Cafe Racer Forum banner

161 - 166 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Just to be clear...
the people that know are not me. They are the people that manufactured the cams and sold them to you. Use them!
You learn much faster and more effectively if you build on the information and recommendations from others rather than insist there is another way.
Do it the proven way then make changes once you have a baseline of knowledge and a modicum of experience.

Wow, nice to see you all are just as salty as ever. Always great reading your replies. However, "people that know" were once as ignorant as i seem to be...but hey, don't really care if i've insulted anyone. Like I said, just trying to learn.

I'll include pictures for ya next time...

View attachment 103797
Or do it your way and keeps us informed and entertained...
Who knows, you might end up there eventually.

·
Banned
258 Posts
Alternatively you could possibly use a borescope or fibre optic endoscope to visually inspect inside the assembled engine, but that would prove very expensive if you don't have somebody in the optics related industry.
I have a 15 quid borescope from ebay.
Does the job perfectly.

To the op, get some soft wax in there and make sure you have clearance (or get on ebay and buy a 15 quid bore scope so you can watch the valve to piston clearance)
Once confirmed get building that engine

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
You have to admire anyone building a CB900 overweight turd into a race bike, even the factory had loads of problems with them in the late 80's :cool: (the big bore 750 with shorter stroke was better as a 998cc motor)

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Just to be clear...
the people that know are not me. They are the people that manufactured the cams and sold them to you. Use them!
You learn much faster and more effectively if you build on the information and recommendations from others rather than insist there is another way.
Do it the proven way then make changes once you have a baseline of knowledge and a modicum of experience.

Or do it your way and keeps us informed and entertained...
Who knows, you might end up there eventually.
well, i tried until i failed. went to the "wax" approach to verify enough clearance. here's my attempt at using the dial, but there was no good angle.

However, i still believe there's a mathematical way to determine P-V clearance without the camshaft installed. Hypothesis at this point.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
You have to admire anyone building a CB900 overweight turd into a race bike, even the factory had loads of problems with them in the late 80's :cool: (the big bore 750 with shorter stroke was better as a 998cc motor)
that was 2 years ago. still running strong. at 490 lbs, not as overweight as the original.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
someone asked to see the underseat battery box i designed for this 750 project. here it is.

161 - 166 of 166 Posts