Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

So I've got this:

And I'm planing to make something Cafe Racer(ish) out of it, it won't be the best handeling nor best stopping XV750 out there, but it will be way better ( not very difficult I have to admit...)

What I already got:

A XJ900 front, not a USD super brake setup, but still, anti-dive system and most important dual disk

I'll have (well a machine shop) bore out the clamps from 36mm to 37mm, that shouldn't be a problem.

The problem is that I don't like the wheel, I already painted it black, it's better but not quite there yet

I also designed and 3D printed a "Boyd inspired" wheel cover just to see if it would be better:

Got a '06 Yamaha R1 rear shock ( that looks like new ! )

I'll have to design an adapter for it to fit, it's a couple of inches shorter than the OEM one.

Got also a Kawasaki KZ650SR fuel tank, it will fit without any modification, I'll just have to make a bracket on the seat side.

It looks like this on the bike.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
You're going to be fighting an uphill battle with getting the bike to be what you're envisioning. The popular custom XVs you see online have A LOT of unseen fabrication.

Good luck, make safety your top priority.

We'll give you honest advice, so be careful what you ask or show.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys,

I have a first question.

In my quest to find a better looking and efficient front-end I'm wondering how far I can go.

Explanation: the XV750 triple tree / clamps are made for 36mm fork tubes, but in that size there's nothing much, I've got a XJ900 from which I'm planing to use the front end, but for that I'll have to drill out the clamps from 36 to 37mm ( well a machine shop will do this) could I got to 38mm or higher without a risk ? The bigger the tube the better and more choice.

This is the XV750 part

It looks like there's enough meat.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another question,

I've got a 2006 Yamaha R1 monoshock, there's a company who's selling an adapter for the R6 but not the R1, it looks like this

I could design my own, 3d print it and try it to be sure that it's ok, a give it to a machine shop ( he's asking 180€ for that)

But what about this one ?

It's also a XV750 with the same R1 monoshock, my machine shop is asking 85€ for that ( they did no make the one on the picture ! )

The first part is definitely better looking and probably stronger than the 2nd one, but nobody will see it

But if the 2nd part, well made, is strong enough I'll go for that one.

What do you think ?

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
View attachment 105074

What do you think ?
So you are taking the top shock mount and adding a lever to the one single bolt that holds it on, then subjecting that bolt to tensile stress instead of 2 points of shear stress that would exist on the original fixture :unsure: That better be a pretty darn big and strong bolt head.

Your steel bracket is over-kill stronger then the single bolt you plan to mount it with.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Couldn't you just switch to tapered steering head bearings and use the complete XJ900 front end?

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
So you are taking the top shock mount and adding a lever to the one single bolt that holds it on, then subjecting that bolt to tensile stress instead of 2 points of shear stress that would exist on the original fixture :unsure: That better be a pretty darn big and strong bolt head.

Your steel bracket is over-kill stronger then the single bolt you plan to mount it with.
I'm still bogged down on the MOOSE tires. Spent all that time and money on his wall art and all you see is MOOSE. Built himself a swamp donkey.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"

Your steel bracket is over-kill stronger then the single bolt you plan to mount it with. "

Well this system , the one with the billet part, is working, it has being mounted on dozens of bike and I didn't hear/read any problems with this setup.

Good news about the steel bracket :D

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Couldn't you just switch to tapered steering head bearings and use the complete XJ900 front end?
It would indeed be easier, I could leave the whole front end as is !

But I'll have to make a matching stem, how do I do that ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm still bogged down on the MOOSE tires. Spent all that time and money on his wall art and all you see is MOOSE. Built himself a swamp donkey.
It's a promo bike, the company who made this bike is called Moose Motodesign

If you don't already know this channel it's the perfect opportunity to discover it, great contents

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
... Well this system , the one with the billet part, is working, it has being mounted on dozens of bike and I didn't hear/read any problems with this setup.

Good news about the steel bracket :D
Cool, if that's what the guys that successfully race XV's are using I would go with the same aluminum version.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
It would indeed be easier, I could leave the whole front end as is !

But I'll have to make a matching stem, how do I do that ?
With a metal turning lathe would be one way if you can't already buy something at a motorcycle wreckers that works.
plus there are ways to reconjigger the frame too make different steering heads work too.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
You would just order the bearings with the appropriate inner diameters.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
With a metal turning lathe would be one way if you can't already buy something at a motorcycle wreckers that works.
plus there are ways to reconjigger the frame too make different steering heads work too.
What is "reconjigger " ?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
And hope that the stems have the same length, or at least that the XJ900 is long enough ( or longer ) and not stepped !
theres a web site for that, pick your bike. find out which forks will fit. buy your bearings. buy your forks..chances are there will be several front ends that will fit your bike without mod’ing the triple tree, if those 900 forks wont fit without mods, junk em and find ones that will, push the easy button.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts