Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 60 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
The angle grinder's been working overtime this weekend.
Spent yesterday morning drilling/grinding off the front mudguard mounting bolts, then giving it a bit of a clean up.
Finally got the swinging arm out today, thanks to the next door neighbour and a serious amount of cutting. It wasn't pretty but eventually done the job.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
The angle grinder's been working overtime this weekend.
Spent yesterday morning drilling/grinding off the front mudguard mounting bolts, then giving it a bit of a clean up.
Finally got the swinging arm out today, thanks to the next door neighbour and a serious amount of cutting. It wasn't pretty but eventually done the job.
Congrats... always a good feeling when you finally get the little bastard out. Good that the factory used (sacrificial) spacers in there, so the cost to cut it out is minimal.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Another 10 hours spent in the shed this weekend.
Finally got the sump drain plug out with a hammer and chisel.
Picked up more parts from the powder coater.
The rest of the time was spent cleaning up a few bis and bobs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Ah, nothing like pounding on a classic with a hammer and chisel. Really makes you feel like a craftsman doesn't it?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Wheels ready to go off to Anglia Wheels for fitting new chrome rims. Not 100% sure about the finish on the hubs, maybe a bit to blingy.
Cylinder head cleaned up okay, it would have been a lot quicker and easier to send it away for vapour blasting tho.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Bollocks....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Well if something had to go sideways, at least it’s probably the cheapest bit of casting on there and they are plentiful.

I’ve probably mentioned this in the past, but.....For things like the cylinder head, someday you should try some proper (if you can find it) industrial strength aircraft paint stripper. The stuff they sell at auto parts stores doesn’t do that great of a job. Just do it outside and avoid the fumes. It a pita, but the results are amazing if you find the right stuff. Did some disgusting Commando cases one time and afterwards you’d swear they were NOS. Doesn’t alter the surface finish in any way, so great for restoration work. I hate any blasting that alters the finish.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
One step forward two steps back.
I suggested to the owner that I'd take the frame to a reputable local powder coater, but he said his mate could stove enamel it for half the cost.
The frame was finished a couple of days ago and got to say the finish looks great. For some reason the guy who done the shot blasting thought it was a good idea to blast inside the frame.
I'd fitted the oil filter cover, dip stick and sealed up the oil line fittings to hopefully stop any media getting in but he decided to remove them before blasting. It'll be a pig of a job to sort out.
Picked up the wheels this morning, at least they turned out okay.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Took the primary cover off yesterday and found this, not good news.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Which suggests it was a split roller chain. Better to spend a little more and get a solid roller chain.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Which suggests it was a split roller chain. Better to spend a little more and get a solid roller chain.
Certainly looks that way Cyorg, seems to be easier said than done to confirm which brand of chain has soild rollers.
The Reynolds one is the most expensive, so that might be the one to go for.
Really not looking forward to removing the alternator and clutch.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Certainly looks that way Cyorg, seems to be easier said than done to confirm which brand of chain has soild rollers.
The Reynolds one is the most expensive, so that might be the one to go for.
Really not looking forward to removing the alternator and clutch.
Well if you lived closer you could borrow the box of Triumph tools I have. Years ago a fellow I know was at one time a triumph dealer. When he was getting out of it, I made the mistake of asking him how much he wanted for all the parts and tools. Although... sold most of the parts except things like followers with the “R” stamped into them and made a few $ plus kept the tools. Anyway.... I would try and either buy the chain from someone reputable who guarantees its solid roller, or be able to inspect it first. I recently bought some chain and based on the brand, assumed it was a safe bet. Not so.. I can still use it because the engine doesn’t produce enough power to pull the skin off a rice pudding.. just have to keep an eye on it and replace it sooner. Secondary drive to easy to inspect.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Well if you lived closer you could borrow the box of Triumph tools I have. Years ago a fellow I know was at one time a triumph dealer. When he was getting out of it, I made the mistake of asking him how much he wanted for all the parts and tools. Although... sold most of the parts except things like followers with the “R” stamped into them and made a few $ plus kept the tools. Anyway.... I would try and either buy the chain from someone reputable who guarantees its solid roller, or be able to inspect it first. I recently bought some chain and based on the brand, assumed it was a safe bet. Not so.. I can still use it because the engine doesn’t produce enough power to pull the skin off a rice pudding.. just have to keep an eye on it and replace it sooner. Secondary drive to easy to inspect.
Just spoke to FD Motorcycles in Gt Dunmow, he said the Reynolds chain is a solid roller and he sells it for £60, so I'll go for that.
You'd think it would be fairly straight forward to buy a new wiring harness. I ordered a 1974-78 one from ebay this week which turned up yesterday. Unfortunately a good few of the connections won't fit. Turns out I need one from 1973-74:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I made a start replacing the primary chain yesterday, looks like a new stator will also be needed.
Fitting new fork seals turned out to be a bit of a mission, weird thing was that the the oil in one fork came out fairly clean the other like yogurt.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
After a few attempts the new primary chain and stator are on.
The rotor/stator don't line up as you'd expect and just doen't look right, but appartently it's normal.
Also a bit of damage to the lower edge of the crankcase.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 72 Posts