Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 1982 Honda CM250 for my first project bike. Where I live its hard to come by CBs or Yamaha XS's, so when i found this little bike for $150 i jumped on it. I was wondering what the difference is between the CM's and the CB's. I know Honda CB's are the traditional cafe racer bikes, so I was wondering if I will be able to purchase CB parts and it will transfer easily to my CM. There arent a lot of Honda CM cafe racer projects out there so its hard to get a feel for how easy it will be to convert it into a cafe racer. Any advice or tips will help since I am new to the cafe racer world.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
1. British and european bikes are the "traditional" cafe racers. CB hondas used to be the stomping ground of anybody would couldn't afford british, until the hipsters outpriced them.

2. cm hondas are usually the crusier models. Basically you bought a honda rebel before they ever got around to calling it a rebel.

3. trying to do anything with this bike like you want is a good example of chasing good money after bad. Anything is possible it all depends on three things: your skills, talent, and wallet. You would be better off trying to make some sort of hardtail chopper out of it - the bike is 2/3rds of the way there already, all it needs is a weld on hardtail and a sprung saddle.

Is this your first motorcycle? if it is, just ride it. Don't worry about low bars, or fiberglass seats - just try to keep the thing running and riding for a year and try not to die on it.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Tuned up and maintained it will take you (slowly) around the world. Just enjoy it for what it is.

·
Registered
830 Posts
The CM250 was a bridge between the CM185/200 Twinstar and the CMX250 Rebel, and later, the CB250 Nighthawk. Same engine as the Rebel/Nighthawk, same running gear as the Nighthawk. It is a little two-wheeled tank, but performance parts are nil and really, the suspension/brakes/accoutrements are commuter bike spec. Just ride the thing - after you get it running, titled and insured. Oh, don't forget to take an MSF RiderCourse to knock the rust off what you know and add some new survival tactics as well. The window of opportunity to take a class is winding down if you're in a snow belt state.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Welcome. Please fill out your bio a bit more.
What is your experience with motorcycles: riding, repairing?
What is your experience with fabrication: engine work, welding?
Do you have a goal in chasing the elusive "cafe racer" moniker: something to practice building and possible have to toss in the bin, pursuing a well running/riding period-specific bike?

·
Registered
477 Posts
I suggest you enjoy it as is for a while, learn to ride and take the rider safety course, but they can be made into something special...
I had this ones little brother...a 1980 CM200 that was originally purchased for my ex. Wound up 16 years later being my son's first bike. The frame was pretty traditional underneath all that swoopy cruiser styled crap. We lowered the front end about an inch in the triple clamps, put a set of mildly used 13.5" shocks on it and fitted a modified 450 seat. Got rid of the mini ape hangers in favour of a set of drag bars and some decent tires. Eventually fitted a 400 four tank that fit better than the stock one. Made a huge difference in that little bike, it would go around a corner just as good or better than my Commando, just took a little longer to get up to speed. Had plans of fitting it with an 18" rear wheel. I used to love taking it out on the twisty bits when he wasn't using it...even though I looked like a bloody big circus bear riding a tricycle. Not a bad start at all for kid with very little money and big ideas.
He sold it to a friends wife she is still riding the crap out of it...yep, they're a tough little machine...they'll take you around the world, as long as you're not in a big rush.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1982 cm250 conversion

I suggest you enjoy it as is for a while, learn to ride and take the rider safety course, but they can be made into something special...
I had this ones little brother...a 1980 CM200 that was originally purchased for my ex. Wound up 16 years later being my son's first bike. The frame was pretty traditional underneath all that swoopy cruiser styled crap. We lowered the front end about an inch in the triple clamps, put a set of mildly used 13.5" shocks on it and fitted a modified 450 seat. Got rid of the mini ape hangers in favour of a set of drag bars and some decent tires. Eventually fitted a 400 four tank that fit better than the stock one. Made a huge difference in that little bike, it would go around a corner just as good or better than my Commando, just took a little longer to get up to speed. Had plans of fitting it with an 18" rear wheel. I used to love taking it out on the twisty bits when he wasn't using it...even though I looked like a bloody big circus bear riding a tricycle. Not a bad start at all for kid with very little money and big ideas.
He sold it to a friends wife she is still riding the crap out of it...yep, they're a tough little machine...they'll take you around the world, as long as you're not in a big rush.
Say, you wouldn't have a picture of the end result would you ? Just bought one and planned on changhing its looks as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Say, you wouldn't have a picture of the end result would you ? Just bought one and planned on changhing its looks as well.
I just bought a CM250c as a commuter bike and I plan on doing a build on it. It will not be a café racer; rather, it will lean toward the flat track/scrambler styling that seems fairly popular with a dystopian post-apocalypse look (flat paint, etc.) I'm a fan of the old Kawasaki Enduro bike styling circa 1973 and the Harley Davidson XR1000 flat track racer from the 1980s:

Kawasaki Enduro:

The bike I plan to do the build with:

I can post pics of the build as I go along for you young guys if you're interested.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
I just bought a CM250c as a commuter bike and I plan on doing a build on it. It will not be a café racer; rather, it will lean toward the flat track/scrambler styling that seems fairly popular with a dystopian post-apocalypse look (flat paint, etc.) I'm a fan of the old Kawasaki Enduro bike styling circa 1973 and the Harley Davidson XR1000 flat track racer from the 1980s:
#1: Start your own thread, it's not hard to do.

#2: Consider getting a motorcycle more suited to build a custom tracker style bike.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
13 Posts
#1: Start your own thread, it's not hard to do.

#2: Consider getting a motorcycle more suited to build a custom tracker style bike.

Danger, is my business."

What the hell kind of response is this? I'm talking to the two kids who own the Honda's, posting for information on building their bikes. I'm not posting for guys like you. If I need to start a thread on a build I will, but only if there's interest. That's about the limit and scope of my post.

BTW, if I want to build a CM250 to LOOK like a tracker, that's none of your business.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
What the hell kind of response is this? I'm talking to the two kids who own the Honda's, posting for information on building their bikes. I'm not posting for guys like you. If I need to start a thread on a build I will, but only if there's interest. That's about the limit and scope of my post.

BTW, if I want to build a CM250 to LOOK like a tracker, that's none of your business.
Dear diary, is this your first time on the internet?

You posted in a public forum, you should expect comments and criticism (of which you received in the politest way possible for members of this board).

·
Banned
4,894 Posts

It's a response.

It's an open forum. In fact you are posting for everyone to read. It's the business.

I think you have reached a limit and are all scoped out.

This web site is not really about making motorcycles "LOOK like a", anything. :)

Stick around, you might learn something from all the clever guys, and me as well. I'm pretty damn clever.

Now go, gently click your ego into N, read some more posts, and let your mind idle happily in the corner for a while.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dear diary, is this your first time on the internet?

You posted in a public forum, you should expect comments and criticism (of which you received in the politest way possible for members of this board).
LOL, and naturally you're prepared to get as good as you give.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's a response.

It's an open forum. In fact you are posting for everyone to read. It's the business.

I think you have reached a limit and are all scoped out.

This web site is not really about making motorcycles "LOOK like a", anything. :)

Stick around, you might learn something from all the clever guys, and me as well. I'm pretty damn clever.

Now go, gently click your ego into N, read some more posts, and let your mind idle happily in the corner for a while.

Danger, is my business."
Yes, it's an open forum apparently. So what have you done to address the OP's original question? Come into this thread to be of help have you? Or just to be "clever"?

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
U
Yes, it's an open forum apparently. So what have you done to address the OP's original question? Come into this thread to be of help have you? Or just to be "clever"?
As this thread is almost two years old, clever is about all that's left. The OP did a long time ago!

·
Registered
13 Posts
U

As this thread is almost two years old, clever is about all that's left. The OP did a long time ago!
Revived by a young chap looking for a bit of advice on building his CM200 (no, not me). Yeah, well maybe I should start a new thread on a CM250 build just to show it can be done, and to rub a few café pseudo experts the wrong way.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Don't over estimate you ability to irritate...... After all, a CM250 isn't a CX500C

·
Registered
7,013 Posts

Kawasaki Enduro:

The bike I plan to do the build with:

I can post pics of the build as I go along for you young guys if you're interested.
Harley never made an XR1000 flat track racer in the 80's.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts