Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's the E series. I bought the original tank on ebay last night as well. Bike doesn't run, will be doing carbs tomorrow to see if I can get some life into it!

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
Oh my :| hopefully it included a basket of parts?
The tires would imply the P.O. was attempting to create a humongous dirt tracker, in which case they might as well have discarded the front brakes completely. Or more likely a bobber chop, in which case putting money into new lug tires was a dumb idea before they had a running motor. What are you hoping to do with it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
First bike! Its mainly for the project side of things, I just went through a separation and wanted something to focus on.

I would like to see where the original tank settles down, hopefully I wont have to do frame work to have a lower profile seat look nice... straight lines on café racers inspired me, I would like to see a clean line from the bottom of the tank to the tail, but if that's not possible I can deal. will be getting lighter tires for sure..

going to powder the frame in the coming weeks once I figure out if I need to mod it at all.

·
Registered
5,608 Posts
... hopefully I wont have to do frame work to have a lower profile seat look nice... straight lines on café racers inspired me, I would like to see a clean line from the bottom of the tank to the tail, but if that's not possible I can deal. will be getting lighter tires for sure..

going to powder the frame in the coming weeks once I figure out if I need to mod it at all.
I can tell you right now; this is maybe not the best place to find assistance with creating a riderless indoor art project out of scrap motorcycle parts and putting expensive paint on an unimpressive chopped up frame before you even have a complete and running motor will be considered to be a totally stupid idea by any real motorcycle rider. If you can't get it running then this is a good place to ask for technical assistance.

Sorry to hear of your recent separation :I would highly recommend you get yourself a dog, that will give you company, keep you occupied and dogs are extremely faithful to their master.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Like Trials said, get that engine going first, everything else is pointless if the thing cant go down the road under its own power

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can tell you right now; this is maybe not the best place to find assistance with creating a riderless indoor art project out of scrap motorcycle parts and putting expensive paint on an unimpressive chopped up frame before you even have a complete and running motor will be considered to be a totally stupid idea by any real motorcycle rider. If you can't get it running then this is a good place to ask for technical assistance.

Sorry to hear of your recent separation :I would highly recommend you get yourself a dog, that will give you company, keep you occupied and dogs are extremely faithful to their master.
True! but as I said above, tomorrow will be the test, obviously future plans get dampened with bumps in the road. hopefully tomorrow night I will have it running.

·
Registered
23,295 Posts
It's the E series. I bought the original tank on ebay last night as well. Bike doesn't run, will be doing carbs tomorrow to see if I can get some life into it!
NOPE, that's a 1979 GS750L - the 16" rear wheel and leading axle front forks are a dead give away. It's fitting that you bought the proper GS750L tank for it too even if it didn't come with it.

The good news is that aside from the rear wheel, there isn't much different than the GS750E.

·
Registered
23,295 Posts
Fwiw, I would finish the street tracker project someone else started with it and have something like this (and yes I know this is a cb750 and yours is a GS but there aren't a lot of I4 street trackers around):

IMGP3155-L.jpg

A laguna style tail, a headlight/numberplate setup, a small mudgaurd attached to a big fork brace, and those slideaway bars. call it a day and send it!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NOPE, that's a 1979 GS750L - the 16" rear wheel and leading axle front forks are a dead give away. It's fitting that you bought the proper GS750L tank for it too even if it didn't come with it.

The good news is that aside from the rear wheel, there isn't much different than the GS750E.
titles can be wrong I suppose. good to know.

·
Registered
23,295 Posts
titles can be wrong I suppose. good to know.
Yes they can. many states in that time period still registered by the engine number, some of them even titled by when the bike was sold new (so a left over 1979 could be titled as a 1980 if it was sold in 1980). It wasn't until 1981 that the NHTSA standardized VIN's into the 17 digit format and the title to reflect manufactured model year and the VIN on the frame of the vehicle (many bikes weren't even manufactured with a frame VIN until 1971 - harleys, some british bikes, some europeans, etc).

I would check what number your title matches - the frame or the engine. If it is the frame, then someone just misstated the model on the title when it was issued. If it is the engine then well...you can put that engine in any frame you want and have a titled bike. I cant' remember if it was suzuki or honda but one of them used to put an E in every engine number to signify engine number. Super Fun fact: your engine number and Frame number don't match and wouldn't match from the factory, there was no requirement that they match until sometime in the mid 1980's.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts