Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
She may not be fast, but she will be fun! I just picked up a 1979 Yamaha DT100 and I will be turning it into a cafe racer this winter. I am a father of three who is on a budget and will be doing this as much by myself and as cost effective as I can.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So here is why this is happening. The bike was given to me by a friend. I have not seen any DT100's turned into a cafe racer. I am have never been the type of guy who wants to be and look like anyone else. ;) As a father of three my days of setting out on day long rides is over and I need a bike to shoot around town on. I sold my custom Yamaha Warrior a few years ago due to family need and wants not mine! I miss riding and this is the way I can have a project to keep me sane over the winter and hit the road next Spring! Any questions? :) LOL

·
Registered
10,824 Posts
Such a cool bike, and so many cool things to do with it.

Turning into some bullshit café racer would be stupid

Reactions: monkey

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I have not seen any DT100's turned into a cafe racer. I am have never been the type of guy who wants to be and look like anyone else......
You didn't look very hard. Heck one of those abortions keeps showing up in the banner at the top of the page!!
https://www.google.com/search?q=yam...ved=0CAgQ_AUoAWoVChMI45_7qpjAyAIVR9NjCh32ugna

there's only one I the first page there that I would consider kind of cool, but it is a race bike, and probably has 10 times what the bike would ever be worth not it!

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I can't imagine there are a whole lot of sweet stock dt100s running around on the street.... just saying.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Caferacer for around town in Brunswick? I would leave it as it is for Maine. Your back country roads are great for a Larger displacement bike... 750 twin maybe.....

A 100cc two stroke as a "cafe racer" is just stupid. I would use it as it was intended, A trail bike.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
What is your friend from Oneonta's name? It is a small town and I have done school pics of everyone for 35 years.

Brunswick is nice. I want to go on the scooter and shrimp run that starts there sometime.

That bike would be fun on the back roads. A couple years ago I figured out a vintage ride route from Harpswell up to that fort by popham beach and back. My wife didn't get the job she applied for there so I never hosted the event, it would have been a great small bike ride.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
She may not be fast, but she will be fun! I just picked up a 1979 Yamaha DT100 and I will be turning it into a cafe racer this winter. I am a father of three who is on a budget and will be doing this as much by myself and as cost effective as I can.

So here is why this is happening. The bike was given to me by a friend. I have not seen any DT100's turned into a cafe racer. I am have never been the type of guy who wants to be and look like anyone else. ;) As a father of three my days of setting out on day long rides is over and I need a bike to shoot around town on. I sold my custom Yamaha Warrior a few years ago due to family need and wants not mine! I miss riding and this is the way I can have a project to keep me sane over the winter and hit the road next Spring! Any questions? :) LOL
My grandfather gave me a John Deere tractor that I'm going to make mine and build a one of a kind cafe racer for racing to the convenience store for cigs and beer. I haven't seen any tractor cafe racers before. I miss plowing the fields and this project will drive me insane. I don't smoke or drink right now, but I'm sure I will be driven to both with the plans I have in store for this tractor.

The above sounds as likely as turning a DT100 into a cafe racer. I wanted to quote misery before he deletes this thread also. Because you can doesn't mean you should.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Guess I should have said not many 8ball!!!! Wow this is a great forum to be a part of. Let me invite my friends to have as much fun as I have had in two days here. Sorry you cant think outside the box. Take care
I know your long gone and I'm a little late to the game but...........

Small yamaha enduro are great bikes with sometimes sticky clutches. Keep in mind that when you are finished........you would have to be the size of Miles Finch to really embrace the cafe feel and be prepared for a top speed of a "cafe" blinding 60 mph. Not really a racer just a style...........that's why your getting the flack.

If you've had this much fun in 2 days.....imagine 2 months. Good luck.

·
Banned
5,783 Posts
Thank goodness that we have all of you geniuses on here to let everybody how f'n smart you are and have never screwed anything up before. Hey Jag, how is that CB750F doing? You know, the one that was almost ready to go until you tore it apart to make it yours. Hey Marc, how is the cb400f with the CBR front end doing? The OP gave a reasonable explanation about what h wanted to do and why and yet all some of you want to do is remind him that he isn't all cool and shit like you are. Heaven forbid that anybody try and make a cafe bike out of an enduro.
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Of course, what do I know about doing stuff with old Yamaha enduros since I don't have any cafe bikes, just race bikes.
At least if he gets it running and finishes it he will have a bike to ride around on the streets, how about some of you. Hey Jag, have any bikes that run?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Ken, you have a million years of racing, riding, repairing, and general wrenching under your belt. You were racing on Honda CB400s with stone wheels against t-Rex's before anyone else. What you do is almost irrelevant because I'm pretty sure I could give you a pack of gum, a bent bicycle tire, and a broomstick and you would find a way to be mid pack in AHRMA formula 500. Are there enduro based race bikes? Yes. Are they a shit ton more work to build? Probably. Would I recommend the project as a starter project? No fucking way. I will say the guy on the can am I used to see at midohio is a badass.

why is it always the noobs who have never done this before that think they are going to "reinvent" the hobby? "Ive never seen this before, that must mean it's totally doable and a good idea and I don't misunderstand anything about what I am about to do....derp a derp".

I don't think I will ever understand the logic of it must be a good idea because I think it will be cheap. I got this bike for free, let me do the one thing to it that will also make it less fun to ride and doesn't play yo any of its strengths. Clear as mud.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Did I ever say I wanted to reinvent anything Geeto67. Man you guys are unbelievable. Just because you know too much about this topic you put someone down from wanting to create something. Sad state of affairs. I was here to look for help and sadly got nothing, but a bunch oh crap by a few narrow mined individuals. AIt is sad that you fail to realize that it is the bike that brings us all together not how many HP it has or by the tank badge. Funny thing it is all coming from "senior members". I guess a lot of posts doesnt mean much!

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
...because I'm pretty sure I could give you a pack of gum, a bent bicycle tire, and a broomstick and you would find a way to be mid pack in AHRMA formula 500.
That got me LOL'ing at work to the point my coworkers were looking a little nervous. I truly hope the AMA doesn't overlap Vintage Days 2016 as I need to buy both Geet and the fabulous Mr. Essex a beer at Mid-O.

There are people that have made neat bikes out of dual sports. There's an IT175 I've always thought was neat:

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Motor vehicle

Guy built his own tank, laced up some Excel 18" rims front and rear and generally did a nice job in my opinion.

Airtech did a nice body kit for the T125 stinger which is not technically a dual sport but I have seen a lot of them used as such and I'd bet a lot of those parts would transfer.

Looking at pictures of the dt100 - a RD125 tank would probably fit and a bumstop. Take a page from the IT175 build and graft on an RD250 front end, alloy rims and stainless spokes front and rear, fiberglass front fender. You'd probably have to build your own chamber and find someone good to do the porting.

Just wondering if you have this thing running properly now to get a baseline on if you are actually improving anything?

·
Registered
10,824 Posts
Hey Jag, have any bikes that run?
Only one legal bike to ride today.
Seeley runs, but isn't legal or ready to ride.
When the daily(1100F) broke I did the responsible thing....sold it an bought a bunch of broken Nortons....

Yep, my CB750F has long been a prime example of what not to do and full of fail.
Admitted to that a million times.

·
2,008 Posts
Did I ever say I wanted to reinvent anything Geeto67. Man you guys are unbelievable. Just because you know too much about this topic you put someone down from wanting to create something. Sad state of affairs. I was here to look for help and sadly got nothing, but a bunch oh crap by a few narrow mined individuals. AIt is sad that you fail to realize that it is the bike that brings us all together not how many HP it has or by the tank badge. Funny thing it is all coming from "senior members". I guess a lot of posts doesnt mean much!
While I may agree with you in principle, you need to also take a look at how things run at a place before getting your panties all in a bunch.

You came here. Not the other way around.

If you even spent 5 minutes here you would see that this is the modus operandi of this place. If you spent a couple days or weeks here you would also see that once you get through the initial trial by fire, the helpful members that may have originally criticized you may help you when they see you're serious.

I haven't been here long, but what I see is a bunch of guys very protective of their "passion." And instead of dumbing down the content with every drive by, wanna be bike builder, they have their own initiation ceremony to weed out people like you.

Just saying...

Hell, I caught shit for posting a Bard Pott link thinking some people would enjoy it rather than read this shit all day. I was shat upon, but I moved on. Who cares. It's the internet.

Post up if you want for yourself. Fuck the haters. If you really have a passion for it, do it. We'd like to see it.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts