Cafe Racer Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
It's a lovely thing nickel plate, but I don't think these frames are suitable for it, I think they have to be brazed joints? And the frames need drain holes for the solution to drain?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
If your bikes covered in oil most of the time there could be a problem!
Most brit bikes were notorious for leaking from new, and nearly always had satin or semi gloss paint for the frames.
It's fine to use, if you get marks from oils etc use isopropyl alcohol to wipe it off.
2k is also a hard finish.
Not everyone's a numpty you know.
After 32yrs of building bikes and refinishing stuff for a living I have some knowledge.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Oh, and the gs500 carbs arrived that I'll be using, straight bolt on fit, half the weight of the originals, and easy to get parts for, dynojet stg 3 kit and double K&N filters are off the shelf.

·
Registered
7,097 Posts
Not everyone's a numpty you know.
After 32yrs of building bikes and refinishing stuff for a living I have some knowledge.
Yes indeed, you now know that wrinkle paint is not so good for motorcycle frames.

Nice gloss black finish on those triple trees, that will still look good once that red grease starts to melt and migrate over it (y)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Evening!
The frames done at last, I'm really happy with how it's turned out, the rear hoop and welds, with the support gussets are smooth and neat.
Also had a fiddle with the tank badges while I was a bit bored, they are a soft alloy and we're battered, so I sprayed them satin black then used a fine paper to remove the paint from the letters and give them a brushed finish.
And fitted some new swingarm bearings before I paint it, decided to use some threaded bar and washers to press them in as they are a bit too delicate to drift in.
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset
Bicycle Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle fork Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

Bicycle Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Musical instrument Bicycle fork

Musical instrument Sword Épée Wind instrument Plumbing

Automotive tire Sleeve Grey Font Drink

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
OK, another change!
Even though the paint on the frame was 2k I didn't like it after a long cure time
it just looked a bit, I don't know, thin!!
So went again and this time gloss black followed by 2k clear, swingarm in the same.
Looks much better and nice and tough.

Got to loosely put a few bits together for a bit of a mental boost.
I have extended the thread down the swingarm pivot as I won't be using the old footrest hanger plates that it passed through, so I can cut it to a shorter length to suit.
Crankset Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Automotive tire Tire

Wood Machine Shelf Human leg Engineering

Tire Crankset Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 · (Edited)
No, they are the rfy shocks that have dubious build quality, they are going to be stripped down, checked and built with correct oil and air levels.
A machined bleed valve will be fitted to the reservoir too.

·
Registered
7,097 Posts
Seen one where a guy broke the reservoir right off the shock body. Didn't hurt it any, because there were no holes drilled between the shock and the reservoir, so it still worked as good as new.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Different shock, seen that myself, he cut through it to see what was in it.
These have an air bladder filled with nitrogen in the reservoir, there is a schrader valve on the underside of the reservoir.
They are gas charged, just not matched as pairs, also the oil level will be low and air gaps will be wrong.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts