Cafe Racer Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
This will be my last post because this forum is clearly not what I thought it was. Yes, I have a vision (which obviously some of you lack) and ideas to make this MY bike not any of yours. If you go back on this post and my intro post, I was not allowed to make any specific intelligent questions before being attacked. I am no bike builder but a father of three who had to sell my first bike to support my family. I needed a project to keep me sane this winter and to get me back on two wheels after not having a bike for several years. Enough of my time has been wasted here, I have MY bike to build.
You are correct, your vision is clearly not what this forum is about. If you had reviewed this forum for a bit before posting you would have known that. I have no problem with you making your bike your own if you showed us what improvements you were making. I am going to do a real favor here and recommend a place where your vision will be excepted with open arms, its called DO THE TON CAFE RACERS

Come back when your badass cafe racer is complete and prove us all wrong.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
All you guys make me laugh, including the new guy. Cafe this and scrambler that !!! the point is to take a look at what you have and say" How can I improve this?" What is your vision
How can I improve this? That's the laughable part cause taking an old enduro and turning it into a cafe or swapping frames or doing whatever is not improving anything......maybe making it dangerous to an inexperienced person attempting such endeavors. Sound improvements to an old enduro are better tires, suspension, swingarm bearings, a gas tank etc. They also take well to porting and polishing work..............improving a dual sports inherent design and abilities.

Plus I feel his "vision" is purely cosmetic.

It sounds like a fun project to do with 3 sons. They will appreciate working with dad on something they can tangibly see. My daughter when she was little use to mask stuff off for me.........it was some of the best times

·
Banned
5,783 Posts
How can I improve this? That's the laughable part cause taking an old enduro and turning it into a cafe or swapping frames or doing whatever is not improving anything......maybe making it dangerous to an inexperienced person attempting such endeavors. Sound improvements to an old enduro are better tires, suspension, swingarm bearings, a gas tank etc. They also take well to porting and polishing work..............improving a dual sports inherent design and abilities.

Plus I feel his "vision" is purely cosmetic.

It sounds like a fun project to do with 3 sons. They will appreciate working with dad on something they can tangibly see. My daughter when she was little use to mask stuff off for me.........it was some of the best times
This seems like a silly perspective to be taking. Your whole justification for denigrating the OP's plan is because you have defined cafe racer in such a way that staring with a dual purpose bike doesn't match your paradigm. If I were the sympathetic sort (I am not), I would feel badly for you with such a limited view of the world., however, I will just mock the pathetic attempt at making youself feel superior at the expense of some anonymous soul on the interwebs. Nobody said anything about swapping frames. Monkey commented that he had used an enduro frame for his racebike, so I guess that makes modifying a DT100 dangerous. I do agree with you in that the changes you suggested would all be improvements for the DT100 if one was looking to use it only in the way that you have imagined it should be used. Would the bike also not be improved if a complete R5 front end, FZR rearsets, new swingarm bushings, Circle F down pipe, Tannermatic seat and Progressive suspension shocks along with Avon Am26 tires were all installed on the bike? Especially if the intended use was to have a small bore bike to ride around for short trips and personal entertainment.

Also, do you really believe there was much difference between the design of any of the early enduros and a comparable street bike from the same vintage and manufacturer? There isn't, they are pretty much just bolt on pieces. Did you know that honda made 2 MT125s at the same time? The MT125M is a street legal 2 stroke dual purpose bike and the MT125R is a purpose built 2 stroke roadracer, same basic frame and same basic engine. I don't think those bikes have any "inherent design and abilities" , they are just bikes. I guess Monkey violated the design and intent of that poor AT-1 he used the frame from to make a roadracer. The design and intent of that frame was to only be used for street and light trail duty. I also heard that back in the day some people actually raced motocross on the AT-1, crazy isn't it? Any idea what bike was the 1979 WERA National champion in the 410 Superbike class? It was a KTM enduro bike raced by my friend Alex Bub (you can google him) .
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motorcycle racer Track racing

Oh, look, it even has a cafe fairing on it. He must be a hipster wannabe!!!

Finally, how do you feel his vision is just cosmetic. He has made absolutely no statement regarding his vision, only his intent on how he is planning to use it. So your feelings appear to be another justification to state an opinion about somebody that has apparently rubbed you the wrong way. None of your objections to his proposal have any basis in objective reality and are instead founded on your ignorance and supposition. The history of club racing is fascinating, especially if you were there. What should I do about the XL500S I was racing in the early 80's? It must have been dangerous or stupid or something. I'll admit I never won a national championship on it, the best I finished on it was about 9th at the WERA GNF in 1983, but I saw something on the internets a few years back that had me listed as 6th (I still think it was 9th), but I did win a handful of regional championships on it. But enough about me, the older I get, the faster I was, just ask me.

I can't let the OP off the hook on this one. His pulling a definition of cafe racer off the interwebs and posting it here was also really silly. I am always amazed when people come on here and tell us what we should be, do for them or define what they want to think we are. My definition of a Cafe Racer is to take a bike and improve the performance and the look will take care of itself.

I am done now and want each and every one of you to have a truly wonderful and sparkly day filled with unicorns and rainbows. Shake off the yoke of a narrow perspective and gain the freedom of thinking outside the box.

Reactions: drgonzo

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I guess my comment was a little obtuse, but all I meant to imply was that I like dirtbikes for what they can do in the dirt.
I would improve that part if it were mine, and I see it as a shame to sacrifice the fun you could have offroad with it for the sake of making it "yours".
Since it's not, I would suggest making it a road legal version of whatever race bike you like. Have fun, be safe.

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
Ken

You are Grumpy.
This bike is more than a 50cc motor with a 70cc top end and a tail.

My only comment was that the guy shouldn't cut up a decent trail bike. go find a junker to screw around with.

Laterz
Yes AT1 frame is a strange one to go with.... however I took the advice of Frank Camilieri and went that direction. Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motorcycle racer Road racing
This is my favorite bike and has been ever since I put it together.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
I just spent like twenty minutes stalking your instagram. Always cool stuff.

Reactions: monkey

·
Banned
5,783 Posts
Monkey,
I am not grumpy, just bored with this site and the constant negativity to anything that doesn't match somebody's preconceived notion of what everybody else should be doing. Thanks for proving my point about your bike, I would take Fank's advice, too. Randy Illg at Framecrafters is my go to frame guy. I guess the AT-1 isn't too far off from being a good roadrace frame or a good MX frame from the era. It is amusing that some people have stated that it is ok to improve the dirtbike side of a bike but not go the other way in the dual purpose direction and maximize the road bike side. Why would that be? I also forgot ( I might know too much trivia) that Kawasaki raced their 350 Bighorn in the early roadrace nationals with Yvonne DuHamel and Gary Nixon (?). I'll bet Frank raced against them.

BTW, I know your bike is more than a moped engine stuffed in a dirtbike frame, but that is simply because you have experience, resources and a higher need. A DT100 with the changes I listed (note I shamelessly plugged getting a seat from you) would be a fun little street bike and for a beginning racer, could be put on the track.

Reactions: monkey and drgonzo

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
If I were the sympathetic sort (I am not), I would feel badly for you with such a limited view of the world., however, I will just mock the pathetic attempt at making youself feel superior at the expense of some anonymous soul on the interwebs.
Is that what you got from my post?

Go back and look at all my posts...........you will be hard pressed at finding a handful of post by me being negative to anyone. I rarely mock anyone here......I leave that up to all you old guard.

Limited view of the world?............you don't know a thing about me bitch. You do not know who I am, what I own, do or whatever.

I have never felt superior to anyone and learn constantly from everyone.......although I'm getting the feeling I'm surperior to you.

Mock me?.......... I remember how you bitched and moaned about WW........... what a condescending mutha

Truth be told I am always concerned about ones safety and that is mainly my thought process. I feel posts that emphasize safety are a paramount. Do I know his vision? I do not........but I don't believe it's your photo either. Most desire the look......nothing wrong with that. Forget function over asthetics....... I look at safety trumping both and comment accordingly. To be honest.........I feel that most new folks that desire "the look" are inexperienced and might put their lives in danger and that of others and comments made to them on this forum go in one ear and out the other. They mostly want justification for their build which since I've been here........usually for go function and safety for aesthetics. Consider this...........most Google "caferacer" and end up here. They have seen nice looking machines at their local meetup spots and are interested in such. I would honesty say most have limited experience with motorcycles (if any) and perhaps limited mechanical abilities but want to buy just about anything to cut up and turn it into their "vision". Perhaps this gentleman the OP is the same.......l know not. I just feel constructive criticism (not the go fuck yourself comments) might be in order........for their well being. If that makes me a short sighted, narrow minded person.........I welcome the title.

I do not know you either so forgive my harshness.

Perhaps one day we will meet. A couple of friends and I have been contemplating an adventure trip up through Canada to Alaska on our 650s. Currently it's just talk around some cold beverages but 2 of us are serious. I understand a lot of Alaskans get tired of the armada of tourists to their paradise but don't blame us........blame the History Channel for enticing us.

Good Day

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Monkey,
I am not grumpy, just bored with this site and the constant negativity to anything that doesn't match somebody's preconceived notion of what everybody else should be doing. Thanks for proving my point about your bike, I would take Fank's advice, too. Randy Illg at Framecrafters is my go to frame guy. I guess the AT-1 isn't too far off from being a good roadrace frame or a good MX frame from the era. It is amusing that some people have stated that it is ok to improve the dirtbike side of a bike but not go the other way in the dual purpose direction and maximize the road bike side. Why would that be? I also forgot ( I might know too much trivia) that Kawasaki raced their 350 Bighorn in the early roadrace nationals with Yvonne DuHamel and Gary Nixon (?). I'll bet Frank raced against them.

BTW, I know your bike is more than a moped engine stuffed in a dirtbike frame, but that is simply because you have experience, resources and a higher need. A DT100 with the changes I listed (note I shamelessly plugged getting a seat from you) would be a fun little street bike and for a beginning racer, could be put on the track.
Ken,

Just to add to your knowledge of trivia. Frank was the guy that built the frame for the Bighorn that Kevin Cameron campaigned in the 70s.

Craig

·
Banned
5,783 Posts
Thanks for the info Craig, now I know even more bike stuff. I am not surprised that Frank had a hand in that. He knows stuff, too.

·
Banned
5,783 Posts
Is that what you got from my post?

Go back and look at all my posts...........you will be hard pressed at finding a handful of post by me being negative to anyone. I rarely mock anyone here......I leave that up to all you old guard.

Limited view of the world?............you don't know a thing about me bitch. You do not know who I am, what I own, do or whatever.

I have never felt superior to anyone and learn constantly from everyone.......although I'm getting the feeling I'm surperior to you.

Mock me?.......... I remember how you bitched and moaned about WW........... what a condescending mutha

Truth be told I am always concerned about ones safety and that is mainly my thought process. I feel posts that emphasize safety are a paramount. Do I know his vision? I do not........but I don't believe it's your photo either. Most desire the look......nothing wrong with that. Forget function over asthetics....... I look at safety trumping both and comment accordingly. To be honest.........I feel that most new folks that desire "the look" are inexperienced and might put their lives in danger and that of others and comments made to them on this forum go in one ear and out the other. They mostly want justification for their build which since I've been here........usually for go function and safety for aesthetics. Consider this...........most Google "caferacer" and end up here. They have seen nice looking machines at their local meetup spots and are interested in such. I would honesty say most have limited experience with motorcycles (if any) and perhaps limited mechanical abilities but want to buy just about anything to cut up and turn it into their "vision". Perhaps this gentleman the OP is the same.......l know not. I just feel constructive criticism (not the go fuck yourself comments) might be in order........for their well being. If that makes me a short sighted, narrow minded person.........I welcome the title.

I do not know you either so forgive my harshness.

Perhaps one day we will meet. A couple of friends and I have been contemplating an adventure trip up through Canada to Alaska on our 650s. Currently it's just talk around some cold beverages but 2 of us are serious. I understand a lot of Alaskans get tired of the armada of tourists to their paradise but don't blame us........blame the History Channel for enticing us.

Good Day
Good day to you, too. We probably should have a beer or two, it would be fun. As far as riding to Alaska, come on up the trip is one that everybody should do once, at least. But, you won't be riding to my house since I am 250 miles from the road system. But get to Fairbanks and take a side trip and fly on out it is only an hour flight. I am right on the Yukon River. You are welcome any time.

BTW, nice job on the rant! Did it make you feel better to vent? I generally feel pretty good after one of mine as the silliness just makes me laugh. I haven't been called a bitch in quite some time. It amused me. And the main reason I got all over WW was because he gave bad advice and wouldn't back anything up with facts about who he was and what he had done. Me? I am a freaking open book when it comes to who I am( I am not even smart enough to not use my name) and I post pictures of my junk racebikes all the time.

so, have a sparkly day and keep having fun.

Reactions: jaguar and drgonzo

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Did it make you feel better to vent?
No....it didn't make me feel better...........it made me feel like a fool.

My entire life I've always had an emotional initial response to stuff and it has never served me well. My apologies for letting the angry emotional side get the better of me. I don't believe in deleting posts because what is said sometimes one has to live with...............but I felt like deleting mine this time.

Yea we have been getting enticed with all the Alaska shows on TV. They make it all seem so inviting and adventurous that it's hard not to get hooked.....especially for a lot of dual sport folks. So we have been "rag chewing" the idea and like I said before.....a couple of us are serious. I have an old DR650 that I've put some miles on that were the funnest in my life on 2 wheels so the thought of a trip to the last frontier seems ideal. 250 miles from main roads seems like nice living. Good for you to make it up there.........I wish I had the guts to do that but this cushy city life has made me a sissy.

Good Day

41 - 60 of 60 Posts