Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I'm fairly new at all this, but I've been lurking around for a while.

My querry is this:

The CB650. Good, Bad, Ugly? I've read that it had attrocious electrical problems, mostly relating to the charging system malfunctioning in the stator area. Anyone know a fix, such as swapping for a different component or modding the existing?

Also, I've read that this bike is very similar to the CB500/550. If this is the case, would that mean some of the Café accesories that fit the 5's fit the 650? If not, then it would just mean modding or fabricating stuff but that can get pricey, and I'm just a poor college student looking for a cheap bike to café.

The reason I'm asking is because someone in my area is selling one for 800$ and that's pretty much right in my price range :)

Any other info or tips about the 650 would be much appreciated, as I'm quite the noob.

Thanks a lot,

Trevor

Road Trip!

Edited by - trefmawr on Feb 28 2006 02:43:56 AM

·
Registered
896 Posts
buy a 500 or 550 for that price and have something that will last you and be more desirible down the road.....personally not a fan or the 650....

Ride Fast and Take Chances

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
The cb650 is a good solid UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) and could be good cafe fodder but I think you are a little misplaced in your thinking about it.

the only thing a cb650 shares with a cb500/550 is the engine mounts. This makes the 650 engine popular to swap into the older 500/550 frames because the 650 made just shy of 50 hp (I think it is like 45) whereas some of the 500s were lucky to crack 30hp. Everything else from a 650 will not interchange with a 500/550 (well maybe the wheels) so don't assume that things for the cb500/550 will work on the redesigned frame.

$800 is a good price for a cb650 that is very clean (original paint in shiney shape, bike runs mint, no rust, etc...), the high end on a cb650 is $1200. But they are not as popular as cb750s and therefore would be harder to sell when the time came.

This is a great resource page for the cb650 if you want to read:
http://home.wi.rr.com/kgebauer/cb650c.htm

AS far as cafe parts, Clip ons and clubamns can be acquired for any bike. The biggest problem you will have is the seat area. The cb650 has a dropped rail frame, not a straight back frame like the cb500/550. this means your choices for cafe seats are limited. The cheapest way is probably having the stock seat reupolstered with a tail hump like an old triumph proddy racer or a bsa. YOu are also stuck with that uncafe racer looking chopper tank, but you might be able to find a tank off another to fit. Rearsets you are on your own but they are not hard to make, I make mine out of old sportbike rearsets and home depot hardware (ok I'm a little more high tech these days but I used to).

overall the cb650 is a good bike if you throw a set of superbike bend bars on it and just ride the piss out of it, but as far as a full on fairing cafe racer is concerned you are probably better with a cb750.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see. Thanks very much for the info. I know I'd obviously want a 550 or 750, but due to where I live, the selection is quite limited. I've only seen a couple 750's and they were snatched before I could dial their number.

The only thing I'm really worried about it that electrical problem that people claim. I'm a fairly new rider and wouldn't want that happening.

Oh well, I have a couple months before riding season to dwell on it, just kinda want something to work on until then.

Damn you Canadian Customs!

-------------
Le Canuck

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
If you are ever in NY come see me....I get cb750s thrown at me, literally. I actually have a cb650 coming in to the shop if you want it gimmie $150 and pay the shipping and she's yours. No idea as to condition but I imagine it has been sitting a loooong time.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
God if only I could. You see the Canadian border has some pretty messed up laws and terifs concerning bringing vehicles from other countries over the border. Basically it boilds down to this:

If it's from overseas it has to be 15 years old from it's manufacture date. No exceptions.

If it's from the US, then it has to have been made or proven safe by a manufaturer in Canada.

All vehicles are taxed $209 upon entry, plus additional border crossing teriffs (like an extra 100$ if it's got a/c) and documentation of title, bill of sale, and proof that it's a legal vehicle for import into Canada must be presented 72 hours prion to arriving at the border.

For more legal fun and games, you can visit the Registry of Imported Vehicles website: http://www.riv.ca/

But yeah, man would it be nice if I could get bikes without a huge hassle from the US. So much to choose from etc. Just have to drive a little. Bring a pickup and you're set. *sigh*

-------------
Le Canuck

Edited by - trefmawr on Mar 01 2006 02:42:29 AM

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Tref, not to belittle the situation for you, and maybe I'm missing something here, but... I don't see where it's a big deal. They give you all the info you need on that website, and the bikes that you'd be interested in bringing back are almost certainly on the list, and I don't imagine they'd command a high tax rate. It may look daunting, but it's really only a couple more steps than going to your local motor vehicle registration office. (I know most people don't enjoy the trip to the state office to register a vehicle, I kind of enjoy it, making them jump through their own hoops, as it were...)
I recently had a customer do this with a new car, and they said it was pretty straightforward, pay the money, drive away. They did have to leave the car at the border for 72 hours, but it was safe.
All I'm saying is, YOU CAN DO IT!

FR

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah after reading through it again (they changed it since I last looked) it doesn't seem as bad. The bad thing I was thinking of was if you import overseas. That brings a few more issues. Haha oh well, thanks for the bid of confidence. I'm just young and stupid, is all. Now all I need is a truck.

That being said, who's got some nice bikes up for sale? :D

-------------
Le Canuck

·
Registered
896 Posts
i always have a project going and i can find bikes....i can also build you one if your interested....and Vermont is a lot closer then NYC....no offense, as i did spend a majority of my youth growing up in NYC.....

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm more looking for stuff in the N Dakota, S Dakota, Minnesota, Nebraska, Iowa area. I live in Winnipeg Manitoba, and driving down to NY and Vermont and places like that starts getting really costly with gas.

Basically I'm looking for a Honda or Suzuki, 500-750cc and cheap. Haha junkyard budget pretty much. The stuff I've seen go through the For Sale section is pretty much right down my lane, so I'll be keeping my eyes peeled.

Thanks a lot for your help!

-------------
Le Canuck

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
tref,

there is always a lot of bikes for sale on ebay from iowa. hell, there are some iowa boys that lurk on this site. hey iowa, how about selling tref a bike?

tex "who lives in pennsylvania" mawby

·
Registered
896 Posts
there is a builder here from wisconson.....hey matt where are you this guy needs a bike....

wot? no bike???

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
$304.01 when i checked with 10 hours to go......will our man tref win the bike so he can begin terrorizing the backroads of manitoba? will he find the pickup, van, or wheelbarrow he needs to transport this beautie past the canadian/us border? will the autocrats of canadian customs give him a hard time and make him pay mundo VAT?

tune in later cafetypes to the harrowing adventures of ebay, tref and his quest for a vintage scoot!

tex

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
oh my god what a turd that thing is.

you better have a really nice van.....

jc

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=4616530898&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

See this is what I'm talking about. Now I've got 24 hours to find a truck, or something with a trailer hitch.

Wish me luck?

-------------
Le Canuck
I have a personal rule, Never buy a bike you haven't looked at in person.

With T500s and GT500s I recommend you actually look at the bike before you buy it. Seriously. Although the bike is stone simple to work on, the big thing that goes wrong with them if they have been sitting is crank seals. The T/GT smokes so little as a two stroker that usually when there is a problem, guys with other brand two strokes think nothing is wrong. With every T500/GT bought sight unseen, expect that you will have to crack the cases and redo the outer crank seals (not at hard job but you will have to outsource rebuilding the crank - I got a good guy and he does it for about $150).

If you get it, make sure there is oil in the transmission (1400cc) and the oil tank and fire it up. If it blows smoke like you are spraying for misquitoes then you gotta do crank seals, if it blows so little smoke that it makes you nervous, perfect.

Also make sure the clutch is not in when you fire it up for the first time as you will need to prime the oil system.

Other than that it looks like a good solid project.

If anybody closer to NY wants a similar one in black, I got a freind with one in running condition as well.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
sold at $457.00 and tref is..........................................

probably still looking for a vintage scoot.

come on cafe-ers, let's find a ride for our northern bound friend!

tex

p.s.- tref, you wanna come down to philly, i can hook you with an assortment of weird stuff (1975 yamaha dt175 (3), 1969 bridgestone 175 and 200, 1967 gilera 106, 1974 benelli 250ss, 1988 yamaha fz600, 1991 honda vfr 750, 1975 honda cb450, 1989 honda rs125 gp bike.......it all must GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts