Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! its nice to join here! I really fell in love with these bike when I bought my first one about a year ago. This is my second one. It is a 1982 and I spent the past 6 months restoring it. The bike was completely tore down and rebuilt, and I mean everything!. I did all the work on it, except sew the seat cover together. It is House of Kolor Kandy Tangerine, and pretty much everything else is Mirror Black Powdercoating from Eastwood. I wanted it to look stockish but modern! Ive stared at tons of the bike on here and it really helped my creativity! Its nice to share my passion with the members here.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Nice work. I would put a small (maybe 4 or 5") ductail / fender out the back to make it look finished. The end of the seat looks a bit tatty, but also I don't get the bobber thing.....and that would stop crap being thown up in the air and all over your back, too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nice work being very thorough, looks great. Agreed a rear fender is needed for it to be a rider. Tell us about the powdercoating, this is the Eastwood hotcoat DIY stuff, right? How do you cure it? Is it tough?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Geeto67...Call it what you will.. I thought it sounded cool. Styling is kinda cafeish and its a larger bike like a cruser. Either way thanks for the compliment!
As far as the fender... The back of the seat provides plenty of splash protection when riding single. I dont really ride in bad wether though. I am considering a rear fender on my next build.

The powder coating is really durable and it cures in an over at bout 400 degrees. It's been on this bike and after two months of 100 plus degree weather it still looks great.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Very nice work! Dig the colors!
Rear fender, longer shocks and a bit
more seat upholstery would make it perfect.
Imho.

Best regards
Sven

·
Registered
830 Posts
Your bike appears to be nicely assembled, but...

Nope, sorry, I'm calling foul. You put tire dressing on the sidewalls, which means it got into the edge of the tread as well. That is a guaranteed panty-soiler/crash accelerator that you cannot take back - unless you wash it off. I recommend dish soap and water.

On second thought, leave the tire dressing on. With the dearth of ground clearance you have, it's not going to be ridden through turns very aggressively.

It looks like you powdercoated just about anything and everything that could be called metal on that bike. Nice touch, however...depending on who you talk to and the research you do, that could be the kiss of death to an engine that is run hard, since the powdercoat tends to trap heat, but then again, this bike looks to be a casual rider, not a machine that will be ridden hard.

WARNING: This post may be negative and critical.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I like the blacked out look - looks great with the tin color. I really don't think the paint on the engine will hold that much heat especially when your running an oil cooler. As far as the rear end goes - I get the look your going for but it still looks unfinished. I would have added a little more padding to the seat and finished off the back with "something". Still not a bad job for a bike that no one really wants in stock form.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
The jury is still out on the PC trapping too much heat trial. I know people who've done it with no problems and I know people who swear it will kill an air cooled engine in no time....although pretty much all the latter guys have never actually done it. I guess it will depend on the thickness of the coating more than anything.

I still like the bike and the look - just that the bobbed rear / seat end looks unfinished and a bit.......ratty.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
If you finished the rear end off with a fender, you could then put the license plate and tail light back where they belong insead of haning off the lower shock mount like you couldn't be creative enough to put them in the proper place.

Ken

Oh Yeah, put some decent length shocks on that thing so it doesn't look like some droopy drawered old granny butt bike.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
wow, ken is rampaging today!

though I agree - that plate is a cop magnet. no license plate light, vertical, and mounted off to the side (i.e. not visible). you get one cop having a bad day and I am pretty sure he'll stick that ticket book right up your ass.

·
Registered
830 Posts
The difference between powdercoating thickness and paint thickness is quite a bit, relatively speaking - the difference between a t-shirt and a jean jacket if translated to clothing. Which one holds heat in better?

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Honda black paint for the cb900 was pretty thick. They even ran the 1100fs and the 1000c with black painted engines. The 900 ran almost the same oil cooler as the 1100 so I doubt heat retention through powdercoat is really an issue.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Geeto,
You know how much those side mount plates annoy me. I think people post those up just to piss me off. I want to know why a builder who is so obviously capable of doing excellent work would quit when it comes to the last 12" of his bike? Look at the paint and the time that was spent going through the whole machine and then he puts on crappy short shocks that throw off the whole aesthetic line of the tank bottom and seat with respect to the ground. But, more importantly, decrease the ground clearance on a bike which is already handling challenged by weight, wheelbase, front end design and drive shaft. I just don't get it. No rational person can successfully argue that this bike works or even looks better in its current configuration than it would with longer shocks, a rear fender and the right tail light and license plate mount.

I just don't get it.

Ken

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow. I got pretty ripped up! I guess to answer all questions. I liked the look, and the side mount plate was the best solution. Most importantly, somebody else really liked it to, it sold on EBAY for $5000. Not bad. My next bike will have a small fender behind the seat, I had quite a few suggest that, but others liked the "half assed" look also;)

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Emit R Detsaw

The difference between powdercoating thickness and paint thickness is quite a bit, relatively speaking - the difference between a t-shirt and a jean jacket if translated to clothing. Which one holds heat in better?
Emit, you have a lot to learn about powder coating because right now you know nothing. The average automotive paint job today is between 4-6 mil. Recommended powder coating thickness is 1.5-3.0 mil (.0015-.0030") I have done accurate testing and determined that powder actually weighs less than paint. And it is also a myth that powder will inhibit heat transfer any more than paint will, in fact black coating will dissipate heat faster than any other color.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts