Cafe Racer Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
All the cool kids are moving away from "café racers" and getting into "scramblers" anyway!

Style aside, I just think that people should play to a bikes strengths. A DT aint a strong road racer.

Ken, I would bet you put much thought into the rules and such before taking a DT racing.
You saw a way to be competitive with that bike in a class.
But had you stumbled across it and wanted something to ride to the store things would be different.
We do need to have a beer some day.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I just think its idiotic to take a neat little bike like that and destroy it for some stupid hipster bait crap that will never be that great.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
It's the bikes and the ideas we have that bring us together and I thought would help me here! Some of you need to remember that!

Since some of you don't know: "A café racer (/ˈkæf reɪsər/ KAF-ray-sər or less commonly /ˈkæfi ˌreɪsər/ KA-fi-RAY-sər) is a light-weight, lightly-powered motorcycle optimized for speed and handling rather than comfort — and optimized for quick rides over short distances."

·
Registered
865 Posts
I'm torn on this one. Kid wants to make it a little road bike, why not!? make sure the bike runs nice, oil pump works well (don't go premix). Don't expect to be stupid fast. And to be honest, it will be just as fast as a scrambler as it would be a "road bike".

I also agree with the others here from personal experience with small bikes, this thing would be funner in the long run as a scrambler. Hit back roads, rear rack for some storage, and best of all a seat where you could take a chick...

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
It's the bikes and the ideas we have that bring us together and I thought would help me here! Some of you need to remember that!

Since some of you don't know: "A café racer (/ˈkæf reɪsər/ KAF-ray-sər or less commonly /ˈkæfi ˌreɪsər/ KA-fi-RAY-sər) is a light-weight, lightly-powered motorcycle optimized for speed and handling rather than comfort — and optimized for quick rides over short distances."
Light-weight,lightly-powered makes it a cafe racer? That may be the whole problem if you think that's the definition of a cafe race bike. Where did you come up with that?

·
Registered
10,823 Posts

Just when I thought things would lighten up.....

Fuck off.
We don't need you to copy and paste some bullshit from Wiki.

We are not all here together for what you seem to value.

How about YOU remember that you came here and failed read anything.

Just go to dotheton and be happy.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Did I ever say I wanted to reinvent anything Geeto67. Man you guys are unbelievable. Just because you know too much about this topic you put someone down from wanting to create something. Sad state of affairs. I was here to look for help and sadly got nothing, but a bunch oh crap by a few narrow mined individuals. AIt is sad that you fail to realize that it is the bike that brings us all together not how many HP it has or by the tank badge. Funny thing it is all coming from "senior members". I guess a lot of posts doesnt mean much!

ALLRIGHT NEWBIE GUY..... I race a 70cc 2 stroke. The motor is fit into a Yamaha AT1 frame with Honda RS125 wheels and Aermacchi 250 racing suspension bits... you know what?.... Its awesome!!!

But the Frame was sourced from parts... not a running bike. You should save that bike cause its good...
Thats all I got. 3 of my bikes are running. Im building a new chassis for one ( that runs) and I am putting another one together so thats going to be 5 runners.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
Agree.

But Ken makes a good point.

Stones and glass houses.

More should lead by example.
Ken can say what he wants about my 400, but I don't see how it relates. It is NOT a bad platform for a cafe racer. I don't plan on doing any hipster mods to it like pods and brat seats, etcetera. My build is constrained by lack of funds. I've made improvements in handling with the CBR suspension and wheels and brakes, doing a 466 kit for performance boost. And I'll admit the 400 will go further on the back burner when the Triumph and KawaTon arrive. The Triumph moving to the forefront for completion so I can have a daily driver. I may actually have the 400 sold in the next week or so for a profit and am considering it to fund the Triumph.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
I'm not sure this kid would agree

View attachment 16495

I realize this is a TZ, but I recall seeing a pic of Randy a LONG time ago saddled up on a pretty stock looking DT100...I also realize this is a prime example of the exception to the rule.
Is it a TZ or a TA? The TZ came out in late 79 which would have made Randy 20. I doubt he was 20 in that pic. The TA125 preceded the TZ by 5 years which would have put him at 15 when it came out. Both the TZ and TA were factory race bikes. None were converted dirt bikes.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Is it a TZ or a TA? The TZ came out in late 79 which would have made Randy 20. I doubt he was 20 in that pic. The TA125 preceded the TZ by 5 years which would have put him at 15 when it came out. Both the TZ and TA were factory race bikes. None were converted dirt bikes.
Unable to find the photo I was looking for, I inserted this one, with a disclaimer that it was not a converted DT. It was dated from 75-76, so indeed it was a TA. My bad...

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
All the cool kids are moving away from "café racers" and getting into "scramblers" anyway!

Style aside, I just think that people should play to a bikes strengths. A DT aint a strong road racer.
I haven't gotten the scrambler bug yet so not ALL the cool kids are into scrambler yet. But if I did I would get the original and not try to make a Honda
Silverwing a "hip" scrambler.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motorcycle Fuel tank

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

One might look familiar

·
Banned
5,783 Posts
All you guys make me laugh, including the new guy. Cafe this and scrambler that !!! the point is to take a look at what you have and say" How can I improve this?" What is your vision, where are you at and what is the next small step you can take to make it better. So, if you are Monkey and have a bitchen 50cc 2 stroke laying around and the vision is to make it a super cool race bike what do you do? Take stock of where you are at and see what to do next. 1st next step make it bigger, ergo a 70cc topend. Next, it should go in a frame ergo an AT-1 frame ( God only knows why he chose that, I wouldn't have, but then again I didn't have one laying around), etc you get the picture.

Point being, what is your vision of what you want your DT100 to be? What is the current state? What can you do within the next week to get closer to your vision (here is a free hint: It does not involve taking anything except possibly the carb or the left crankcase cover off)? What are the obstacles that might get in your way?

This process is really easy and as you look at the next stepps it might involve asking specific intelligent questions.

Reactions: Geeto67

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
This will be my last post because this forum is clearly not what I thought it was. Yes, I have a vision (which obviously some of you lack) and ideas to make this MY bike not any of yours. If you go back on this post and my intro post, I was not allowed to make any specific intelligent questions before being attacked. I am no bike builder but a father of three who had to sell my first bike to support my family. I needed a project to keep me sane this winter and to get me back on two wheels after not having a bike for several years. Enough of my time has been wasted here, I have MY bike to build.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts