Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll bringing him this chopped up baby in a few days with the intention of made a cafe over the winter.

First off will be some welding to get that flat bone line going on but there are a few things I'd like some opinions on:

1. Gas tank replacement. It has a bit of a teardrop shape, with a keyed gas cap cover. I'd love a honda 650 four tank like thats more square and blocky. What have you done?

2. Two to one exhaust. Why not shave it down a bit more and get a bit of performance at the same time.

3. Has anyone converted the rear drum to a disc?

And Parts, where have you gotten parts that you haven't fabricated on your own?

Cheers.

·
Administrator
282 Posts
Some pics of the project as is might get some better responses. I would step away from the grinder until you have a plan. Cutting first and making decisions later is a bad plan.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Its a CM400T, so the bar is incredibly low. I say do something insane with it... turbo bosozoku bike.

Reactions: TrialsRider

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
what is a “flat bone line”? and how does one turn a “ chopped up baby” into a cafe?

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
!. Aluminum There is no better fuel tank other then maybe Titanium but Ti is a bit pricy for a CM400T

2. Why not 2 into 1, go for it.

3. No, drum brake conversion is impossible, but you can completely replace a rear drum brake and wheel with anything else and then the possibilities are near endless.

Parts: You can't beat a local motorcycle scrap yard and what you can't buy there, Absolutely you should make your own bits wherever possible.

Welding: go learn to weld on something safer then a motorcycle frame. Maybe a motorcycle stand will fulfill that bucket list item much safer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I won't be starting my 2022 riding season on a bike I learned to weld on. So there's that. I have a good welding set of friends to get advice on.
Some pics of the project as is might get some better responses. I would step away from the grinder until you have a plan. Cutting first and making decisions later is a bad plan.
There are pics on the local marketplace, but its basically a CM440T with the ass chopped off, and it looks like its lived under a tree for the past rainy season. So nothing much to look at. Its going to need a series of new things for me to feel safe getting it on the road.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its a CM400T, so the bar is incredibly low. I say do something insane with it... turbo bosozoku bike.
I wouldn't say its set so low. Its a bike that screams for modification and thats what it gets. So i'll have fun and do what I can with my skills, my budget and then should it prove to be a safe and fun ride it might make a decent gift to my son.

As for turbo bosozoku, no one is doing rev battles in this town! But I have seen some real twisted builds since I've been looking online.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
!. Aluminum There is no better fuel tank other then maybe Titanium but Ti is a bit pricy for a CM400T

2. Why not 2 into 1, go for it.

3. No, drum brake conversion is impossible, but you can completely replace a rear drum brake and wheel with anything else and then the possibilities are near endless.

Parts: You can't beat a local motorcycle scrap yard and what you can't buy there, Absolutely you should make your own bits wherever possible.

Welding: go learn to weld on something safer then a motorcycle frame. Maybe a motorcycle stand will fulfill that bucket list item much safer.

Thanks. I need to start looking locally for sure. There was a salvage shop here with so much junk to sort through to try and find something useful. But its gone now I think. But I'm pretty good at hunting for things and fabricating when I need to.

I have a Honda ruckus that I've fabricated so much for rather than paying a shop to make stuff. So much custom parts. It was bought with the intention of teaching my son vehicle maintenance and fabrications as well. Lessons taught and learned so now its time to get rid of it with my other wheels in the garage.

·
Registered
871 Posts
the problem with the cm400t is that it's a chopper. given your use of the term "bone line" we can tell what you're after, and to get the look of a classic cb750 you need to lower the front section of the frame and raise the rear. a lot. rotating the whole bike to compensate messes with the engine in terms of oil pick up and swingarm angle due to the location of the pivot. as a basis for what you want to do, it's largely unsuitable due simply to the frame.

look at the pics of the bike at the start of this thread to illustrate the above issues.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
If you have a good CB400 engine, this is the frame you should be looking for instead of learning to weld.

CB450-S

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
See what makes this a good basis for a cafe racer :

It has everything to do with a very rigid frame that uses triangulation and nothing at all to do with bone lines.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
A CB400T is a better starting point if you want a cheaper twin. You can body kit it without chopping the frame. Suspension parts and decent tires are available, as are cables, brake parts, body kits, seats, bushings, bearings and all the other bits it will take. Leave the stock intake, exhaust and electrical systems. Fun, dependable bikes. Tire and suspension improvements change their personality. It could be more racey but not likely a racer.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I have half a mind to pick one up and do the whole CR. Net starter pack treatment to it... I bet you'd have an awesome townie bike...

• braided brake lines
  • fork brace
  • tires
  • fork springs/oil/emulators
  • Superbike bars
  • new cables
  • hagen rear shocks
  • exhaust
  • CR smoothbore carbs

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The whole airbox is already gone and it has pod filters on it already. And to be honest about this, its my first chopped up bike project. I'm going to learn on this one and might be able to find a different bike frame next time.

I got a couple pics so you can see what I'm working with. I don't mind the shape of the frame to be honest. Keeping/making that triangle shape on the inside will be easy when I get it and see what shapes I can keep.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
The biggest thing you need to do is add a brace tying the two shock towers together... make sure to arch it so it allows for full travel of the rear suspension

1 - 20 of 44 Posts