ducati only forum. Even Ducati wants to pretend these bikes don't exist.

dude wanted an Internet handjob just for showing up.

·
Registered
23,288 Posts
I agree, which is why I was a little disappointed why he just chose parts you would see on a crappy jap bike (I'm talking about the tank and clubman bars). His rearsets look nice though.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
From the other thread... I think the 500 gtl would be a good recipient for a kawasaki 650 twin.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
If you want to see mean, google 500 GTL and then read every Ducati only forum. Even Ducati wants to pretend these bikes don't exist.
Now now now, it isn't all THAT bad.

On the list I frequent, which centers around bevel bikes, the paralyzed twins are recognized. Mainly as sources for a chassis to put a bevel single engine into. ;)

Seriously though, they are typically talked about in the same frame of reference as a Ducati Indiana. There are people who like them, or at least don't despise them, but typically its because they're the red headed step children of the Ducati world. Some people like that. :confused:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I agree, which is why I was a little disappointed why he just chose parts you would see on a crappy jap bike (I'm talking about the tank and clubman bars). His rearsets look nice though.
I love the look of that stock tank. I would have kept it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bam, 24,000 miles and still clicking.... Haters and Nay sayer's current jetting 68 idles 110 mains 260AB emulsions 35pumps 70mm ram tubes airbox delete Sachse Electronic sparkbox no points....

77 Ducati 500gtl.jpg

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Pretty quick to turn it off after you revved it....haha...

Anyway, who cares? People still ride KR250's which are arguably bigger hand grenades so you aren't really proving anything more than you got lucky.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
mmmm kr250 :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Last check of the plugs bike still wants more fuel, looking for a 13 tooth front sprocket gear down a little, need to get some hotter coils these factor coils are good but looking for some good 3ohm coils suggestions? image.jpg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Plug check..

How are you doing the plug check?
Usually wide open throttle at high speed, shut it off, check the color of the ceramic as you can see light brown showing up here, should be a little darker I'm running heat range 7 ngk's old school method hot rodder style ... :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Jetted up from 110 mains to 115 and at 70 idles from 68, runs much better now 9.5% & 7.6% more fuel seat if the pants checks out good also, had to shim clutch springs as the clutch was slipping... :) image.jpg

21 - 40 of 60 Posts