Cafe Racer Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
For the frame it's cans, I'm going to use wrinkle finish high temp black, the type guys use on rocker covers, not really seen it done much, and once cooked a little it's a tough good looking finish.
The rest will be through the gun, 2k gold with black pinstripes are the favourites so far.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Do any of you guys have any tips for rebuilding the standard forks?
Oil weight, spacers etc?
They don't have to be super sharp, it's just a street bike but everything can be improved!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Do any of you guys have any tips for rebuilding the standard forks?
Oil weight, spacers etc?
They don't have to be super sharp, it's just a street bike but everything can be improved!
Cartridge emulators and new springs. With the emulators oil weight is used only to tune rebound damping and the spring/wafers in the emulator determine compression damping. I have 15wt in my GS550, but I use a lot of rebound.

spacers would depend on the length and rate of the springs you use. I use PVC pipe for spacers. You cut them to length to set your sag. Generally you want about 25-35 mm of sag when you sit on the bike. (30-40mm in the rear)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Been a quiet week or so waiting for bearings etc.
But got the new headstock bearings in, and got the frame ready for paint.
Put some sheeting up in my workshop and got the frame hanging on wires, I have a couple of heaters set on timers so it should be nice and warm when I start tomorrow.
The paint is dependent on temperature to achieve the wrinkle finish I want, fingers crossed!
Water Bicycle tire Bicycle part Wood Triangle

Wood Flooring Floor Plumbing fixture Composite material

Bicycle tire Bicycle fork Bicycle Bicycle accessory Bicycle frame

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well, it's the most horrendous paint I've ever used!
Very high voc content, it's smells to high heaven, is super sticky on surrounding areas, and melts any sort of plastic dust sheet, and soles of trainers!
But it's starting to wrinkle up, it's over heat for the next 12 hours to help cure and tighten the grain.
Tire Wheel Bicycle Land vehicle Bicycle frame

Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar Bicycle part Bicycle fork

Bicycle handlebar Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Automotive tire Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Bicycle part

Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle Bicycle part Bicycle handlebar

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
a wrinkle frame? Bold.

For DIY stuff, I've always used appliance paint.

You're going to chase those threads right?

Reactions: TrialsRider

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I bet an auto detailing steam cleaner would do it

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
lol what happened?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
A couple of important places absolutely will not wrinkle, 80% is great, but 2 places look like they have aged "rub" on the downtubes under the seat area.
I could get away with it, but I know it's there, and it will bother me. . . . . . .
So it's coming off, it was worth a try I suppose!

21 - 40 of 57 Posts