Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Suzuki SP370
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Documenting my build here, starting with a non-functional SP370 from 1978. Work so far is a rebuilt top end, replaced & rebuild carby, new shocks, had the frame dipped & painted a while back, put on a bigger tank, few new and used parts here and there. Goal is to get her up and running, then start working on performance & styling.

Should only need a tune to get her up and running once I have put it all back together, still in need of a few parts.

Anyone who has experience with the SP370/SP400 or even the mikuni vm32ss carbs, follow along as I will definitely be needed a helping hand.

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
... the mikuni vm32ss carbs,
I think I had one of those on an Arctic Cat snowmobile, it was bulletproof unless it sucked in way too much snow. I bet the most you have to do with it is set the needle jet height with the circlip and keep it clean.

Brakes are marginal on that bike keep the wheel bearings good and the drum brakes trued or they will be even worse.

·
Registered
1978 Suzuki SP370
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Stripping the bike down, look much cleaner after some prep and paint. Turns out the carb has been replaced with a VM34SS. Unsure how this will effect things but it is also currently seized up. Will be cleaning it out and getting it working again to see if it runs with the 370 motor.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
If you intend to 'cafe' it you will need to fit a smaller front wheel, 21" is just 'silly' and has too much gyroscopic effect even with a fork brace
Personally I would put it back to completely stock.
It's the best wheelie toy you will ever have (even local police thought so and gave me a warning instead of a ticket, told me they had watched 5 days but sergeant coming on duty hated bikes)
The 400 can have CDI issues, points on 370 are way more reliable.
It's a fun bike but doubt anything 'performance' is available, there wasn't much available even when they were 'new'
Do you have service manual? I think I still have OEM around somewhere (but it's been 30+ yrs since I had SP

Reactions: TrialsRider

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
Must admit that's probably the most sensible option, still a great project and the values of old dirt bikes has gone through the roof.
Have they? I didn't notice,
been too busy making old dirt bikes out of expensive new dirt bikes.

Should I be raising the selling price on my used bikes?

·
Registered
21 Posts
In Australia the used/collectable bike market has gone beserk this year, anything from the 70's 80's and 90's have soared in price, and it seems old dirt bikes, especially two strokes have suddenly become like gold.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts