Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a 1982 Suzuki GS450 from my brother...

I got it from him all tore apart IMG_20151002_1802151_rewind.jpg

I got it into a rolling chaise, now I need detailed help with the wiring, can someone please help me?

IMG_20151017_1816041_rewind.jpg IMG_20151017_1816041_rewind.jpg

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This what's have so far...
IMG_20151018_1547333_rewind-45197742.jpg
I can't figure out what the white/green wire goes too by the rectifier or the red wire with the weird cap on it or the two wires next to the red one go too

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also have the front of the wire harness and can't find where these wires go...
IMG_20151018_1610430_rewind-45199050.jpg
Nearest I can figure is turn signals but I don't think that's it
2 yellow
2 orange
1 white
1 black
1 green

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
One of these is your wiring diagram. On earlier models one leg of the generator went through the headlight switch so the output was lessened when the headlight is switched off. Later it looks like they just deleted the switch but the wires run up to the front of the bike. Between these two diagrams, you should be able to get it sorted. BTW, it is best to eliminate that loop entirely. Plug the Green/White from the generator into the Orange/White lead of the regulator.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,563 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you 8ball i think this will be really helpful...

in the picture did you notice the red wire with a wierd cap on it, do you know what it goes to? its the upper right blue arrow

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
That is part of the 15 Amp fuse holder (located right next to the starter relay in the color diagram)

BTW, What you have labeled as "Generator" would be the Signal Generator not the generator

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
That red wire from the battery to the starter relay will be a thick wire. It isn't hooked up in this photo, but it is the red lead that goes to the battery (+). The small red wire on yours that has the fuse on it (or part of the fuse holder) comes from the same terminal on the starter relay and goes to the fuse box on mine and the 15 Amp fuse is the main fuse in the box. I don't see a fuse box on your bike, so that one fused wire goes to the ignition switch and feeds everything.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok thank you, you are being extremely helpful..
So I need a thick red wire going from battery to starter relay, and the small red with inline fuse going to fuse box...
On the other end of the starter relay go to the black wire coming from the starter.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
FUSE BOX.jpg

This is what i have so far...
there is a yellow wire coming from your starter relay going to the wire harness, i dont have that (previous owner prob cut and splice it) i do have a black wire going from starter relay up to the right hand controls (possible starter button)

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
The small wire to the starter relay coil (not the main contact posts) should go to the clutch lever switch, then over to the start button. The PO may have eliminated the clutch switch (starter cut off switch is how it's labeled I the diagram). This is a safety to prevent the starter from turning when in gear without the clutch lever pulled.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok thank you so much for your help in this wiring nightmare...
on the wiring harness itself this is what i have so far...
harness.jpg
i still cant figure out where the wires with the red (X) goes

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I can't tell what color those wires are. You need to peel back the tape on the harness to see what color they were before they got dirty, stained and faded. Also, what colors are the wires you have labeled "Rectifier"? I don't think they are for the rectifier....at least not all of them

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
View attachment 16605

This is what i have so far...
there is a yellow wire coming from your starter relay going to the wire harness, i dont have that (previous owner prob cut and splice it) i do have a black wire going from starter relay up to the right hand controls (possible starter button)
The box you've labelled "fuse box" is actually the ignitor unit (GS450 only runs one fuse, they don't have a fuse box). The signal generator connects into here somehow (whether it's via a dedicated connector or through the loom).

1 - 20 of 51 Posts