Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Well...we tried the bike today and had a great success (almost)! We hooked up a car battery to jump start the bike battery and at first we were able to hear the starter motor running. However, it did nothing more than that. We decided to test the spark plugs to see if there were any sparks or not - turns out there were no sparks. Founded out that the cable from the ignition coil to the right handlebar wasn't connected so we connected that.

Good news:
-The engine did start! We turned the choke on and used the starter button to start the engine. It revs well when we increase the throttle.

Bad news:
-The engine dies whenever it is on idle rev (when we don't increase the throttle).

There are two things we suspect that may happen: 1) the engine isn't warm up enough and needs more time under choke and 2) the carburetors aren't set/tuned properly because the guy who had the bike before us, even though he cleaned up the carburetor, might not have tuned it properly.

Is there any fix to this? Also, thank you for all your help! :)

Link to video of starting the engine:

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
... the carburetors aren't set/tuned properly because the guy who had the bike before us, even though he cleaned up the carburetor, might not have tuned it properly.
I can guarantee the guy before you did not have a clue how to properly service that motorcycle.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
When you said that it's only running on half the cylinders, I'm wondering how did you figured that out? Is there a way to fix this problem?
I would start by trying to figure out which ones are running, they are the only cylinders that will get hot on the manifolds :| don't burn yourself.

"how did you figured that out?" I'm old and have been bush fixing shit forever and I had bikes sound and perform like that lots. If you say they are all getting hot I will be amazed.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts