161 - 180 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
1982 kz440a
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
Yeah!
Tire Vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire
I should be a really nice guy and scan this in Greyscale because the copy that's floating around on the net is so horribly crushed the pictures look like a chuck-e-cheese photobooth printout

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
I would be very tempted to make it into a solo saddle, or make a solo saddle to fit onto it that you can convert back when you want to haul passengers.

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
Solo saddle plus flat bars and rear sets would de-cruiserfy it real quick :cool: might make it a little more wind slippery at highway speed and allow you to explore sprocket size changes.

·
Registered
1982 kz440a
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
Solo saddle plus flat bars and rear sets would de-cruiserfy it real quick :cool: might make it a little more wind slippery at highway speed and allow you to explore sprocket size changes.
Yes, that would look really fast, and I could also mount a tiny cup holder for whiteclaws but there is nothing I can do to change the fact that the crank is wider than a freeway lane

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
a metalflake paint job would look awesome

·
Administrator
27 Posts
It's an LTD... Same problem as the Suzuki GS-L models. Not a lot you can do to REALLY make it a better bike.
The best thing you can do for these bike, is make them a better cruiser. That is not a hard, nor expensive thing to do.
I am not a fan, but, I do have an L in my garage. Making it better than it was factory is easy.
If it's not what you wanna roll with? Make it run RIGHT, clean it up, and sell it.
Then get want you were really looking for.

·
Registered
1982 kz440a
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
Ok converting to 530 chain and sprockets. Somebody school me on chains. What do u guys run? Standard chains? The super swanky o-ring shit? Preferred brands?

·
Administrator
27 Posts
The common conversion for these JDM's is 530 from a 630. X-ring will cost a little more, but last longer. I know on the old GS's you have to place a spacer behind the front sprocket for the 530 setup to line up like the 630 did. Betting it will be the same for the LTD's.

·
Registered
1982 kz440a
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
The common conversion for these JDM's is 530 from a 630. X-ring will cost a little more, but last longer. I know on the old GS's you have to place a spacer behind the front sprocket for the 530 setup to line up like the 630 did. Betting it will be the same for the LTD's.
Does the spacer need to have the spline pattern machined in the center? Or can it simply fit around it? Any reccomendations for a ⁸Chain breaker/riveter?

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
Roller chain is so easy to break once you grind the pins off flush with the side plate, a small punch and a hammer will knock them apart, cir-clip master links are easy to put on and makes regular cleaning service super simple.
For a master link riveter you will need to buy a nice expensive tool, that you will likely use once every two or three years.
(y) spend large on the rivet tool and put it somewhere you can find it easy in 3 years, ... and make sure you assemble them correctly before you rivet, or stock up on spare cir-clip master links with extra rubber rings.

161 - 180 of 204 Posts