Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
You know why there isn't too much interest in it? Because you handicapped yourself by starting with the LTD model instead of the standard kz750. Leading axle forks and 16" rear wheels are lousy for performance. Plus you are starting with the cosmetics instead of tending to what that bike really needs (which from the looks of things includes a decent servicing).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
....geeto67 i think you typed before you thought
A. just because it doesn't go as fast as other bikes doesn't mean its a bad bike
B. I did not start with the "cosmetics"
C. this engine has been tuned by the same guy that keeps every motorcycle in working condition in the alabama barbers motorcycle museum
A lot of performance disabled motorcycles are my favorite motorcycle BECAUSE OF THE COSMETICS, If people are going to be rude on here just because of the bike I have then to hell with them

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
....geeto67 i think you typed before you thought
A. just because it doesn't go as fast as other bikes doesn't mean its a bad bike
B. I did not start with the "cosmetics"
C. this engine has been tuned by the same guy that keeps every motorcycle in working condition in the alabama barbers motorcycle museum
A lot of performance disabled motorcycles are my favorite motorcycle BECAUSE OF THE COSMETICS, If people are going to be rude on here just because of the bike I have then to hell with them
Nope....I meant every bit of what I said. You are not special in the regard that you assumed any bike would be a good starting point for whatever you think a cafe racer is. That is not the case, some bikes by their very engineering nature require more work than others.

A) it isn't a matter of being fast, it is a matter of going around a curve. And yes it is a bad bike for that from an engineering standpoint. You picked something that will by its nature will cost more, require more effort, and deliver less result than if you paid THE SAME AMOUNT for the non LTD version of the same bike. Kz750s aren't rare, I can't imagine looking a little harder for one would have put you out much. This is a fine example of the disadvantage of picking whatever came along vs actually doing research and looking for a specific bike.

B) Perhaps I should have said - you started your modification with the "cosmetics". I don't see any suspension upgrades, brake upgrades, anything that functionally makes the bike better than stock. But I see a tail section and white paint. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you serviced it.

C) Big whoop. You found a competent mechanic. Good for you because that actually is a hard thing to do, but it doesn't impress me or nearly anybody else. Your bike ISN'T in the museum, it isn't a racer, it isn't magically faster because someone who is probably very good touched it. All that can be assumed is that it probably runs really well.

This is a matter of perspective, most motorcycles are performance disabled as compared with next years bleeding edge technology. Really what this part of the hobby is about (not motorcycling as a whole) is improving the ride quality of the bike you have. If all you are thinking about is the cosmetics then you are playing dress up and missing the point. You want to look at it from the perspective of maximizing what you have through throughful and researched upgrades. Need more brakes? upgrade them. want to go around the bend slightly faster, upgrade the suspension, tires, etc. Want faster there are parts and setups for that too. The bike you have was designed by the factory not to do anything well other than drive fringe customers from the HD dealer to the japanese dealers. You have a lot of work ahead of you, and I don't see anything on your part that you even acknowledge this let alone are trying to undo it.

This isn't choppers. You don't get a gold star for a bumstop seat and a set of clubman handlebars and generally shaping something to look like something else. Bikes that are considered benchmarks in the hobby reflect meaningful upgrades that have an impact on how the motorcycle works.

Don't be rude by assuming we are here just to be nice to you. If you want to participate, introduce yourself. provide actual real details. Treat it like you just walked into a room full of strangers and you can't just hide in the corner. It seems to me like you are just looking for people to be rude to you. either that or you are really sensitive.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
FWIW, if it were my bike I would start from the tires up:

- the stock bike uses 36mm forks. In addition to being non-cartirdge, non progesssive, they are too small and spindly for the amount of heft they have to guide. I would look for a fork upgrade, prefferably at least 40mm or larger. In looking for that upgrade I would need to consider: rake (both neck and trees), trail, offset, and steering lock. I would want that front end to prefferably use a better brake setup and use a 18" front wheel instead of the stock 19". Whatever you do you want to get rid of that leading axle. Ideally your new fork should also be fully adjustable.

- The rear 16" wheel is garbage. Throw it away. You could go find an 18" from a standard kz750 or a kz1000. If you are changing the front, you might want to look for a rear that matches. This all depends on your budget/plan

- the rear swingarm is too small and spindly. the GS1100 is an upgrade but you will need to do research on that as it is not a direct bolt in for your applicaiton. I have one in a cb750 and it was decent amount of work to put it in (as done mostly by the previous owner).

- the rear shocks are junk. A set of new hagons if you are on a budget, yss/ohlins/works if you are not, will do wonders for making the bike handle better.

after all that the bike will look no different, but will run rings around any other stock "vintage" bike. you can lean in to curves more, brake later, generally enjoy the bike more.

- - - Updated - - -

participate in fucking off

nice guy. you suck your boyfriend's dick with that mouth?

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
well you chased another one off.....and I don't care!

kzpappy has reported this post:

http://www.caferacer.net/forum/project-builds/22115-1980-kz750-ltd-h1-project.html#post277638

This is part of this thread:
1980 kz750 ltd-h1 project
http://www.caferacer.net/forum/project-builds/22115-1980-kz750-ltd-h1-project.html

This is the reason that the user gave:
this was a rude comment and I think someone got up on the wrong side of the bed and decided to pick on the new guy
if this continues i will no longer use the caferacer.net website

This message has been sent to all moderators of this forum, or all administrators if there are no moderators.

Please respond to this post as applicable.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
apparently being honest is rude. If you post your bike on a bunch of sites and people don't seem all that enthuastic about it, guess what? it's not them.

tex, you probably shouldn't post this kind of stuff. Not because of any privacy concerns but I just don't want to know how sad some of these people are.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
"Justin's Floodlight" and "Overdue Account" are also classics.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
I like this David Thornes imagination. Simon must be areal douche bag to have been picked on so much. I love it. If Simon were to have to fly somewhere I would slip some 9mm shells in his coat pocket with a pic of the President.

·
Registered
419 Posts
David Thorne said:
Motorbikes
I recently bought a dirt bike. A YZ250F for those interested in such things. To justify buying the motorbike, I told Holly that it was for her. "If you learn to ride," I said, "I will buy a second bigger one for myself and we can go riding together on trails." On Sunday afternoon, we drove to a secluded area in the forest and unloaded the bike.
"What's this button do? asked Holly as she hopped on, "Is that to start it?"
"That's a bolt. You have to kick start it," I replied, showing her how to put it in neutral and start the engine.
"Where's the accelerator?" asked Holly.
"You twist the right-hand grip," I answered, "And it's not called an accelerator on a motorbike, it's called a throttle."
"Well that's just stupid, I'm going to call it an accelerator," responded Holly.
"If you are not going to take this seriously you probably shouldn't..."
"I am taking it seriously," Holly cut in, "You're not the boss of names. Just show me how to make it go. If you can ride a motorbike it can't be rocket science."
"Ok, fine," I said, "Squeeze the clutch and put it in gear. No, you press down for first..."
"So the clutch is called a clutch and the accelerator is called something stupid?" Holly interrupted, "Why didn't they just call the clutch a squeezer?"
"What?" I replied, "It doesn't matter what it's called, you have to squeeze the clutch and release it slowly as you increase the thro... the accelerator. It's exactly the same process as driving a manual car."
"I'm going to call it a squeezer from now on," stated Holly, "So I just twist the whatsit and let go of the squeezer?"
"Well, yes," I answered, "But you have to release the squeezer slowly and twist the accelerator at the same time otherwise the bike will stall. And if you give it too much accelerator and let go of the squeezer too quickly, it will take off and you will probably crash."
"Ok," said Holly as she twisted the throttle to maximum and let go of the clutch to give me a 'thumbs up'.
The bike tore forward and Holly, now horizontal and screaming, travelled about twenty metres with the throttle in a death grip before developing speed wobble and being thrown off. The bike flipped a few times before coming to a halt.
Running towards her, I saw Holly climb unsteadily to her feet, hold out her arms as if doing an impression of a plane caught in turbulence, then fall over again. Kneeling at her side and asking if she was ok, Holly turned to me, focused, and said, "You are a terrible fucking teacher."
This is almost word-for-word and event-for-event EXACTLY how my experience with my ex went when I tried to teach her to ride. She even argued about the names of things. And dumped the clutch to give me the finger.

-Deek

1 - 18 of 18 Posts