Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I purchased a1978 Suzuki GS750 as a project and now I have finally got it running. First time I took it out it was having problems shifting. Hard into first, hard into neutral and very hard into 2nd and then won’t shift past 2nd. Felt like it was hitting something. So this morning I drained the oil and I cleaned and oiled the shift plates. When I put them back in was going to see if it would shift gears the shift shaft was very “loose”. This is what I found. I’m assuming the teeth on “fork” of the shift shaft have to be inline/connected to the teeth on the sprocket behind the clutch basket correct. Right now it just flops around. I have my manual and I searched online and this forum but couldn’t find anything.
thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The teeth don’t mesh with the gear. There is a ratchet mechanism behind the gear that they work with. There should be a small post on nut hiding behind the shift mechanism in your picture. The post should be in between the spring tabs on the mechanism

Reactions: TrialsRider

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
And if all else fails check your shifter forks to see if they are bent,
they are totally inside the transmission, oil ain't going to fix that, parts would.

and this is why your first project motorcycle should be a single.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes should have been a different bike but I got a really good deal on it so I had to jump on it.
8ball.... I believe this is the post on nit you were talking about?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Yep. That’s how it’s supposed to be

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Put it all back together and still having the same problem. I guess it will be shift fork inspection next. I did read on another forum that someone was having the same problem on a similar bike and they replaced the shift shaft and fixed the problem. It was worn down from low speed excessive use. Do you think that could cause this?
Again thanks for all you help and advice

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Bent shifter forks happen in crashes on the shift lever or people stomping on the shifter to shift gears. The shift shaft is hardened steel that should not fail, the shift forks are soft cast. That part in your photo is just to spring centre the shift lever isn't it?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Attached is a pic of how the shift ratchet mechanism should be. This will be behind the clutch basket and clutch drive gear in your first pic.

Reactions: TrialsRider

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
OP download a free oem service manual if you have not done so before now. You should do that with every motorcycle you own!

That stupid little gear cluster could be your whole problem.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts