Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm working on a cb650 I'll put up a project build soon. But I was wondering. I'm working on the rear hoop and trying to figure out the geometry I removed the shocks and moved them 100mm smaller from center to center on the mounting positions and the rear tire sits well past the frame.

So put on the shocks and tried to get it to bounce past doesn't seem like it will. And I'm not a small guy. The plan is to have a flat brat seat so I can ride 2 up and if I want to put on a hump it's an option.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Rear wheel travel listed 3.5 inches.
Sounds like you should be ok. But to do it right, you would remove the spring and compress the shock to the bump stop to be sure. Unless the spring binds before that, which would be silly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll have to look into how you remove these I'll be out there tonight some time probably I'm screwing with wiring cleaning that up

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Rear wheel travel listed 3.5 inches.
Sounds like you should be ok. But to do it right, you would remove the spring and compress the shock to the bump stop to be sure. Unless the spring binds before that, which would be silly.

What he said! That's also the only way you can test your shocks to see if they are any good,
or since they are stock shocks, how bad they are.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You will hate how it turns out with a long seat. It will look like a large popsicle stick. Take a piece of cardboard and cut out the size of the seat and put it on the frame. After you are done laughing you can then come up with a different idea

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
really easy if you have the stock rear fender or the seat support piece
a good rule of thumb is keep those clearances as they came from the factory
taking springs off can be fucking harrnful to your blood blisters and is not recomended without proper tool
they have some hellatious preload goddam japs love to preload the fook out of an oem shock spring on a 600 pound bike im sayin
one shock soft cam setting ratchet strap on the same side as shock heave ho observe when bumper is well crushed
3.5 inches of rear wheel travel would be a less than 3'' travel shock from stock i think that figure is wrong
most oems would go at least 3.5 at shock into bumper ,which is more like almost 4.5 at axle
so there

1 - 7 of 7 Posts