Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are these bikes worth anything? I have found one local that i could pick up for $400 that needs carbs cleaned. I haven't really seen a lot mentioned on 'em, but if i can part it out, or get it running and looking good do you think i could make some money on it?
did the 1980 have the cool gas tank that everyone likes?
thanks brosephs.

'72 cb750
'75 cb750
'76 cb750

·
Registered
585 Posts
The CX500 "Silverwings" were decent bikes. Basically they are a small, water-cooled, Moto-Guzzi, made by Honda. They have a horizontally-opposed v-twin motor and a drive shaft. They are good, reliable motorcycles. They sold primarily to the early Goldwing crowd as a light touring bike, and many of them still have the "Hondaline" fairing and trunk/saddlebag package. Over the years the CX500's came with three different tanks, and yes, one of those is the one that so many of us like -- I just painted one orange for my 1970 Suzuki T350.

They have a rigid, heavy frame. They are not a common bike to see tricked out, however Honda did have a short run that were set up from the factory with turbos. Those still have a dedicated following and will fetch about 4 times more than the standard ones. There also were a handful of CX650s sold out there. I have never seen any performance parts for one. Nevertheless, any bike can be made cool. They are smooth, quiet, reliable, and comfortable bikes.

On the other hand, I am ALWAYS leery of all bikes sold cheap wit "carb problem." Too often the seller either is ignorant of the actual problem or hopes that you will be.... There are a lot of carb problems that turn out to be broken timing chains, etc. Unless you know what you are looking at and looking for, or unless you just don't mind tossing your money away, be very skeptical and careful when buying a bike with "carb problems."

Peace and grease
-fang

'70 Suzuki T350
Download The Fang.mp3 HERE

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
My brother had one. He bought it for $400, and sold it several yrs later for $800 + 1/2 his expenses to fetch it from MA to MI. Always thought it was a butt ugly-bike, but he had no mechanical trouble with it. Of course, he also crashed his new Bonneville 3 times in the 2 yrs he owned it, and then got the wreck repossessed by the insurance co for defaulting on the psyments, so his experience may not be the best example. I guess the moral of the story is that you can make money on it if you can find a bigger moron than yourself. Hmmm.

Buy it, do something stupid with it (upohlster all the bodywork with faux leopard fur), just to to make a spectacle of yourself, and consider it cheap entertainment. Then sell it & break even, after you've done everything you can to trash it.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I can't remember what it is now but there is some problem with the cx500 (I think electrical related) that requires you to take the whole ening apart to fix a minor problem. Do a seach on this forum as we have talked about cx500s many times.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
quote:
I can't remember what it is now but there is some problem with the cx500 (I think electrical related) that requires you to take the whole ening apart to fix a minor problem. Do a seach on this forum as we have talked about cx500s many times.
i read the stator goes bad and your have to remove the engine. also, the timing chain guide was a problem i think, but only the first year. I'll go look at it, that can't hurt.

'72 cb750
'75 cb750
'76 cb750

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
quote: maybe you can buy it and flip it to judey's brother. he might be in the market for another bike.
He spent his motorcycle fund (which was a gift from his fiance) on a cz engagement ring. Not gonna be buying a bike for a long, long time - which is fine by me. I almost bought his wrecked Bonneville for my wife, just to irritate him.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I know a few people that love them and have lots and lots of miles on them HEY its a Honda.
Its kind of out of wack for a cafe styled bike the frame is wide all over.its more like a cheap Moto Guzzi but youd have to get a cooler looking tank and seat and make it all your self.also the engine is wide at top and the front end is air assist and floatty.So as cafe a cb is easier and more classic overall.

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I know a few people that love them and have lots and lots of miles on them HEY its a Honda.
Its kind of out of wack for a cafe styled bike the frame is wide all over.its more like a cheap Moto Guzzi but youd have to get a cooler looking tank and seat and make it all your self.also the engine is wide at top and the front end is air assist and floatty.So as cafe a cb is easier and more classic overall.

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
okay so it was actually a 1982 cx500 custom. looks like an ugly cruiser. I picked it up anyways. i really wanted a earlier cx500 standard with the awesome looking tank. segue to my question. is the frame different from the standard to the custom? can i easily enough fit a standard tank to my homoerotic custom? i love the engine in this bike and pretty sure instead of just flipping the bike and making some profit, i'd rather make it look cooler and take advantage of that crazy cool looking v twin.
another thought that entered my mind was rigid frame bobber. not a single person would know what kind of bike it was. so if your a honda nerd and you know about these things, please raise your hand.

'72 cb750
'75 cb750
'76 cb750

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So i got this 1982 CX500 from an asshole.
The bike didn't have any coolant in it on the test drive. i couldn't check it as the tank pretty much has to be removed to check the coolant. the overflow had coolant in it. anyway, bike needed carbs cleaned. got that done. Added coolant. Coolant came right out the waterpump weeper hole. After reading up on this bike, there is a seal that has gone bad in the bike (common problem) that needs to have the engine removed to replace. Some guys have done it without removing the engine, i'm going to try to do it that way too.
but it burns me up when i ask the guy if anything is wrong with it, and he says no. douche bag.
This bike was going to be sold to pay the garage rent, looks like i'm going to have another month or more getting it ready to sale. crapsicle.

'72 cb750
'75 cb750
'76 cb750

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So i got this 1982 CX500 from an asshole.
The bike didn't have any coolant in it on the test drive. i couldn't check it as the tank pretty much has to be removed to check the coolant. the overflow had coolant in it. anyway, bike needed carbs cleaned. got that done. Added coolant. Coolant came right out the waterpump weeper hole. After reading up on this bike, there is a seal that has gone bad in the bike (common problem) that needs to have the engine removed to replace. Some guys have done it without removing the engine, i'm going to try to do it that way too.
but it burns me up when i ask the guy if anything is wrong with it, and he says no. douche bag.
This bike was going to be sold to pay the garage rent, looks like i'm going to have another month or more getting it ready to sale. crapsicle.

'72 cb750
'75 cb750
'76 cb750

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Any time you buy a motorcycle that is 20 or more years old - expect to rebuild it from the ground up unless someone already beat you to it. Sounds like you bought a bike from a guy who doesn't know his asshole from his earhole, which pretty much gaurantees you would have to rebuild it from the ground up.

sorry that the steamy lump has caused you so much pain....good on you for doing the right thing and not just flipping it to the next asshole without fixing anything. Remember you can always part it out and probably get the same amount of money for slightly less work.

of course you could always insure the garage to the hilt, set the bike up in the middle and torch the motherfucker. but that would be illegal and wrong.

I have an extra drive unit for these bikes free to you if you can come get it.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Any time you buy a motorcycle that is 20 or more years old - expect to rebuild it from the ground up unless someone already beat you to it. Sounds like you bought a bike from a guy who doesn't know his asshole from his earhole, which pretty much gaurantees you would have to rebuild it from the ground up.

sorry that the steamy lump has caused you so much pain....good on you for doing the right thing and not just flipping it to the next asshole without fixing anything. Remember you can always part it out and probably get the same amount of money for slightly less work.

of course you could always insure the garage to the hilt, set the bike up in the middle and torch the motherfucker. but that would be illegal and wrong.

I have an extra drive unit for these bikes free to you if you can come get it.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
frank the scrap guy knocked on my door the other night (i call him and give him all my old moto frames and worthless metal parts)......

"i got a bike for you."

we go out to his truck and there was a cx500.....

i laughed and told him if it was just any other honda i probably would have taken it. told him to strip it of good parts and ebay them, then scrap the rest.

he said he'd drop off the parts to me after new years. he wanted $150.00 for the bike (no running, no title).

texy

http://groups.google.com/group/PhillyVinMoto

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
frank the scrap guy knocked on my door the other night (i call him and give him all my old moto frames and worthless metal parts)......

"i got a bike for you."

we go out to his truck and there was a cx500.....

i laughed and told him if it was just any other honda i probably would have taken it. told him to strip it of good parts and ebay them, then scrap the rest.

he said he'd drop off the parts to me after new years. he wanted $150.00 for the bike (no running, no title).

texy

http://groups.google.com/group/PhillyVinMoto
did you take the tank at least?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts