Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did not. The fellow that DID ride it, did so for a LOOOONNNGGG time. The front tire is quite warn off center. I got the bike assembled minus a few lights and nuts/bolts. It came with an extra engine and carb cluster. It wasn't running when I brought it home but I was able to get it running in about two hours. I didn't notice the wear on the tires until I started cleaning the bike and breaking everything down. The forks are slightly bent.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Is that front frame tube bent as bad as it looks in the pic? How could you not possibly see that when looking at the bike. I would have run from that deal unless they were paying me to take it away for salvage. I bought a 78 GS750E new.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
a) GS750 frames are cheap so it isn't worth it to straighten financially.
b) the frame construction is as such once bent it really will never be straight again. If you notice it is a lot of pressed metal and tubes spot welded together badly. You'll always be chasing cracks.
c) if you have the skills to make a frame jig, then presumably you have the skills to make a new frame. If that is the case then why not do a little research and then use the neck (and your existing title) to make something like a Bimota SB2 replica frame (the bimota SB2 used the GS 2 valve engine in a really good chassis:

1977-Bimota-SB2-R-Rear-Naked.jpg

sb-engine.jpg

·
Registered
830 Posts
Tell Dave Steele that Don the Air Force Guy said Hi. I used to work for him part-time back in the late eighties. Like he'd remember me. Is he still located off Santa Fe Blvd? I buried an AR80 in the very back northwest corner of his lot back then and forgot about it. It was a Canadian model with green bodywork and a km/h speedometer. Could you see if it is still there? Not really. Have a good time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Looks like they are located on West Union which is off of Santa Fe. Ill tell him you said hi and see if that bike is still there for ya(needle in haystack?haha) Its a pretty dreary day in Colorado today. Hopefully the rain holds off for the rest of the afternoon.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
a) GS750 frames are cheap so it isn't worth it to straighten financially.
b) the frame construction is as such once bent it really will never be straight again. If you notice it is a lot of pressed metal and tubes spot welded together badly. You'll always be chasing cracks.
c) if you have the skills to make a frame jig, then presumably you have the skills to make a new frame. If that is the case then why not do a little research and then use the neck (and your existing title) to make something like a Bimota SB2 replica frame (the bimota SB2 used the GS 2 valve engine in a really good chassis:

View attachment 9343

View attachment 9344
Wow, that's one sexy frame.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
From what I can see in the images, I could straighten that frame just fine if I had to. Straightening frames is not rocket science.

But you don't have any jigs like I use and the OEM frame measurements.

I've never had a Jap, Brit or Harley frame crack during, or after straightening. Italian junk maybe.

Go find a straight frame with a legit title.

Danger, is my business.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
you must not have owned them long then.

I think the Brit frames cracked on their own without accidents. At least the OIF's did it by design.
Don't remind me of my disappointing foray with the OIF's. They would be great bikes, if they were great bikes. :rolleyes:

Danger, is my business.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts