Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at maybe buying a 1978 Honda CX500 this weekend. I wanted to post the details that I received about the bike and get some feedback on whether it seems like a good purchase for the price (asking $2,800). I'm likely to tinker with the bike over time but not wanting to throw money at it immediately. Honda CX500 - 1.jpg

Any advice or thoughts are welcomed.

"New after-market carbs New Mechanical Seal Upgraded alternator and Electronic Ignition System - Hall Effect Upgraded radiator fan to an electric Ducati Fan Leather seat with tail loop New Rear Engine gasket New oil filter New engine bolts Painted the Engine with high heat Black Paint Powder Coated frame New head light New exhaust and mufflerNew fork seals New tires Upgraded front disc brake Everything has been re-greased and oiled and she's ready to rumble. The only thing I did not upgrade was the tank. The previous owner had redone the inside of the tank - so it works really well, it just isn't pretty. There are workmanship flaws in the tank and a dent in the tank from it being dropped (not the bike, the tank)."

"As far as running the bike, its great - but like all vintage vehicles it has its quirks or 'unique characteristics'. It needs to get warm, and likes to run at a little higher rpm at stoplights. I think its the new carbs. I'm not sure if it's getting enough air- or if the fuel line to the carbs are giving it enough gas because sometimes it'll idle off. That's the only thing I haven't given enough time to figure out - but it doesn't affect its reliability enough for me to care. I can show you what I mean when you come see it."

·
Registered
6,029 Posts
very querky
lol headlight direction and the front brake line routing indicates just how much riding it sees.

Do you know what they sold for brand new in 1978? <- please point out one improvement over the original.
... would make a damn good saw mill, but not at that price.

·
Registered
6,029 Posts
? are those harley rear shocks or what

BTW: that bike would fail tech inspection
Even Dirt bike tech inspection! <- rear fender must extend to a distance of no less then a point directly above the rear axle for a reason.

[email protected]#$% it's even got the passenger pegs mounted backwards, it's a death trap for passengers, don't put anybody on there you like.
... and don't go saying those are the rearsets or I'll puke.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In your opinion what would you offer then? I want to be respectful when I start to discuss the price with the guy if I decide to purchase. I don't know if it is the best valuing website, but KBB has the bike "stock" at $1,500. Like you said I don't know exactly what has been done that makes the seller believe $2,800 is reasonable.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Asking whether, or not, a CX500 is a good idea (at ANY price) on THIS forum is like looking down the barrel of a gun to see if it is loaded.......

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
it is junk dude unsafely and badly modified
it is a parts bike

fer fucks sake open your eyes look at the front brake line !! tight as a banjo string
lord only knows how those forks are set up but they need to have static sag and what that means is the forks can extend farther in...good lord why do i bother
the ignorance of the general population today is astounding
motherfuckers that build deathtraps like that should have their hand chopped off

·
Registered
6,029 Posts
IMO he's asking way above book value for half a bike.
So I guess that makes it about 750$ canadian that's about 580USD

580 sounds about right.
... only because it would make a damn good saw mill

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Asking whether, or not, a CX500 is a good idea (at ANY price) on THIS forum is like looking down the barrel of a gun to see if it is loaded.......
I guess that means it would be unwise for me to post pictures of my GL500 Interstate project? Perhaps a waste of my remaining time on this god forsaken planet, but I'm too far into it to turn back. Don't want to post anything yet anyway,.... the bone line is still off and the triangle has been filled with a Rube Goldberg like collection of dumpster findings.

OP.... if you were close by, you could have the 500 lbs of leftovers which includes all the ProLink shock, linkage, and swingarm bits. You could even have the swingarm pivots that I removed from the frame with a big ugly angle grinder......

Ps, I've had just oodles of gun safety training, so I may lose my brains, but won't be from this sort of thing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5tvJa5jk9rg

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Stock, it was a commuter bike and in my opinion a good one. Nothing special just affordable, easy handling, reliable transportation. I drove one for over a year and it took me everywhere I wanted to go without a single issue or breakdown. Had luggage and I drove two up often. Low on power and not exactly a looker except that funky engine design. I liked that. Absolute shit as a cafe bike. You should probably walk away from this one. THAT bike is poorly thought out and dangerous to who ever buys it. I wouldn't cut his hands off as previously mentioned but I might make him ride it which could end worse. Whats your wrenching and riding experience? What kind of riding do you want to do? Whats your budget?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
dont get me wrong i thought they were a very good motorcycle as well
back in the day 2 riding buddies had the first oners
they had a very cool little deflector windscreen thing at the clocks
super comfortable seat and riding position

you could rev 10k rpms every gear and they did not handle horribly
of course my rd350 with chambers and suspension upgraded would spank them
the one dude an erxpert flat track racer he was never that far behind in the twisties
but i always had my helmet and gloves off,weed and papers out,waiting at the intersections to flog their egos :eek:
absolutely as reliable as a brick
but they could be improved in the perf catagory
instead witless morons molest them to anti-performance
and expect to get 3 times the value of a good stock one

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
they could be improved in the perf catagory
instead witless morons molest them to anti-performance
and expect to get 3 times the value of a good stock one
Yea mine was gutless really, but it didn't complain about 2 up though which was nice. It's the kinda bike I'd tell my kids to buy as a first road bike. Something like this with luggage.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruisers-choppers/hamilton/1982-honda-cx-500-may-trade-for-vintage-audio-tent-trailer/1367216475?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I bought my CX500 for $500 as a stock bike back in 2008.

I "upgraded" it and rode it for three years before leaving home.
I sold it two years ago for $500.

(mind you this bike was put together before you kids had all these fancy off the shelf CX500 upgrades... we had to cobble stuff together ourselves.)

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
`a former business associate of mine had an imaculate cx500 turbo
he wanted me to ride so i let him on my kz900/1000 and took my current fox on as pillion
we rode for a good hour around chico out in the flats
never had a chance to solo it but man it was really a fun machine
had a colored bartgraph boost display and it went dam hard hammering on boost
i admit i would love to have one now.turbo cx..a really stunning beautiful design as well in my opinion

1 - 15 of 15 Posts