Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a line on a GPZ750 Kaw that had a small fire on the electrical. The rest of the bike is fine and I have a wire harness to do the project. The bike will cost about 1000 to buy with the parts - any thoughts??? Do you guys think this would be a good project for a resell project??

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
pix? postage stamp sized ones at least?

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
it sure seems likely to me if the carbs/tank aren't melted

the Japanese seemed quite content to wire motorcycles and cars like they were hifi equipment or indoors appliances for years

at least they didn't use crayola insulated wiring like the Swedish tried for so very long

my favorite Swedish wiring blunder has to be the Saab 900S with the main harness and ignition switch located just inches away from the cat converter........ and with this same crayola wiring that you could scrape the insulation off with your fingernails even when it wasn't exposed to heat

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should have snapped a picture of it this last weekend, I'll be back in the shop on Wed and post a picture. It has a small faring mounted to the Handle bars with a square head light. The tank is clean with minor burning marks - I'd be repainting the entire bike anyways.

HackaSaw - the carbs did get a little cooked and most likely will need changing which I have access to carbs to change out or just rebuild the rubber and plastic parts. Except for the left side of the electrical, the bike looks pretty clean. As a side-note - I wrench part-time at a mc savage yard and have full access to the entire inventory at the shop. The gpz is one of the bikes that just came in from an auction and I thought it might be a pretty good project bike.

I checked out ebay for examples of this bike and could find nothing other than 1985's with full fairings (turbo and non-turbo) that were not selling very well. I though I'd pool from this vast knowledge of folks on this site to see what they think. Right now the bike is painted a burgundy color - yuck. The color scheme I want to use would be Kaw lime green with black and white accents. I'd like to turn this into a 5 - 6k turn around project.

Keep the inputs coming, I have a little time before committing money to this project.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I don't see this as a big money maker for you. Especially, if you don't want to hang on to it until the right offer comes along. I can't see getting more than 2K out of it and with all the labor and parts and paint that doesn't leave much of a profit margin unless you work for free. On the other hand, if you fixed it up and kept it, it would be a really nice street bike, done up in the Kawi green with a 4-1 and some piggy back shocks and superbike bars.

Ken

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think you guys are right - I'm doing more research on this bike and I don't see how this could be turned into a decent money maker. It would make a nice project street bike but as an investment bike it's looking pretty limited.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
let me know if you have a (hopefully working) caliper for a honda rebel...... one of the earlier ones that use the thinner pads and does not have the inboard pad keyed into one of the caliper mount studs

I'm adapting one and ordered my missing guide pin

when it got here I found out why it was gone

the old one had gotten stuck and the attempts to drill/extract it were unsucessful

so not it has bimetal threads of the 9x1 size

and I don't see any easy way to fix it

I'd say a much better investment would be the Z bike that Leo has for sale

much more potential as in higher hammer prices

and a market for them overseas even if they are not stock...... Norway loves them and I know Leo isn't reading this and if he is he's thinking I'm full of baloney

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We have one 85-86 rebel in stock with a smacked up front end. The engine size is a 250 and the brake caliber is what your looking for. Pricing on the part is 60 dollars. Let me know.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
lil 250 and I'll guess like 85ish

I wouldn't mind a set of 450 rebel wheels though

I dig them

they were all the same until they went to the 9mm thick pads

two piston caliper which slides on it's mount pins

both pistons on the outboard side

two 10x1 allen set screw looking things that screw in and locate the pads

let me know and I'll ring that way with some plastic

I can go snap a pic of it but it's one like this....... I know hard to tell about the caliper but the front wheel is 450

the rims are crazy cool

wish those rims were available in either WM3 or 4 17's or 18's

tubeless spoked wheels are cool

have any late Guzzi's with tubeless spoked wheels up there?

don't want the BMW type since the spokes have to be adjusted at the hubs

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No Guzzi parts - the rear wheel is available on the rebel..

Let me know and I'll get you hooked up..

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
yeah man

shoot me a phone number with best times to call and we'll see what we can do

·
Registered
326 Posts
If you want to make money from salvaged Kawasakis then you need to look at the standard KZ lines.
The 650s will probably outsell the 750s and the 900/1000s will out sell both combined. The problem is finding a good 900/1000 that someone doesn't want an arm and a leg for. The LTDs don't hurt the price on the 1000 and may all things being equal even sell higher than a standard model or CSRs even though the LTD's were not as rare. They(LTDs) were more money to buy new though and are still the most popular style of KZ.

I actually prefer the look of the wire wheeled KZs/CSRs and I think they look more raw which is the feeling I get when I ride a KZ in the first place. KZ's don't give you any false sense of "Oh I can be a Bad Boy if you make me mad" they were born MEAN!

If you can get them and piece them together the 900/1000 will make you money as will the H1s and H2s,but those are even harder to find these days and rebuilding a H1/H2 could be cost prohibitive unless your just wanting to keep the bike as your own.

I feel the popularity of the KZ650s may warrant a look in that direction if your looking to piece bikes together to re-sell.
There are tons of parts out there for them,they have a huge following(especially in the vintage KZ circles,everyone seems to want one if they don't already have one),parts are still relatively cheap,whole bikes can still be found running,restoreable w/title for under $750.00.

My buddy bought his from the back of a pawn shop for $600.00 and it runs great..really,really great. That bike is weird because it has a mis-matched pipe/header,leaks out of at least one fuel bowl,has old-ass plugs,needs plug wires,has old style points ignition but it carborates perfectly!??? No,popping,no bogging,runs smooth from idle to red-line and pulls strong all the way!

The Honda 750 Fours are also starting to climb back up in price,but parts I don't think have caught up yet except for OEM exhausts which are CRAZY expensive. Good,complete,clean CB750s are starting to bring good money and will only go up in the years to come. If you can get in and find good canidates,frames,engines etc. you MIGHT be able to make a profit,but as I said the Honda crowd just doesn't seem to be as forgiving if it's not close to being perfect or parts are of the wrong year/vintage.

The deal with them is to get the money buyers want a more original bike than what you can get away with on a KZ650 or KZ1000. For some reason people EXPECT a KZ to have stacks,jet kit,superbike style bars and a full Kerker exhaust! Even different year engines/frames are not as big of a deal with the KZs as long as the swaps were done correctly.

The KZ900 not so much at least not anymore. Those that are out there being restored are for the most part being restored to at least LOOK like factory spec bike due to there value is just too high not to do it that way. Collectors set the price and when all the pristine,low mileage,"perfect" bikes are gone or too high a price then they go looking for restored bikes that LOOK original as the next best thing.

Another couple of other bikes that REALLY hold their value are the Yamaha V-max and the Honda V65 Magna. Of course now the Honda CBX has somehow been "rediscovered" or something and prices are getting silly on them when a decade ago you couldn't get $2,000-3,000 out of a really nice one?

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool -
I well aware of the early hondas resell values - I have three to play with - 2 69's and 1 71. I'm building one 69 to original for resell now. (My other 69 is my baby and will never be for sale..and the 71 which is in boxes and who knows) At first look, the gpz looked like a nice project bike. It had all the classic lines of an early Kawasaki with one foot into the modern bike world. Not following the Kaw'ee world, I'm was wondering if an 83 gpz750 was a good potential bike to build for resell. It's just one of those bikes that you look at and say to yourself, that's a neat looking bike. I'm just wondering if other would see the same thing and translate that into dollars for my time spent. Based on the comments here, that doesn't appear to be so.

thanks for the comments - keep them coming..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts