Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm new here. I've had a few years of experience in motorcycle mechanics and attended MMI recently. Though I'm not a full time mechanic for work, working on bikes is my all time passion. I've had most of my "project" bike experience working on a 98 cbr900rr that I built into a street fighter.

I just recently bought a '77 Suzuki GS750 to fix up. It needs some work to get it running right, but I'm on the right track for it to run minty fresh.

My reason here is to see what all you guys have to say about what style I should make this bike. I've looked around at different projects people have done with these bikes but the vast majority of them are cafe racers. I love the style, but it's such a generic style to have on these GS's. I want my bike to stand out from the crowd. I thought about a scrambler but it's kinda big and bulky for something like that. Maybe a tracker? I'm not a huge fan of bobbers.

If anyone's got ideas or projects I can check out to get some ideas I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
just go superbike style. You can't go wrong.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My bike is only running on 2 of the 4 cylinders right now so I've got a new ignition coil coming in a couple of days (that's the problem), but it isn't feeling like there's a ton of compression in the engine either. Given it's only 8.7:1, but still feels pretty low. I was looking online for top end kits and it turns out I can buy big bore stroker kits for less than a standard top end 😂 so that's the route I'll be taking at some point. Seems to fit the super bike style pretty well. Have you guys ever heard anything about those Wiseco kits for these bikes? I know I'll have to bore the cylinders out myself, but I was just curious if anyone has heard of this stuff. Does it sound like a good idea or nah?

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
check your valve adjustments, that may be contributing to any compression/running issues.
The 8 valve GS750s NEED to have their valve clearances checked as part of regular servicing or else you run the risk of burning a valve.

this thread has some GS750 info in it.

Reactions: TrialsRider

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
My bike is only running on 2 of the 4 cylinders right now so I've got a new ignition coil coming in a couple of days (that's the problem), but it isn't feeling like there's a ton of compression in the engine either. Given it's only 8.7:1, but still feels pretty low. I was looking online for top end kits and it turns out I can buy big bore stroker kits for less than a standard top end 😂 so that's the route I'll be taking at some point. Seems to fit the super bike style pretty well. Have you guys ever heard anything about those Wiseco kits for these bikes? I know I'll have to bore the cylinders out myself, but I was just curious if anyone has heard of this stuff. Does it sound like a good idea or nah?
Do a compression check and then you will know more about the current condition of the items you are considering replacing, if the compression test is perfect :/ why replace those parts at this point, if the compression test is ugly then internal inspection is in order.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I think he should just buy my GS and start riding.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts