Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 60 of 722 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #42

I wanted to lower my tachometer so it does not sit so high.
1. Rethinking how to drop the height
2. Quick mock-up
3. Back to Illustrator to get the measurements even
4. Cut out the parts now welding them up. Decided to weld the 90° angles instead of bending them to get a cleaner angle. (my welding is getting better, if I could just see the work under the helmet better!)

Bracket welded, sanded and ready for installation
1. Back View
2. Side view
3. Top view
4. Checking clearance

Mounting it to the bike and I see a problem right away.

1. Clears the gauge fine
2. Back fits well
3. Now come the error I made it to low
4. I looks low too, but the real problem is the clutch cable routing in impeded.

Just more angles

Time to rethink the bracket. Hmmmmm

I also did not like the flat bracket alining with the curved tach, so here is my solution

1. Curved the bracket and made it only drop 1.1" (instead of 2") to aline with the chrome tach bucket
2. Back view
3. Mounted up
4. Much cleaner and visually more appealing.

Now fab up an new one.

See how the one on the left visually looks a lot better with the bracket matching the tach body?
and only dropping it 1.1" it will give the clutch cable a routing path and again just look better.

Ready to make the one out of steel.

If the cardboard one works so will the steel one.

1. Card board mock-up fits great
2. Cutting out the shapes
3. I use 3M 77 spray mount to glue on the paper templates, I remove them with brake cleaner
4. All parts but the sides cut and ready to weld
5. My welding is improving, I got FULL penetration this evening (LOL)
6. Rough grinding done checking fit
7. So much better than the boxy one before
8. Now the tach sits at the same height of the key switch
9. Clutch cable now has room to flow in the correct path.

I will weld the sides on tonight or tomorrow, It is date night you know! Take your mate on a date!

Finished the Tachometer Bracket.

1. Cutting out the sides
2. After beveling and bending the side to fit I welded it into place.
3. Tools of the fabrication
4. The finished bracket and the carb board comp
5. Checking the fit
6. Fits great
7. Right side of the bracket
8. Love the curve of the bracket against the tachometer
9. Now the bracket will not be able to get hairline cracks and fail do to the side supports.

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Time to redue the seat pan.
The first one did not take in to account the need for a rear tire clearance

1. The first seat pan was to short to accommodate the battery and had clearance issues.
2. Removed all the wires and I am starring over
3. Need to fit all these parts
4. Geting a tight formed fit
5. Basic shape made
6. Locating the part tag need to fit and gluing tighter fitting sides to get that tight water proof fit.

This pan will be welded to the frame.

The back tail section I am still working on the shape.

New Seat Pan

1. Removing the old seat pan.
2. The parts removed
3. Ready to start over
4. Making the cardboard template
5. After trimming and adding a few bits it fits.
6. Laying out the parts.

1. New, longer and tighter fitting seat pan.
2. Now it has the clearance needed.
3. The rear of the seat pan where the battery will go was cut to be larger than needed, Once I figure out the shape of the rear tail I will have enough metal to cut it to the size needed.

The battery in the first photo set is the one I will be using. The red one is the test battery

On the final build I will tame the wires a little more.

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #44

Taking my bike to a friends shop. He is going to help me make the tail section. He is a custom bike/hot rod builder. He is actually going to teach me.

Was going to just ride the bike to his shop, Then reality struck... how would I get back home?

Dropping it off at the shop.

Items needing to be done with Tyler

[ ] Clean up rear set tabs
[ ] Make rear tail of bike with taillight integrated
[ ] Battery holder with rubber spacer
[ ] Weld on bottom seat pan back only
[ ] Make seat pan attach covering?
[ ] Extent exhaust(add mounting points)
[ ] Weld bracket for rear of tank
[ ] Weld in new gas cap
[ ] Modify a shifter lever (move back)
[ ] Bend Side Stand a touch?
[ ] Make radiator over flow bottle
[ ] Weld around tank mount studs
[ ] License plate bracket
[ ] Rear blinkers placement
[ ] Clean up frame tab welding leftovers

Cheers
Mike

- - - Updated - - -

Time to do the speedometer

1. To take apart the speedo just takes time and patients. Just go slowly not to damage the ring so you can put it back on.
2. Just enough to get it off
3. I wet sanded off all the old paint.
4. I had two speedo plates one was green the other was clear, I decide to use the green one so it would still have the original green glow. The clear one did had green paint but it came of with the sanding.
5. Painted the face of the speedo with white flat paint.
6. I designed the face on the computer then cut it out on vinyl.
7. I used 3 colors, black, red & silver.
8. The red layer ready to apply the transfer tape.
9. Black layer cut and weeded.
10. The black layer transferred to the tape.
11. Black layer applied
12. The silver layer applied. Had to be so careful to get the circles to aline!
13. Red layer applied, this took a bit of time to get them lined up and centered.
14. Then I sprayed 4 layers of clear coat, so the stickers would never come off. Also love how it has dimension.
15. Final Speedo!
16. How it will look at night, Love the green glow!

And that is how I make a speedo, I research just printing it out but no cost effective ink printer would be long lasting. But the vinyl will last a very long time.

Notice on photo 9 the very small centers of some of the letters are not there, They are to small to stick to the backing paper so I kept them then applied them to the final speedo face, would have been much easier with 20 year younger eyes. I think I need reading glasses or a magnifying glass.

I had to redesign the face due to the vinyl cutter limits. Making the CX500RR bigger and moving it to the bottom allowed the very small "RR's" to work. Also the small circles in the original were to small, It is close but different.

The old mock up. The problems with this design

The bottom words are not possible " Nippon Seki"
The top Honda logo was also too small
Even the big rev number were too thin

I know most people would never even know the difference. But fun to see the differences, Right? Or once more I over share. Hahaha

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #45

We got the shifter figured out and made. It is a very tight fit but it works. I did not want the bulk of it on outside of the exhaust.

Pipes figured out now to make the right side match, We did the left side first because it had more things to go around.

Another angle of the muffler mounting

It is hard to show the line of the muffler but they kind of flare outwards from the bike.

Showing how the pipe routes around the rear set.

Better angle of the flaring mufflers.

Last one the side view.

The mufflers are now complete. And the sound is awesome!!!

The rear view of the matching mufflers.

Other View

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I added baffles inside the mid pipes, With out the baffles is was WAY to loud! So loud that is made riding the bike uncomfortable. But with the baffles the noise I would say twice that of stock pipes. Very deep throaty tones.

The mid point is where the baffle was welded inside.

Rear Battery Tray Holder

Rear tank mount finished, Used the original mount just angle up more and the tank mount was cut and angled too.

The beings of the modified gas tank CBR600RR cap it is going to take some work but will be sweet when done.

Cheers
MIke

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
So there you have it 8 months of work, On the other form the build takes 35 pages due to problems I had and the solutions and form members comments.

I will keep posting as the build continues.

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Welcome.

How are you looking to improve your bike? Any inspiration?

Never really liked the CX but I don't really see them as a basis for a race bike either... over here (UK) they sell kits with bolt on pieces to turn your CX into something 'special' (i wanna be special daddy, just like eeeeveryone else!)

isn't that the 'custom' version?

UK CX Kits.. CX 500 Donor Bike - Cafe Racer Kits
No prefab kits for me thanks. I do not want a bike like anybody else. I know most people do not like the CX500 platform, But I also do not want a bike just like everybody else.

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
ugh, another cx500.

Still, if you are looking for someone to say "wow, what a great platform" or "wow, what great work" prepare to be underwhelmed. I honestly can't fathom putting that much time into the maggot at all (yes the nickname for the cx500 is the maggot - ask any englishman).
Hey Geeto67, Piss Off Mate!

I did not ask for your blessing, nor would I want it.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
It is so nice to see someone actually mock up whatever they're doing, it shows a lot of skill and thought going into what you're doing. So many builders just cut stuff off and add things without any planning.
ed

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Hey Geeto67, Piss Off Mate!

I did not ask for your blessing, nor would I want it.
I ain't your mate. but I gave you fair warning about this place. It's a pretty big assumption on your part that people would be happy to see a cx500 or share what your definition of a cafe racer is (hint: no and no). That being said good work is always appreciated and while the platform is utter shit your work isn't in the slightest (there I paid you a compliment, be happy they are rare around here). Honestly I would like to see how this thing comes out because this is probably the first time I have ever seen this level of workmanship on a cx500 (and I probably won't see it again).

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Is there a reason you chose the cx over a guzzi? I'm just thinking you have about as much into a turd as you would have into a sweet platform. That said...the workmanship is excellent.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Is there a reason you chose the cx over a guzzi? I'm just thinking you have about as much into a turd as you would have into a sweet platform. That said...the workmanship is excellent.
I like the way it looks, no other reason. (One mans turd another mans polished turd I guess.)

But, It really does not matter to me what anybody else thinks about it. It is my first build, so lessoned learned,
I should have followed the masses and bought a CB750. (sarcasm).

I am new to the cafe racer scene so how would I know my bike would never up to the standards with the cool kids.

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Naw not a 750 and I respect the response. Normally ppl in your situation find a cheap pos cx because it was cheap and available and then defend it like it's the best bike ever bc they can't admit it was a dumb buy. If you intentionally bought one then good on you. Not my style but who cares. It's not really a bike ppl who know what they are doing will be drawn too is all.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Nice tidy work - I don't think I've ever seen anymore pour this much love into a CX.

Just a little tip from someone who's done a bunch of switchgear swaps and wiring extensions over the years - if you stagger the joins along the length of the cables you will end up with a much neater result. And your loom will look less like a snake that's just swallowed a golf ball.

Keep up the good work - even if the bike isn't an ideal starting platform it's looking pretty good.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Yes you can be proud of what you are doing.
I picked up a GL 500 and I'm trying to turn it from a plastic maggot into something that appears a little more pleasing at least to my eye. I have no illusions about what it will be when it's done. I chose it because it was cheap and there wasn't a Le Mans available that fit my budget. There are a lot of bikes that would make a better base, but this will do and give me something to ride until the right one materializes. Keep up the great work.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
I will give you the same advice I give to all CX500 and CB/CM400 builders. Please do something about the frame tubes which curve from the swingarm pivot to the top shock mount area. It should be straight and running at a better angle. I usually feel like I am wasting my time with this request, but you actually appear to have the skill and understanding to accomplish this modification.

·
Registered
477 Posts
It's interesting to see someone taking on a project that isn't considered easy or a good platform to start with, especially someone who seems to know what they are doing.
Good work so far, keep us posted!

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I will give you the same advice I give to all CX500 and CB/CM400 builders. Please do something about the frame tubes which curve from the swingarm pivot to the top shock mount area. It should be straight and running at a better angle. I usually feel like I am wasting my time with this request, but you actually appear to have the skill and understanding to accomplish this modification.
Good advice. It just looks wrong in it's stock form. My GL500I frame came from the factory with straight tubes between those two points, which definitely looks more civilized. The only problem is that they added two large disgusting stamped steel abortions that go from the swingarm pivot to the backbone on either side. Low production cost, but good lord they're ugly.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Nice tidy work - I don't think I've ever seen anymore pour this much love into a CX.

Just a little tip from someone who's done a bunch of switchgear swaps and wiring extensions over the years - if you stagger the joins along the length of the cables you will end up with a much neater result. And your loom will look less like a snake that's just swallowed a golf ball.

Keep up the good work - even if the bike isn't an ideal starting platform it's looking pretty good.

Thanks for input, now that you mention it is seams odd the way I did it.

Thanks
Mike

41 - 60 of 722 Posts