Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day everyone.

Hi I'm Rex, I own a 2014 Honda CB500F ABS and absolutely love it. I added a tremendous amount of work into it, being that when I bought it, it was missing key parts and the stator was a mess. But after some time I have completely rebuilt it and am very proud of the outcome. But I always, always wanted a Café Racer. Sadly my coworkers aunt husband passed away and left her a 1982 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk. She saw the completed picture of my bike "Midnight" and asked me if I would like to buy her late husband's bike. I was past elated, finally. A new project my dream bike. I would like to know where exactly to start. The bike is stock the only thing the previous owner added was a windshield, so I would like to know where would be a good place to start. Thank you gor all you future help.

Regards. Rex Morgan

·
Registered
1979 XS750
66 Posts
If the bike is road worthy then it’s up to you to make it look “cool”. If it’s not in running order then start there

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the bike is road worthy then it’s up to you to make it look “cool”. If it’s not in running order then start there
It's running quiet well. Just some basic maintenance. Thanks I'll start with the electronics.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Rex, welcome. Not sure what your last reply meant. Did you mean you will start the maintenance by cleaning up the electrical connections and switches or did you mean you wil start by ripping out the working wiring and replacing it all with something expensive, new and not needed?

If it's complete and running, I'd replace tires and other consumables as required and then run it for a while to see what you like and what you don't like about it. Then I'd exercise the old google fu and see what images come up and look at other pictures of cafe racers and start to work out what you want to change functionally and aesthetically.

The worst thing to do is to start stripping things off and cutting off brackets etc, unless you want to convert a working motorcycle into a pile of parts in the corner of the shop. It is very tempting to start hacking things like the youtube videos made by people with no idea what they are doing or where they are going.

You may find that you grow to like the old school feel and look of the stock bike. If it can be cleaned and polished, enjoy the old school cool and if it's too rusty for that, enjoy the patina.

But please post pictures of both bikes and let us know which way you are headed with "the build"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rex, welcome. Not sure what your last reply meant. Did you mean you will start the maintenance by cleaning up the electrical connections and switches or did you mean you wil start by ripping out the working wiring and replacing it all with something expensive, new and not needed?

If it's complete and running, I'd replace tires and other consumables as required and then run it for a while to see what you like and what you don't like about it. Then I'd exercise the old google fu and see what images come up and look at other pictures of cafe racers and start to work out what you want to change functionally and aesthetically.

The worst thing to do is to start stripping things off and cutting off brackets etc, unless you want to convert a working motorcycle into a pile of parts in the corner of the shop. It is very tempting to start hacking things like the youtube videos made by people with no idea what they are doing or where they are going.

You may find that you grow to like the old school feel and look of the stock bike. If it can be cleaned and polished, enjoy the old school cool and if it's too rusty for that, enjoy the patina.

But please post pictures of both bikes and let us know which way you are headed with "the build"
In all honesty I think your right. I watched a few videos and they did kinda jump into striping it. The owners wife told me he took care of it at all times. It has new tires and looks maintained. I will absolutely take your advice and ride for a while to see exactly what I need to do. I'm going to move the bike to the shop this weekend but today I'm going to really take my time and inspect other parts I didn't really take a good look at before. And I do love the 1982 look of the bike. It's kinda growing on me. But as I said a Café Racer is my dream bike. I'll put up pictures of midnight now. And later I'll post pics of the nighthawk. Thank you for your info and I look forward in showing my project.

Regards Rex

2014 Honda CB500F ABS (Modified)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Leaving some fenders on it would be a good start. Awful lot of wannabe riders seem to think motorcycle fenders are optional lol fenders are optional on a manure spreader, not on a motorcycle.
LIKE SPOOL HUBS, PRETTY, BUT FLATTRACK ONLY

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good day. So I'm making sure the bike runs perfect before I start removing parts. But let me post some questions that I have.

1. The carb seams to be running fine but very dirty and looks dented at some sides. I purchased a rebuild kit and will rebuild it Saturday. It's a twin so it has dual carbs. Do I need to sync dual carbs with the gauge tool? Should I upgread the jets to stage 2 jets from honda or leave the jets that the rebuild kit comes with?

2. The airbox had some oil in the bottom which I cleaned out. Is that an issue I should address? Or could it be over time the carb sends unused gas through? Should I adjust the carbs in any way after I remove the airbox and install intake air filters?

3. Is it safe to completley relocate the battery and electronics to the space where the airbox was?
Is it wise to replace the petcock with a fuel pump. And will I need to refuse the electronics to handle the load?

Just to ask a few. I have many many questions. But I dont want to get too deep and loose track. So each step I'll post pictures. So far I've left the bike ecexactly as I posted last. I changed the battery, oil, oil filter, clean the carburetors then grease and oil the moving parts.
Ok lLast question. Are drum breaks difficult to change and I must be a newbie, but where is the master cylinder for the rear break?

Thanks for all your future help.

Regards Rex

1 - 12 of 12 Posts