Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I fab'd the knee bends with a hammer and used bondo to smooth it out. Also, used bondo to fix big dents in the front on both sides.
Tank I.jpg Tank II.jpg Tank III.jpg

·
Registered
10,489 Posts
Thing is dying for pod filters!
have you thought about lowering the front? Easy, just slide the forks up the triple.
picture of the bondoed tank is bad ass, how come you didn't use it in the last pictures.

i know those bikes are heavy, great idea adding lightness by ditching the fender? Can you feel the difference?

still see stuff you could paint flat black, get on that.

keep up the good work!

Akso google do the ton.
go there if all you want to do is play dress up, or get all butt hurt when people point out how much fail is going on.

if you care to know what you are doing wrong we will tell you if you want.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
in the first pic it looks fine. stock bike w/ superbike bars. a maxim thou? how bout changing it back to stock before you do any real damage (like cutting it up). a seca 650 would be nice w/ tires and suspension upgrades. rearsets. and it would be a better starting point. (don't cut that up either). View attachment 2868

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
You know... we all poo on the chopper cruizers from the 80's...... the Maxims , old Vulcans and the CB "C" models of the era etc... however they make excellent Bososzoku style bikes !

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
how bout changing it back to stock before you do any real damage (like cutting it up).
Why? It's a maxim, It's virtually worthless to begin with so why not make it slightly less unfuckable.

It will NOT however be anything even close to worthy of carrying the mantle of "racer" anywhere in it's description without cubic truckloads of money and talent and at that point the only thing left that is maxim would be the engine. maybe.

All it is now is an uncomfortble wobbly sport chopper. maybe you can make some kind of cut down custom out of it or something I dunno....keep doing something with it, I don't think it can get much uglier.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
You know... we all poo on the chopper cruizers from the 80's...... the Maxims , old Vulcans and the CB "C" models of the era etc...
I don't know that we "poo" on them. I think they are good bikes when you need something to soak up some highway miles in the middle lane at 75mph for a couple of hours. most are reliable, fast, and have the ride quality of a 1967 cadillac made out of marshmallow and rolling on half flat tires. They are just shit starting points for anything performance oriented, espically when the performance version of the same motor can usally be had for the same money. Why spend the money putting non leading axle forks, dual discs, and an 18" rear wheel on a maxim when you can by a same year seca for the same money and get all the upgrades for free.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What a heap of shit.

i gues it doesn't matter though since you are building a chopper anyway.
Lovely crowd. Hey I'm not close to finished. I have rear shocks to add, seat and tank to put on, mufflers to change, etc.... You guys can talk your shit. It's cool. I like my Chopper piece of shit and they way it is coming along. Can't wait to hear what you say about my future pics. :cool:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thing is dying for pod filters!
have you thought about lowering the front? Easy, just slide the forks up the triple.
picture of the bondoed tank is bad ass, how come you didn't use it in the last pictures.

i know those bikes are heavy, great idea adding lightness by ditching the fender? Can you feel the difference?

still see stuff you could paint flat black, get on that.

keep up the good work!

Akso google do the ton.
go there if all you want to do is play dress up, or get all butt hurt when people point out how much fail is going on.

if you care to know what you are doing wrong we will tell you if you want.
Yes, pod filters are in the future. Tough crowd in here huh?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What a heap of shit.

i gues it doesn't matter though since you are building a chopper anyway.
Geeto, I love my heap of shit and will continue to make it into what I like. If you don't like it...... fuck it, cool with me. I bought what I could afford and what I could learn who to rebuild on. This is my very first project ever and I am open to criticism about what I am doing. But your opinion will not slow me down! Cheers

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Lovely crowd. Hey I'm not close to finished. I have rear shocks to add, seat and tank to put on, mufflers to change, etc.... You guys can talk your shit. It's cool. I like my Chopper piece of shit and they way it is coming along. Can't wait to hear what you say about my future pics. :cool:
It's important to have a good sense of humor about these things. If you were taking it too seriously it isn't a good sign.

honestly, we are having a bit of fun at your expense but there is some truth behind it, you probably couldn't have picked a worse platform to start with from an economic and finished product standpoint. If you are having fun then awesome, just don't expect people to think too highly of the bike (not your work to it, the bike itself - even if you picked the most perfect platform in the world we'd still beat you up about the knee dents).

can we talk about your knee dents? I know you are super proud of them and all but really they are kind of a poser thing. You decreased your fuel capacity (can be up to a gallon depending on how deep) and added weight. it's like the #1 tell tale sign that you don't really know what you are doing to think this is a more important mod than say....fixing your godawful riding position. I know you think they look cool and all and they probably do but I honestly can't think of something less functional you could do to your motorcycle.

Here's the thing. This part of the m/c hobby isnt like choppers. With choppers it's all style, who cares if it can move 10 feet without killing you. But here the driving motivation behind modding the bike should be making it work better. function first, then form. don't worry about forcing it to look like some 1950's english rocker shat it out curbside, that will just make your work harder and deliver a less than stellar riding experence. If you approach your bike with a chopper mentality all you will build is a chopper, and you'll kind of miss the point. doesn't matter how authentic it looks if it can't back it up it's a bummer.

think you got it? don't worry kid, by this time next month you'll either hate bikes and us or your whole perspecitve will change and the hobby will only get better for you. it's all up to you.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Are pod filters a bad idea? This is my first go at this and could use actual advice.
generally yes they are. There are intances where they would be useful but on a stock engined bike with stock carbs and an owner with no carb tuning experence they can ruin the hobby for you pretty quick.

Here's the thing, these aren't like cars where the factory choked everything down by limiting the air making to the carb, a lot of your driveability (part throttle fueling) is tied to the plenum effect and the design of the stock airbox. Most people don't know this because they are stuipd but generally speaking most bikes lose HP when they switch to pod filters on stock engines with stock carbs. If you were switching to race carbs or something that wouldn't work with your stock airbox pods are your only option for filters, but as long as the bike runs well then might as well not fool with it. If you start hopping up the engine internals, then we'll talk.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts