Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day
I'm starting my first custom bike build and thought it would be a good idea to log the progress on here.
I got a stock 1980 cb400 hawk for $500 AUD. My plan it to do a bit of frame fabrication and powder coating,
Change the mags to spoked wheels. Lower the forks and change the tank to a cb750 four tank that I have.
Also custom levers, rear sets, gauges, lights, coils.
I'm just after a bit of advise as to where a good place to source custom parts from.
Also what model Honda spoked wheels should fit onto a 1980cb400
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

This is what I'm aiming for roughly
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Thanks

·
Registered
573 Posts
You can aim at those things all you want but you are going to have a hard time hitting them with a 1980 CB400. The easy answer to your spoked wheel question is actually so easy that it proves you have no idea where to start, and maybe shouldn't have taken the bike apart until you got a plan.

1981_CM400E.jpg

The CM400 had spoked wheel versions with drum brakes, perfect for that cafe racer look. If you want a disc up front it is harder but can be done. Use the hub from a DOHC CB750K or similar year CB650, but those both had 19" front wheels, which will make your bike sit like a chopper, so you need to get an 18" rim laced up.

Also, go back and read the posts meant for newbies. This is not a forum where we play dress up with old bikes, and you are going to get nothing but grief for trying to build a stereotypical hipster version of a cafe racer out of a 1980s commuter bike. All I can say is at least you are not starting with a CX500. You should budget for a pair of round slide carbs to replace the factory CVs the CB400 came with stock, as they won't run worth a damn with anything but the stock air box, with stock filter and a restrictive muffler.

And just to blow your mind, here is mine

Venice-pc-one-1.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea that's pretty bloody wild mate!
Thanks for the info, I'd prefer disc brake set up so I'll look into that.
yea obviously I'm just starting out and don't know a lot, kind of why I pulled the bike apart, to figure out how it all works and where shit goes.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Yea that's pretty bloody wild mate!
Thanks for the info, I'd prefer disc brake set up so I'll look into that.
yea obviously I'm just starting out and don't know a lot, kind of why I pulled the bike apart, to figure out how it all works and where shit goes.
You could have done that without taking it apart, with a greater chance of some success.

+ everything already said and a nod to what may come after.

Make it reliable, ridable and comfortable. Then make it pretty. But please, for your own sake, skip the skateboard saddle...ride it for a while, then figure out what's what.

Oh. No one is likely to make bolt on anything for this bike.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
You have already made every possible noob mistake you can make. Just throw it in a dumpster and start over, it's where it is going to end up anyway.

your inspiration pics are garbage too. Those are some unrideable pieces of shit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings Karlos and forum members!
Karlos,thanks for asking i appreciate the feedback! I'm glad i found this in time. I'm looking for a bike to commute to work. Would you guys recommend this bike at all for a first timer?
If so what mods would you recommend to improve?
Thank you for your time!

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Karlos,thanks for asking i appreciate the feedback! I'm glad i found this in time. I'm looking for a bike to commute to work. Would you guys recommend this bike at all for a first timer?
Thank you for your time!
Dude!
Karlos posted twice in 2015 and never returned.
Pretty sure he never successfully finished his slammed chopper,
and no that is a terrible bike to put tons of money and time into.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Thank you for your time!
Buy a modern bike. Old bikes bring old bike problems.

·
Registered
88 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts