Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1978 honda hawk 400 i lost the key so it sat for about 10 months. i drained the gas charged the battery and it ran good before now when i hit the start it does nothing. i am not a mechanic was just hoping it might be an easy fix. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. i have the kickstand up tried to kick start it but nothing kick starter goes all the way down just wont start

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
Do you own a multi-meter tester and have any idea how to use it?
Start with a bad ground or resistance in a positive electrical circuit where it should not be.
...or did you just forgot about some safety switch, clutch?
Mouse damage? check your air box.
Do you have the electrical diagram for the bike? OEM service manual even better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for your reply i dont have a tester. put a new
ignitiom switch in had to take off the head light would there be a ground there i might have dissrupted?where would a safety switch be located?the kill switch on the right handlebar i have tried in all positions and i have pulled the clutch in.sorry dont know alot about repairs.

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
Schematic wiring diagram is your best reference, did you just take it apart and put it back together?
Lots of things have grounds starting with everything that has to be rubber mounted like light bulbs.
Or even handle bars if they are rubber mounted and need ground for switches, too many possibilities, everything is on the wiring diagram including safety switches. Start there.

I don't know how anybody could own a motorcycle for long without learning some mechanics, pretty sure it can not be done. Basic electrical testing is an excellent start.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
There is no ground in the headlight but everything need to be properly connected in there.
Does the new switch work and is it wired properly? Are you sure the battery is good? Does your dash light up? Does the neutral light go on and off as it goes in and out of gear? Check fuses, battery ground?

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
You can download a full service manual from carlsalter.com for free i just did

... but the wiring diagram is not good enough for my eyes.
Service manual is great anyway, memorize the whole thing tonight, there will be a test on it tomorrow lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my cousin passed away from a heart attack he was only 48 yrs. old and left me the bike.i am not a motorcycle person i just want to sell it. i do have his album collection of over 1000 albums that i will always keep. thanks for all your input i put up some pictures of the bike how much do you think i should ask for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Sorry to hear about your cousin 48 is awfully young.

Go to the Hondatwins.net site and join, then explain your situation in an introduction and post a photo with location. Ask for opinions on price and if you may post it for sale. There are lots of Americans that will be able to give you pricing for your location, you may even find a buyer. Post on Craiglist as well. Mileage, location, chrome condition, dents, the gas tank's interior condition (is it rusty, how bad, photo if possible), does it come with a title, how long has it been idle are all important to vintage buyers. The exhaust isn't original and it's not running so that will lower the value. Make sure your photos show the visual defects of the bike.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I see you have been to the Twins site. You would have been much further ahead to go at things the way I had told you. Instead you arrived, told them you were only there to sell the bike. You didn't ask for opinions or help so you're just some dipshit using them for a classified. Do you really think they don't know the market value of a Honda twin?I doubt you will get a response.

$1200US for it is ridiculous, to me it's a $200Cdn parts bike at best but that's why I suggested you ask where people from Florida are buying and selling them.

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
I think you should fix it up and ride it in his honour, learn a few things about motorcycle mechanics in the process, but that's just me, I am a motorcycle person.

... and right about now people are more interested i buying food and toilet paper.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts