Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Just double checking....
Carbs balanced?
Carbs thoroughly cleaned? (I prefer ultrasonic)
Bike running on all cylinders?
Clean air filter?
Carb boots in good condition?
New, properly gapped plugs?
Check for proper voltage at coils
Check valve shims
Timing checked with timing light?

Don't write it off until you go through all those things first.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
@HipsterSquid Back in the 70's I fitted Laverda Jota multi adjustable bars to my Ducati 860GTe. Very similar to these which I believe are still available. You can adjust them to many configurations.
x2 on the laverda adjustables. I had them on my CX500 and loved them. Highly recommend.

That being said, remember your bike is a LTD, so a cruiser model. play into its strengths. Don't try to force it into something it isn't.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
What strengths? Its a raked out *** bike designed to haul fat chicks on the back. The motor and the brakes are only good thing about this bike. Its really hard to come by the sport versions of any of the old ujm's where I live. I'd be happy with the model "e" 18" rear wheel and a tighter front end. I'm trying really hard to read about geometry before I come on here asking stupid questions but it's fucking complicated to me because I suck at math. I learn better by making small changes and feeling the difference.
you just listed the strengths: "Its a raked out *** bike designed to haul fat chicks on the back. The motor and the brakes are only good thing about this bike"

There's the universal things to improve the bike: suspension, braces, brakes/brake lines, tires, bearings/bushings, ignition etc...
But then you lean in to the weird 80s japanese cruiser/muscle bike thing and you OWN IT. Make that bike look the part.
Like you said, it's stupid complicated to take a cruiser-framed bike and make it into a superbike or "cafe racer". Not worth the money unless you find a cheap frame and forks to swap the motor over to.

So ham it up. look at period pictures of this bike and what was done to it and roll with it.

Reactions: Classic250

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
If I were you.... after doing all the basic performance and reliability upgrades... I would take style inspiration from the current Japanese vintage cruiser scene... they've got a neat look thats a cross between American 70s Harleys and bosozoku

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Here's some more good motorcycle stuff to watch:

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I've used the braided lines with threaded ends where you screw on the banjo fitting. I haven't had any issues

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Hey make sure that master cylinder has the right size piston for your calipers

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Thats a question for a more knowlegable person than I. Too big or too small of a piston can exert too little or too much pressure on the pads; a serious safety concern. Theres guides out there that should point uou in the right direction as well

Also, those reservoirs sometimes mount to a separate location rather than a bracket on the assembly (like a point on the triple tree or bars). That may be why its just attached via the hose.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Its coming along well. Glad you're going the direction you are!

Reactions: HipsterSquid

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
It's coming along.

The best thing is that it's super easy to make it look cool when you play into it's strengths.

If you're bored, some WD-40 and fine sandpaper will give your engine cases a really awesome brushed aluminum look.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts