Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So my friend and I have cleaned and rebuilt the VM26SS Mikuni carbs of a 1978 GS750 with pod filters attached to them. Wondering if anybody knows/have insights/experience how many turns out does the air screw and the fuel screw need to be? The motorcycle will be running with pod filters at around 2300' feet elevation with exhausts that looks like this (picture is not our bike, but the exhaust looks similar to it. I don't have the picture of our bike with the exhaust yet right now).

Any help is appreciated. Thank you :)

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
I doubt you have a fuel screw, it's likely a needle with slots in it and you position the needle height to alter the fuel delivery.

Paper pods = complete crap.
They are never suppose to get wet :/ how in hell could anybody ever keep them dry hanging out in the environment like that.
Felt pods = you are suppose to oil them, and if you made the pods modification where are you venting your crankcase now, through some POS tiny paper pod filter stuck on the breather port = bad idea, crankcase vents constantly spew blow-by gasses, plus oil and water condensation.

No airbox + open exhaust, you will need to reverse all of the efforts the manufacturer originally made to give that bike decent fuel range and economy. You will need to enrich the fuel/air mix until it starts spewing raw fuel out the exhaust and the power curve is like to have great big flat spots or dips. Exhaust volume and air induction noises will increase exponentially.

as for the full knobby tires with no fenders :LOL: I would point and laugh at that part. You're going to be throwing stones at yourself on a regular basis.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts